Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the oil change timing in keeping a tight engine for as long as possible. Usually I have always changed oil every 8,000 k's instead of the recommended 10,000 k's. I am assuming almost all modern oils are good quality and most likely the most expensive are the better ones.( I have never benefitted though as I usually only keep vehicles about 5-6 years) I am now retired and maybe keep this for 10-20 years god willing!!
As this is a high performance motor I probably need to keep on changing oils and filters at around the 8,000 mark. How do our forum members feel about this?
I just recently greased the propeller shafts and uni's and they took about 6-8 pumps on my small grease gun to fill up. The same with my GU 8 when brand new. Probably doesn't matter anyway as as long as they have grease they will be OK.
I just put caravan on car and dropped the tow bar 5-6 cms so just ordered a coilman airbag
system to be fitted next week.:) cheers!!

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Just every 10000kms is absolutely ample. Nothing to be at all gained by doing more. There are probably 100+ major things that will fail ahead of anything related to oil, such as transmission, head gasket, electronics, etc.

Whilst it makes good power, it's far from a performance motor and would have much more up its sleeve if required, hence its not pushing oils that hard at all.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Most of the euro engines are going 20,000ks between service. I would think 10,000 is quite ok for sealed roads with 10% or less of the km towing.

Reactions: bullo

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
If you want to keep your warranty, you need to bring it in every 5,000 KM.

Thats total bull**** and highway robbery.

Here in the UAE.

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to keep your warranty, you need to bring it in every 5,000 KM.

Thats total bull**** and highway robbery.

Here in the UAE.
In Australia any qualified mechanic can service your vehicle instead of Nissan and still maintain your warranty as our consumer protection laws and fair trading will not support a monopoly. cheers :)

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
I just cross checked.
That applies here too. Plus it doesn't have to be a certified workshop.
Any invoice pricing that work the necessary work was done is suffice.

The way they word it at the dealership misleads you into thinking it's mandatory to be done at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing your oil more often as it's very cheap insurance. You could use better oils if you liked.

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I will stay with the 8,000 klm oil changes, especially to keep quality oil spraying onto the timing chain, assuming Nissan haven't addressed this issue with the late 2012 builds. See Nissan infinity forums for info on this issue. cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts