Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm putting in a HF radio with an auto tune antenna which will be mounted to the large barn door. I'm after ideas on where to run the control cable and coaxial. I was thinking about removing the door hinge cover and putting them down the side of the barn door. If you have pics, that would help. Thanks.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,459 Posts
Hi Mick

My car is a GQ and auto tune is on a bracket on swing out wheel holder so pics not particularly relevant sorry. The braided earth strap... It is CRITICAL that is VERY well earthed. A bolt holding the barn door hinge into the body work is a good spot.

As for the coax and control cables, can you run them inside the door frame near the lower hinge, then down the door frame, under the bumper and into the car through the grommet where the tail light wiring comes through perhaps?

Is yours Codan or Barrett? If codan 9350 is it an A, B or C series?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I put HF on front and bend antenna over to roof rack.

What watts are going to be using. I pushing 100 on HF and can easily talk around the world at 10pm to 7 am. I also get Oz but it comes and goes depending on xyz. I like HF but you need good radio with filters. Barrett seem to be best as there new HF auto tune antenna also supports vhf and uhf. Let's us know what band your on I try and give you call if the propergation is good.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been given a Coden 9313. It's my first HF so just happy to have one. It came with A Codan 8558 auto tune. I know they were a little dodgy but it works for now. I'm waiting on an overhead console then I can install it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
Hi guys, I'm putting in a HF radio with an auto tune antenna which will be mounted to the large barn door. I'm after ideas on where to run the control cable and coaxial. I was thinking about removing the door hinge cover and putting them down the side of the barn door. If you have pics, that would help. Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you... looking at putting a autotune antenna.

These two threads below have some good ideas on antenna mounting location.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-modifications-accessories-40/installing-codan-radio-44373/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/hf-auto-tune-hf-rear-wheel-bracket-15899/

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
I run a yaesu ft-897 with a FAMPARC antenna and though I have to re-wind the tag lead to change the band, its a good performer
where abouts have u mounted that 897 in the patrol ?

·
The Act of Faith
nissan patrol
2,650 Posts
where abouts have u mounted that 897 in the patrol ?
I used the 897 when i was parked up, it was a little bit too bulky to mount in my old patrol along with another 4 radios (UHF CB, 27mhz CB, VHF Marine, Dual bander 2/70cm).

Looking back I really should've bought the 857 or equivalent mobile HF rig,

The 897 will be the all-mode/ 2&70/ backup HF rig for the home shack now, as i'm eyeing off a Kenwood TS-480SAT for mobile use

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
I used the 897 when i was parked up, it was a little bit too bulky to mount in my old patrol along with another 4 radios (UHF CB, 27mhz CB, VHF Marine, Dual bander 2/70cm).

Looking back I really should've bought the 857 or equivalent mobile HF rig,

The 897 will be the all-mode/ 2&70/ backup HF rig for the home shack now, as i'm eyeing off a Kenwood TS-480SAT for mobile use
you got some serious kit there. You must be doing some serious outback travel

I am looking at the 857 for the Patrol.

Is something like this what u are after Kenwood TS-480HX

·
Registered
nissan
1,078 Posts
A bunch of 13 ft dipoles with around 20 ft bare copper ground plane wires around them. Otherwise, every man and his dog makes do with a raised feed near the large side barn door. I reckon most of the stuff you can buy off the shelf is ok, if you get a serious radio fetish you will eventually work something out, but listening to radio pyongyang or any other basic amateur hf comms is not that hard, and fkn interesting. A couple of lengths of wire in a v shape if you are starionary can work well, just not easy to lay out ;)

·
Registered
9,513 Posts

That is what I have done Mick.
I threaded the cables through the door wire rubber tube from inside behind the tail light, then through the rubber tube about half way along where the tube holding the other door wires is aiming down so no water can leak back in, I made a small cut in the rubber and pulled the HF cables out the side of th erubber tube. It took a lot of wriggling and encouragement to thread the bigger cable plug for my controll cable through. Then the cables do a slight bend and up behind the door hinge to come out under that plastic hinge cover. I cut out a bit from the cover so it would clip back over the cables and I silicone sealed it back.

I have had the HF autotune mounted on a Kaymar bracket that went in the middle of the spart tyre on the back door. The wires threaded through behind the wheel and out the centre hole.

But now I have fitted a Kaymar wheel carrier so need to re-think where the aerial will mount. On the door or on the Kaymar wheel carrier which requires more cable for the earth lead.

The big wide flat earth I attached to a door hinge bolt and scrape some paint back to bare metal then use conductive grease on the thread and earth cable ends.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got it all fitted up and failed to check one thing. My Foxwing awning. No matter where I mount the autotune at the back of the truck, it makes it extremely difficult to open up the awning. At best, I would have to remove the whip every time I opened the awning. That's not ideal. So I am back to square one. Only option is on the front? I'm out of ideas.

Mick

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,459 Posts
Can the hf aerial be mounted to a pivoting bracket that can lie sideways when the awning is to be set up? Or mount main body of aerial lower so it is easy to remove whip section when awning is used?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts