Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and girls just looking for some expert info in to the GU 4.5 petrol models am in the market for agood example and want to know what to look for and also what it costs for a good lpg conversion for these models
, thanks guys (and girls)
Stuart:)

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
tb45

Welcome to Ptl4x4
there is heaps of good reading on here re the TB45
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...-life-expectancies-46230/?highlight=longevity

I was a bit sceptical after my slightly problematic TB42 but 2 years into owning my very well maintained GU45 I can say its damm reliable.

Common failures;
starter motors (ebay ones are cheap and seem to be holding up)
alternators(mine is noisy but hasnt failed like most)
clutch( like any other but is a BIG job, at 200k factor one in at $1600+rear mainseal)
steering box, check for play, they are pricey to reco
rear axle seals, ***** to change but prone to leak
engine cooling fan can crack at blade base (ebay)
Some unlucky owners have spun bearings from oil pickup sludging up in the deep sump from poor maintenace but same as any engine.

I fitted flashlube to my car so prolong the life of the valves as they do close up over 20k as can be expected but 4.5 heads are holding up better than the 4.2's

I fitted redline oil to the manual gearbox made a hude difference but maybe coz I live in the freezing cold. Other than that I cant really fault it.
Auto will cost around 4k to reco, and at around 300,000kms be wary of the condition of the auto.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts