Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here goes for my first post, Ive been reading and learning heaps from this forum for some time now, and the wealth of knowledge around here is great...

Soo, I've undertaken a little rebuild on my gq shorty and have recently resprayed it with Valspar's IMU.TB540 with I believe is the new label for LIC 40. It has come up real well so far.

Just needing some advise with fixing a couple of "stuff ups"... like getting rid of the extra paint build up at the edge of masking tape as well as some small areas of over spray... Can I wet sand with 1500 and polish this stuff, and is Farecla's G4 the go with a white foam pad with a DA?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.

Yes you are correct that is the new label for LIC 40.

Yes you can rub it even as course as 800 wet then 1500 and then 2000 wet before buffing. We actually use Farecla's G4 for this as well so your research as been spot on. You will find as this paint dries really hard that the sooner you do it the easier it is to buff.

Overspray can be removed with a clay bar which you can buy from an auto paint shop which is designed to remove overspray and grit or if it's only light and on the paint you can remove it with a buff and some Farecla G4.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks Mick. I was always under the impression that 2k wasn't able to be cut and buffed like acrylic. Its just on 2 weeks since I sprayed it and it hasn't seen the sun since so I will get on to it in the next couple of days.

Much appreciated

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,925 Posts
I just had my tray painted with Lic and asked my painter if the cab could be done as well but he advised not to as it will go chalky after time as it's not really suitable. Painted it with sikkens 4 coats of solid no clear. Tray is great though

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
I just had my tray painted with Lic and asked my painter if the cab could be done as well but he advised not to as it will go chalky after time as it's not really suitable. Painted it with sikkens 4 coats of solid no clear. Tray is great though
Thats not true at all unless he was refering to red. If that is the case it should have been done in a clear over base regardless of if it was Sikkens automotive or not. Being an ex automotive painter and paint rep I know all reds in Aust and yellows should have a clear over then for protection against UVs.

I have been using it for about 6 years from putting it on $100,000 + horsefloats when I was building them to putting for on all the new genuine trays which we build for Toyota, Ford, Isuzu, VW, Holden etc. So it it passes QC with most car manufactures it will be fine.

I have also been painting 4wds in it for about 6 years to and there still as shiny as the day it was applied.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
Awesome, thanks Mick. I was always under the impression that 2k wasn't able to be cut and buffed like acrylic. Its just on 2 weeks since I sprayed it and it hasn't seen the sun since so I will get on to it in the next couple of days.

Much appreciated
No dramas mate.

Yes all 2 pack can be buffed.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,925 Posts
Thats not true at all unless he was refering to red. If that is the case it should have been done in a clear over base regardless of if it was Sikkens automotive or not. Being an ex automotive painter and paint rep I know all reds in Aust and yellows should have a clear over then for protection against UVs.

I have been using it for about 6 years from putting it on $100,000 + horsefloats when I was building them to putting for on all the new genuine trays which we build for Toyota, Ford, Isuzu, VW, Holden etc. So it it passes QC with most car manufactures it will be fine.

I have also been painting 4wds in it for about 6 years to and there still as shiny as the day it was applied.
Yep mines red so shall I take it back and demand clear coat ? His reasoning was it will be easier to buff after bush scratches etc

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
Red should always have a clear mate. I returned your pm with more detail.

Clear is also a lot easier to buff scratches out of then a solid colour.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a couple in my garage 92GQ, it's not all back together yet, bit like a jigsaw that ya can't remember the original pic... And where did I put those bolts... I've not sprayed a car before, and had not ever worked with 2k, but real impressed with it. Spend some time researching lic40 on here if you haven't already, heaps of good advise

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Red should always have a clear mate. I returned your pm with more detail.

Clear is also a lot easier to buff scratches out of then a solid colour.
Does this apply for 2-pac as well? I'm about to get my truck re-sprayed in red and the spray painter didn't mention clear coating it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
Does this apply for 2-pac as well? I'm about to get my truck re-sprayed in red and the spray painter didn't mention clear coating it.
Yes mate all reds should be either done in a clear over base or painted in a solid and have 1 coat of clear over it.

Most automotive paint companies wont even warrent red against fading unless it's cleared these days.

All my info is related to 2 pack only I don't use acrylic on anything. lol

A lot of painters don't get into the detailed info on what they use but 95% of painters put a clear on reds if it's a respray. I know when I was a rep there where a lot of shops that weren't even keeping solid colour options in there tinters to shop there painters being lazy.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,925 Posts
My painter says he did 4 coats of solid no clear. Going to drill him today

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the high gloss stuff I used, high gloss!! West coast automotive supplies in bassendean is the place to go

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414049829.792150.jpg

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,563 Posts
Is this stuff as glossy as normal 2 pac paint? Looking at respraying my car with it in white
No, but if you want a really schmick job then you would not be using industrial paint. It is pretty good though. I have used it in white and have no complaints. Mick will be able to tell you how close to normal paint it is, but for a 4wd I think it is a very good option.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,891 Posts
when I looked into lic40 I found there was very limited colours.
is this correct or is it like most paints and can be mixed to make many colours
It can be matched to any solid colour using the specro which measures a sample and gives you a colour code close. They have an industrial line which can be used in pearls and metallic's as well.

Is this stuff as glossy as normal 2 pac paint? Looking at respraying my car with it in white
It's about 80% of what normal 2 pack is mixed for wet on wet or if the job is fully primed and prepped then painted it will be about 90%. There is not really less gloss it's just a thicker peelier paint so it looses a bit of gloss because of the peel.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,563 Posts
A couple of photos of mine. Done by a dodgy painter, and it has not been buffed. But not too bad for a 4wd I reckon.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts