Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd already started a thread on installing a HF... can't find i though...

Anyway, after some blood, sweat and one or two tears (soldering iron and inner thighs do not mix!) I have installed my radio and new roof console. Head unit up front, control wire along the roof lining to the cargo barrier, transceiver on the barrier with power and antenna wires running down different sides of the car to the front.

I've just had a thought though - what does "earthing the antenna" actually mean? From where do you take the earth on the antenna?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've just had a thought though - what does "earthing the antenna" actually mean? From where do you take the earth on the antenna?
What kind of antenna?

The Antenna earthing is the most important, make sure you run it from the chassis or somewhere REALLY good. The autotune have its own earth strap, just get that connected too a really good earth.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of antenna?

The Antenna earthing is the most important, make sure you run it from the chassis or somewhere REALLY good. The autotune have its own earth strap, just get that connected too a really good earth.
It's a multitap antenna. Do I just run an earth from the spring base? Or should I take it from somewhere else on the antenna assembly? It's all on the bullbar, would the negative terminal of the battery provide a better earth than the chassis?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Im not sure where the mounting point for a multitap antenna is as I only use codan auto tune antenns on my fleet vehicles.

For your earth I would use the chassis mounting point for the battery earth. The problem with going to the battery is that the cable can be damaged by corrosin. The typical earth cables are the open braid and theu suck water up like a sponge.

We mount coden auto tune antemnas behind the spare wheel carriers and earth to the door hinge bolts on the body side.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's a multitap antenna. Do I just run an earth from the spring base? Or should I take it from somewhere else on the antenna assembly? It's all on the bullbar, would the negative terminal of the battery provide a better earth than the chassis?
I thought there was a Earth on them somewhere, if not ask the shop where to put it from on the antenna.

Terminal would be good, use good wire & dont scrimp on its sizing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Run earth from the spring base mounting bolt to earth on chassis, using battery cable or similar.

And yes, David is a very helpful guy, any problems just give him a call. I get him to check my set out every year and his service is great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem, I was going to email when it is finally installed. Just got earth strapping and antenna mounting to do...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts