Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

ive got the redarc dual system installed in my gu and im trying to get my head around how it works..

i recently left my headlights on at the boatramp early one morning and when i returned my starter battery was dead flat..

Is there any easy way i can use my auxillary to start my truck in that situation??

any info will be helpfull

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
There should be a manual override (connects both battery's) wire comeing out of the Redarc. Blue it is. Put a pushbutton on that to power (I think??? Read instructions) and it will connect both battery's when held down. That will give you enough power to start and it will charge normally.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i found the overide wire..But i dont have the instructions anymore..It was installed by the previous owner..Does anyone have an idea how to connect the switch up??

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
i thought with the redarcs u put a momentary switch in between the blue wire and the auxialy battery pole on the isolator :S could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
As said they have instructions on their website. But i've pretty sure you earth the override.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Just earth the override wire. But if you are planning to start off the 2nd battery you need fairly heavy cable between the two battery's to take the current draw.

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
you put 2nd battery + with a fuse to a momentary push button switch then to the blue wire this will activate the overide thats how i wired my one any way and works

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi guys

Ive wired it up with a momentary push button between the blue wire and the 2nd battery and it seems to be working..when it was wired up there were no fuses installed in either positive cables that run from each battery to the redarc unit. by the looks of the wiring diagrams there should be fuses there , but wouldnt they blow when starting up off my 2nd battery if i needed to use it??

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You apply power to the override wire, not earth as several people have suggested, Or there might be 2 different types about maybe?

The fuses are to stop the car catching fire if the wiring rubs through anywhere. I used 100 amp circuit breakers off Ebay mounted as close to the batteries as possible.

put a small fuse on your wire that feeds the power to the override switch too.

Mine have never tripped when over-riding. I hold the button in for 20 seconds, then while still holding it start the car. This puts some charge into the starting battery before you crank it.

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
^yep same as how I've used mine and how mine is wired.
I also have a charge indicator light on mine but i used a relay so it only lights when there is a problem (like a normal alternator light)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
i have just installed mine a few weeks back. the best way to set this up as i have been told buy many people is you need to use at lest 4 gauge wire between the redarc unit and the batteries you MUST use a 100 amp fuse or circit braker as close as you can to each battery for the over ride switch you conect the blue wire to a push button switch and the other side of the push button switch goes back to the aux side of the redarc unit with a 15 amp fuse inline. hope this helps this what i have done with mine and so have alot of my mate and never have a problem.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Has anyone put a resistor in as it says? if so which 1 have you used?
You only need the resistor if you fit an LED and then only if it isn't a 12 Volt LED.

Save yourelf any heartache if you do want to have an LED to let you know you are pushing the button by buying a 12 volt jobbie (Jaycar, Dick Smith etc)

·
Registered
nissan
71 Posts
You only need the resistor if you fit an LED and then only if it isn't a 12 Volt LED.

Save yourelf any heartache if you do want to have an LED to let you know you are pushing the button by buying a 12 volt jobbie (Jaycar, Dick Smith etc)

Cheers mate im not gunna bother with an led. Can i use a rocker switch or does it have to be a push 1? i have a **** load of rockers laying around thats all

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
If i were using a rocker switch i would also connect up an LED just so i dont forget that the battery's are linked,
If it just a momentery push button i wouldnt bother with the LED.

If your using the second battery for winching also, i would use the rocker switch and an LED, you wouldnt want to hold the push button down as you winching.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Cheers mate im not gunna bother with an led. Can i use a rocker switch or does it have to be a push 1? i have a **** load of rockers laying around thats all
It's fine to use a rocker but if you do so then do what jimako said... buy one of the 12 Volt red flashing led's from Supercrap et al (cost about $6 or so)... two wires to hook up and a small hole to drill about 6mm dia or so.

Then when you "manually" parallel the Batteries a nice little flashing LED will remind you...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts