Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lads, I have been fishing numerous times in a few different areas for days on end, and nothing!! :headwall: give me your wisdom so I can catch something.

-Lures vs live bait
-Different types of rods
-Times to go fishing
-Off the bank vs out of a tinny

What ever tips you have, post them up. I'm sure there are a lot of others that have troubles catching those little slimey buggers

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Where do you live?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
Good question Squalo. It makes a big difference.

I'm fishing up in FNQ when not working atm.
Targeting barra and mangrove jack so I've brought 2 bait caster rods and reels with me.
Fishing with lures. Hard body and soft plastics.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Tamborine, South East Queensland. I just got back from a trip out to Inglewood for easter and fished every day with a few different lures chasing cod and yellowbelly. Got nothing haha

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Probably the best advice ever, is to just watch what the locals are doing and see which of them is having success. Time of day, tide, location, rig and bait. There are just so, so many different things that make it work or not.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My dad swore by grenades when he was in the islands during the war!

They aren't in stock anymore.

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
My dad swore by grenades when he was in the islands during the war!

They aren't in stock anymore.
Yep they probably worked well back then, but unfortunately the locals in many islands areas found it was such an easy way of fishing, they have been doing it ever since and buggered their reefs.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Old man used plugs of gelly on schools of ocean mullet when I was a kid up Kalbarri way. Was no one around back then, and those cray fishermen who were were family.

Several times, was an annual holiday for us and the fishies were pretty regular as well.

Everyone thought it was great sport and we had some epic feeds for the 20 odd souls who lived there back then.

Ahh, fond memories of childhood.

Think they frown on that sort of thing these days.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,099 Posts
They have taken all the fun and sport out of fishing now, DB. :lol:

Foo

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
X 2 on local knowledge.

I fished the Coorong for YEARS without getting anything much at all, but over time I've learned the time, location, bait and conditions that I know I'll get each species. Now it's a normal occurrence for me to bring home multiple fish of the species I was targeting.

Ask the locals to your area.....but be warned, they may be cagey about giving away their secrets to a stranger!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,015 Posts
You need to think like a fish.
What, 17 seconds like a goldfish does. Yes I know that's a myth but it sounds good. :)

·
Registered
Nissan
157 Posts
Try fishing when the barometer is high not when a change is coming through. First thing in the morning and late arvo are good times to fish. Generally in the middle of the day fish go quite and lay low in deep water. Make sure your fishing structure. It can be anything from a weedbed, drop off, snag, bridge etc. fish just don't live anywhere in the water. But most of all have some patience. If your using bait don't always reel it in to check it leave it out there. Or if using lures 2 casts at a snag won't always get you a fish you might have to hit the snag 100 times to hook upto a fish. Good luck don't forget it's called fishing for a reason if it were so easy it would just be called catching.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Don't worry, I also seem to have the fine skill of deterring fish. After a fair break though, it was pure bliss just to be able to wet the line, sensing those nibbles, pulling in nothing or seaweed. Makes an actual catch all the more exciting I find :p

·
Registered
33,169 Posts
I find saying something on here is like fishing somtimes... You put out the right bait and you know who or whom ya gunna catch..

Edit: Like 45... He's like a underfed bream.. Haha;)

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
They have taken all the fun and sport out of fishing now, DB. :lol:

Foo
There is another sea mullet Kalbarri related story I remember vividly as a 10 year old.

By that age the law had found out about this off season activity, fisheries were around a lot more and there were a lot more tourist related people about as well. So gelly was gone anyway. However, the sea mullet schools would still get pushed into the inlet and river mouth. At that time the actual river mouth was at the tip of the sand points back from the Chinamans Rock / Oyster Reef coastal line (and the northern one moved with storms / king tides and so forth lol).

Therefore, technically, the inlet area between the two was not the Kalbarri River, where netting was not allowed – this was later changed to the coastal line. But you were allowed to run a net out off a beach back then. So the men, including my dad, swam a net out off the west face of the south sand point towards Chinamans Rock, technically the inlet.

Fill the net?

You have no idea, filled the back of a FJ landcrab tray, with crude wooden 6in hungry boards fitted that they brought down to the beach for, to overflowing and still there was some left in the net. The ones in the net wet let go, and the over flow from the tray to the ground made for a pelican feast with the tourists – well, those who were not grumbling and threatening to send a letter to Harry Butler – and the party after that became legendary.

But I get ahead of myself.

When they brought the net in and were loading the catch into the yota a fisheries bloke turned up … Well, he started to arc up about the definition of the river mouth and a verbal shouting match erupted between my cray boat owing, Kalbarri living uncle, his two deckies, another I knew vaguely through the Bel-Air caravan park, and the fisheries bloke. A real toe to toe full volume screaming match.

Meanwhile my dad, other uncle, his 20’s old sons and my brother and I dealt with the fish in one way or another (me scrambling around picking up the fish off the ground of course. ;) )

Anyway, all packed, stowed, ready to go and my old man tells us kids to scatter, which we do as they drive off in the toyo, and all as the screaming match continued. However, it had seemed to have developed more into a two person argument between the fisheries’ dude and one of my uncles deckies while my uncle, the other deckie and Mr Vague started backing away, moving faster with increasing strides as the distance increased. So eventually it was just the deckie and fisheries, and the deckie up and pops the fisheries dude.

There was also a full time cop in town by then and so the deckie gets arrested. A cop who would have been in with my old man and gelly by the way, they were as thick as thieves. ;) When all the action was over I drifted off to where I saw the yota go, which was a shed up behind the old shop. This all went on early-ish, was all over by 10:00 including the pelican feed. The rest of the day was humdrum stuff, you know, kicking a footie, swimming, fishing and such, till the drunken open fire pig out for the whole town that night, and a whole other UFO story that happened very late that night in the middle of nowhere.

However, there was one interesting bit of discussion that I listened to, and that revolved around the revelation that the fisheries man was the father of my uncles deckie, the very same deckie that was last seen being led off in handcuffs! Said deckie later turned up at the party after a trip to Geraldton to see the magistrate, get bailed by his own dear old mum and back to Kalbarri during the afternoon. Quite a feat back when it was a nasty pot holed or mountainous corrugation filled nightmare that could take a family car 3 hours to cross.

And one last observation I remember vividly. The first I knew something was going on was when a few people started running towards the river mouth. I was being a 10 year old and running around somewhere with a footie playing kick with anyone who would, if there was no game at all. And as it was early in the day that was highly unlikely.

So I got to the high ground on the main drag, where there is now a boat ramp going down to the east base of the south sand point, and the water was of such visibility that I could see the whole school of fish. A thick broiling mass that filled the entire inlet and bulged into the river itself. The net accounted for less than 10% of it, they were that thick in numbers and big and thick in size.

You would see many smaller schools travelling north back then from the cliffs of Kalbarri, big, fat, sleek, and would not take a hook, bastards. But at times we had caught them at red bluff, oyster reef etc by jagging them if they came in close enough and the sea was calm, the schools were that thick …

I remember my dad and others saying the reason the schools get so big is they are actually several schools of ocean going mullet (sea mullet need to transition into fresh water) that are being rounded up by orcas and get squeezed into fresh water river mouths for safety ... ha haha hahahahahahaha :evil: :evil:

Fun times.

Disclaimer; Kalbarri and the environs is a deadly place for beach fishermen if the seas are up, for those folks who don’t know. Take notice of the numerous big signs that clearly state KING WAVES KILL. Use extreme caution, I have seen these 15-30ft freak waves appear out of nowhere with the only notice being the mass of a slightly higher water level moving towards you. People who don’t know what to look for will not know it till it hits resistance on the suddenly shallow coast line and turns into a mountain of water leaping out at you. You can expect King Waves wherever open Western Australian coast line meets deep water south of say Carnarvon all the way down and around to Eucla.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
I went out and taught my 18yo assistant yesterday how to fish for mangrove jacks using a bait caster and lures. I even let him use my favourite lure. (Classic barra) The bastard caught 2 jacks within 15min and is now hooked on fishing. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts