Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help preserving 2001 GU ZD30

G day Guys and Gals, I've recently bought the above vehicle and Im about to head off to Exmouth (about 1200km each way) Towing an 18 foot van. The van weighs around 1500kg loaded and I have noticed that when towing the van I have a hard time keeping the boost up for any length could this be the MAF or is it just a symptom of the donk being under load?

I have a boost gauge fitted but I wont have time to do any other mods or gauges as I am heading back to work for three weeks shortly then were are heading off. The Patrol has done 200k's and seems original, goes well and doesn't make any horrible noises or anything.

Just trying to not get stuck in the middle of nowhere, so any tips most welcome!!

Cheers.

Jeff​

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
From my limited reading on here it could be the inbuilt safety feature that cuts boost so you don't run high boost for extended periods, this is a guess from a novice, so take it only as that.

I think others may ask; what is the actual boost you are seeing and how does it fluctuate or change, etc??

I would suggest reading the reference document, it is really helpful and has a scenario played out that at a glance sounds similar to what you have described.

Cheers
Charles.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
If nothing else mate. get a new maf,replace with the new one and wack the spare in the glovebox. If a maf does fail and you havent got the gauges to see whats goin on and not up with engines can do some damage.
As far as boost goes, you need to block the egr and fit a dawes valve, you wont know the car or what the boost does!!!
Wait till you get back and do the rest of the mods as mentioned here on the forum. Service the big girl and rest easy, you would of put the very best gaffa tape on the pin!! lol
Only joking I love my 3l. and its been dusted and Im not worried!!
Cheers
Zappa

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my limited reading on here it could be the inbuilt safety feature that cuts boost so you don't run high boost for extended periods, this is a guess from a novice, so take it only as that.

I think others may ask; what is the actual boost you are seeing and how does it fluctuate or change, etc??

I would suggest reading the reference document, it is really helpful and has a scenario played out that at a glance sounds similar to what you have described.

Cheers
Charles.
If I floor the pedal I'm looking at about 2 or 3 PSI if back off I can raise it to about 5 PSI, and it will eventually creep up. My main concern is over fueling and melting pistons. She who must be obeyed is driving the first leg as I will be coming off night shift and refuses to believe that "her" car could ever detonate!!

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If nothing else mate. get a new maf,replace with the new one and wack the spare in the glovebox. If a maf does fail and you havent got the gauges to see whats goin on and not up with engines can do some damage.
As far as boost goes, you need to block the egr and fit a dawes valve, you wont know the car or what the boost does!!!
Wait till you get back and do the rest of the mods as mentioned here on the forum. Service the big girl and rest easy, you would of put the very best gaffa tape on the pin!! lol
Only joking I love my 3l. and its been dusted and Im not worried!!
Cheers
Zappa
Thanks ZappaGU,

I'm servicing the beast tomorrow with new filters, new oil and the new MAF is on its way, so hopefully she will survive the expedition. As mentioned I wont have time for the Dawes unless I get I get held back from work for some reason. But I will be watching the boost gauge with interest!!

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to keep harping on but what is the delivery time from 3barrs??? supposes 6 days is out of the question???

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
G day Guys and Gals, I've recently bought the above vehicle and Im about to head off to Exmouth (about 1200km each way) Towing an 18 foot van. The van weighs around 1500kg loaded and I have noticed that when towing the van I have a hard time keeping the boost up for any length could this be the MAF or is it just a symptom of the donk being under load?
I have a boost gauge fitted but I wont have time to do any other mods or gauges as I am heading back to work for three weeks shortly then were are heading off. The Patrol has done 200k's and seems original, goes well and doesn't make any horrible noises or anything.

Just trying to not get stuck in the middle of nowhere, so any tips most welcome!!

Cheers.

Jeff​
Mate the best advice I can give you is fit an EGT gauge as quick as possible even if you only jury rig it up, the boost gauge on its own does not tell you a lot. Your Troll is the same model as mine so (but they are all a little different) somewhere over 3 grand in 5th your boost will start to drop off and then your EGT's will climb, this is part of the danger zone.

Re Dawes, it depends on his stock status and the recent harsh weather in his area.

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks buddy will see what I can organize.
Anyone know of anywhere that sells Pyro Gauges in Perth or Mandurah?

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah and do I need and exhaust place to weld a nut on the exhaust or somthing?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Oh yeah and do I need and exhaust place to weld a nut on the exhaust or somthing?
Yes, you will need the appropriate fitting drilled and welded into the dump pipe, takes 10 minutes once you have the heat shield off, that can be tricky, there are a couple of different sizes so you will need to check Gauge sender unit.

Preferably fit it close to the turbo flange but, the EGT Survey we did some time back showed that there is not a huge amount of difference even if halfway down the dump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts