Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have two disconnected hoses under the right hand side of my GU TB45E. (Images)
They have been like this for some time and the car goes and stops fine.
I suspect break type hose as I have an ABS light on but really not sure and can't find any reference in my Haynes manual or on this forum.
Thanks
20201231_121631.jpg
20201231_121414.jpg

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,736 Posts
I think they're the breathers for your gearbox and transfer case. If you've been through any water or dust I'd change the oils. Reconnect them ASAP.

Reactions: Flanders_Factory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Yes, confirmed them as cooling pipes for the auto trans.
20201231_160553.jpg

I can see a stray branch in just the wrong angle ripping it off its fitting.
I've just checked the trans oil and surprised to find the level to be ok.
I'll keep an eye on the levels after refit.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,736 Posts
I don't know much about autos (never drove one until I was well into my 30's) but I suspect the oil level will drop when the cooler & pipes fill. They could also be full of all sorts of crap, so I'd flush them first & then flush the transmision, you don't know what's in there if they've been off for a while.

Reactions: 45/70

·
Registered
nissan
4,985 Posts
As mentioned, they’re breather pipes. You can follow them up the left inside guard.
That image is someone’s wrong guess.

The fluid cooler outlet is a banjo fitting on the front right of the box and it then runs across in front of the pan to join the return line which are both bolted to the left side of the sump using sump bolts.

If the cooler lines are open they’ll pump the fluid out as soon as you start the engine. That’s how you flush the fluid.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,736 Posts
Told you I know SFA about autos.

Reactions: GUzdute

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned, they’re breather pipes. You can follow them up the left inside guard.
That image is someone’s wrong guess.

The fluid cooler outlet is a banjo fitting on the front right of the box and it then runs across in front of the pan to join the return line which are both bolted to the left side of the sump using sump bolts.

If the cooler lines are open they’ll pump the fluid out as soon as you start the engine. That’s how you flush the fluid.
I thought cooling pipes should pump oil out if disconnected, hence why I checked the trans level straight away. Thanks for the extra info, seems even the manual can get it wrong.
Much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts