Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of any upcoming diesel fitting apprenticeships in any mines.

Or anyone in the mines that may be able to get me an apprenticeship or can point me in the right direction.

I'm willing to relocate so any state will do. I have a cert 1&2 in automotive mechanical if that makes any difference at all.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
Your in a similar situation to me mate. Cept I'm a qualified lv mechanic. Bern trying to get in as a diesel fitter for approx 6 months now but mainly in Qld. It isn't easy.
From what I've learnt by trying is although a lot less money learn the skills In a workshop in town. Then when you have your ticket you won't have Many dramas getting in. Plus your looking at bout 1500 in tickets and coarses and the like plus dollars going for interviews and stuff. Its expensive bit pays off if you can get in

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was supposed to have a job at John Deere but got bent over with that one. Plenty of yeah sure we'd love to have you....... Oh by the way we don't have any mechanics to train you.

I'm just looking to get away from where I'm currently living but don't know where to look for the jobs.

Getting the money to travel for job interviews is no problem. I just need an interview to go to

Defence Force is out of the question as well because one of my eyes has been f'ed from birth

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
i dunno where your located now but there are plenty of companies around that do alot of the major work for the mines. engine rebuilds, complete engine refurbs and the like. id be trying places like them.
id tell you who ive been trying but that would sort of be cutting my own grass then lol. but try some of the cat or komatsu dealers they normally take people on. its just hassling them enough to get you in. actually another way is try getting onto mining recruitment agencies and just keep hounding them. they should be able to help evenutally. problem for us is that there is alot of qualified fitters making breaking in even harder

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in qld as well. Hastings deering don't do inductions till mid year. Other places like rd Williams aren't currently hiring apprentices. From what I've seen there are a few jobs for fully qual and 2-4th year apprentices, but no one wants to take on a first year.

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
yeah like i say it isnt easy. all you can do is keep trying and hope for the best. if you can get up around gladstone, rocky, mackey all big mining towns thats what id be trying to do. although very very very expensive to rent up round there due to the big economy from the mines.

·
Registered
nissan
92 Posts
Try ringing the recruitment agencies that are located in the regional centres like Mackay directly, I have just come back from three months up on the mines and there is plenty of work. Also try contacting the mining companies directly as they offer apprenticeships as well. Also try going in as a miner then if you get in tell them you want to do an apprenticeship and they will normally put you on as one.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
if it is an apprenticeship you are after, not sure about qld specifically, but I know in WA apprenticeships australia looks after a lot of the mines and ports for the likes of rio and woodside with the apprentices. If your halfway there you may be able to pick up one of the FIFO spots through them. They generally recruit in the middle of the year and the end of the year but give them a go.

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
yeah like i say it isnt easy. all you can do is keep trying and hope for the best. if you can get up around gladstone, rocky, mackey all big mining towns thats what id be trying to do. although very very very expensive to rent up round there due to the big economy from the mines.
What are you talking about? when i was having a look at pricing in Moranbah $650p/wk will get you and old 2br miners hut with a open dirt carport or you could go to a newer 3br house with 2 car garage for only $1200p/pw although i have been offered a room in an older highset house for $250p/wk.

Try the likes of Leighton's, Downers EDI, Emeco, John Holland, Thesis otherwise as mentioned before, labour hire companies

·
Registered
nissan patrol
89 Posts
What are you talking about? when i was having a look at pricing in Moranbah $650p/wk will get you and old 2br miners hut with a open dirt carport or you could go to a newer 3br house with 2 car garage for only $1200p/pw although i have been offered a room in an older highset house for $250p/wk.

Try the likes of Leighton's, Downers EDI, Emeco, John Holland, Thesis otherwise as mentioned before, labour hire companies
And it will only get worse as demand for labour increases. $1800/week rents where being asked during the last boom.

As for how to get in, it's tough, unless you're a local. Dig through the family tree and see if you have any relatives that live in one of the mining towns and try to board with them for a while. The mining companies generally employ the local kids before out of towners, mostly anyway. Starting as an operator is another option, but you may have to get your start with a contractor then move to a mining company in a few years time, so could be a long path to take.

Good luck with it.

Dave.

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts

And them first 2 are cheap how?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts