Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys just cleaning out old useless wiring on my new GQ for a roadie and came across these near the steering collumn/kick panel! Any guess as to what it is and if it should stay??
In a Gq Tb42s Auto
Any Help would be great!! Thanks in advance
HallysGQ

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
My Mav has just the two green plugs and no box thingy it's auto as well I was wondering what they were for

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I first thought it might have been power windows amp (if you have power windows)

It looks a little bit after market - could be an alarm system?

As above unplug and see what stops working

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
I don't mean to sound arrogant but I see big potential for problems here. If you know how to use a test light & a multi-meter then go ahead & remove wiring. If you don't, then don't touch it. In a car of that age you never know what has had to be changed in order to keep things working so even if anyone says it shouldn't be there, pulling it out isn't necessarily the answer. You should see if it's live 1st & trace it to it's source & it's destination.

In 20yrs of working on cars I've never seen an accessory with wiring like that. It looks like part of the original wiring harness & the black plastic box is some sort of module, possibly for the eng/auto trans. Those 2 glass fuse holders don't look stock but I could be wrong.

Immobilizers have half that amount of wires & the wires are all black. It could be an old alarm system but again, that's a crap load of wires, even for the most complex of alarms.

That is a typical place for Nissan to have control boxes/modules.

I have to ask, what are you trying to achieve here? I get the idea of giving the whole car a once over to make sure all is in good order for the trip but I think you're going a bit far wanting to remove that thing. It looks like it's neatly wired & isn't taking up space you could use for something else so why worry about it?

I'd be more concerned with all that other crap hanging down around the pedals.

·
Registered
nissan
1,836 Posts
2 possibilities that I came up with while looking at the wiring diagram in the Gregory's manual could be either " Auto transmission and rear locking differential control unit " or "ECU engine control unit for fuel and engine management " I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,220 Posts
I don't mean to sound arrogant but I see big potential for problems here. If you know how to use a test light & a multi-meter then go ahead & remove wiring. If you don't, then don't touch it. In a car of that age you never know what has had to be changed in order to keep things working so even if anyone says it shouldn't be there, pulling it out isn't necessarily the answer. You should see if it's live 1st & trace it to it's source & it's destination.

In 20yrs of working on cars I've never seen an accessory with wiring like that. It looks like part of the original wiring harness & the black plastic box is some sort of module, possibly for the eng/auto trans. Those 2 glass fuse holders don't look stock but I could be wrong.

Immobilizers have half that amount of wires & the wires are all black. It could be an old alarm system but again, that's a crap load of wires, even for the most complex of alarms.

That is a typical place for Nissan to have control boxes/modules.

I have to ask, what are you trying to achieve here? I get the idea of giving the whole car a once over to make sure all is in good order for the trip but I think you're going a bit far wanting to remove that thing. It looks like it's neatly wired & isn't taking up space you could use for something else so why worry about it?

I'd be more concerned with all that other crap hanging down around the pedals.

Sounds like my missus,anything she can't see an immeadiate use for goes,[if it's not her's],

"now where did I leave those parts ?"

sometimes I'm surprised I'm still here,:eek:

Cheers,G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts