1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2016 Y61 Patrol, purchased 31/08/2016
At 53,000 Kms, there was a Rocker Cover Leak, and they replaced the Rocker Cover under Warranty.
At 57,000 Kms, When that was getting fixed, they found "slight weep from Trans Case Output Seal".
Due to Loss of seal tension.
Removed and Replaced Seal.
At the same time, they found "diesel leaking from return pipe", due to material fatigue.
Removed and Replaced Injector Return Line, Cleaned Diesel from Top of Rocker Cover, and Road Tested.
Fixed under warranty.

29/04/2020, at 66,000 klms, I took the Car in, for the 60,000 Km Service. Now out of Warranty.
"During Service, found the following items, require attention.
Rocker Cover is leaking (again), due to poor lip tension.
Will submit a goodwill to Nissan, to see if they can assist with Repairs.

Turbo has a Coolant Leak and hose is leaking due to poor part durability.
Will submit a goodwill to Nissan to see if they can assist with the Repairs".

Now, Nissan will replace the Rocker Cover (again), under warranty.
As far as the Turbo Coolant Leak is concerned, Nissan in Darwin, (where I purchased the Car), will go me halves, in this Repair.

My half, just under $ 1,000.00

This Car does get around, doing 130 km per hour (the speed limit up here, on certain Roads), for 3 or 4 hours a month, Towing a Small Trailer most of the time, and a 2 Tonne Boat, a Couple of times a Year. The rest of the time, it has about 200 kg, of Tools, in the back, and is just driven around Town.
The only time it has been in 4 Wheel Drive, is pulling the Boat out of the water, on a Boat Ramp, and the 4 kms, back to camp, a few times a month.

The Car is pretty Basic, with no mechanical after market modifications.

Do You think the $ 1,000.00 is justified, because I don't.
TYIA
Jeff

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,018 Posts
Where is this coolant leak at the turbo, can you take a pic? Mysterious.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding geeyoutoo.
I crawled under the Car Yesterday, to See if I could find anything, and I couldn't.
I don't even know where to start looking Yet.
As far as the Oil Leak is concerned, there was pretty much only 1 Drop, and a couple of damp areas.
There is only a small amount, on the Concrete under the Car.
Yesterday, I cleaned the engine, with degreaser, because this Weekend, I am taking the car, for another 500 km Round trip, where 200 kms, will be done, at 130 km/hr, towing the Trailer.
I will have another look, when I get back.
I have not done that Speed, for a couple of months, due to Covid19.

I assume, I have to remove the Top Cover, to see where the Coolant might be leaking from.
I have not yet done that before, as the reason for spending $ 60 K, 4 years ago, was so that I wouldn't have to get my hands dirty again.
Now that it is out of warranty, I am less concerned.

I will Buy a Service Manual, and do some home work, so that I have some idea, of what to look at, and where to look.

Where I do get lucky every now and again, I am closer to useless working on Cars, than a Mechanic.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,018 Posts
Don't understand about the coolant leak you mention at the turbo and your share to fix this is $1000, the CRD doesn't have a water cooled turbo.

You can download the Factory Workshop manual from the DI archives, it goes to supp 15 which is a little before yours but still applies, I have one that goes to supp 23 but it is way too big for me to store, 15 will do you fine, #post 9 in DI archives.

·
Registered
All work done the hard way with blood, sweat and beers
284 Posts
Hi Jeff, I had a minor coolant leak on my ZD (it was a DI but I assume the layout is more or less the same as yours). It appeared to be coming from somewhere under the turbo as you describe, but I couldn't see where as there was so much s**t in the way lol. Anyway I let it go for a couple of years as it didn't bother me, there was no noticeable coolant loss from the radiator/overflow- it was just a slow leak and for my mechanic to find it would have cost me heaps. This is what it looked like when I eventually pulled the motor for a TD conversion:

It turned out it was coming from the oil cooler gasket. I replaced this before I sold the motor but had to remove a heap of stuff to get at it.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have probably done close to 1000 Km since I cleaned the engine.
The only Oil I can see, is at the bottom of the Flywheel, and the Sump.
I will let them have another go, at fixing that under warranty.
The Coolant Leak,I just checked the Level, and the Radiater is Full, The 2nd Bottle is Full, and the 3rd Bottle is sitting on the Maximium line. I am not losing coolant.
There is sign of coolant coming out of the 2nd Cap, under pressure. Probably about a 3 inch Calcification spray, around the Cap, but it was dry, when I looked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts