Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner HAM keen to buy a dual band/quad band radio for the truck for remote areas and long distance, emergency, also during outages of other communications in possible SHTF scenarios. Given also the recent National fire emergency, having the ability to listen to fireground/dispatch radio etc. Know whats really happening not the BS the media dribbles out with delay and all the whit holding of info that could save lives in real time etc.

So I really want a quad band with scanning function, been looking at the TYT 9800 $329 on eBay, which I'm aware does not have the 220mhz band but has 2m,6m,10, and 440mhz UHF. I would prefer to wide berth China on this one though and pay more, so if anyone can suggest. Obviously Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood is the way to go, any suggestions and prices, places to buy etc ?.

Particularly not interested in GPS and Bluetooth functions in fact prefer without

I already have a decent UHF so if there something good that does 2m,6m,10, 220mhz or what have you ?

Interested in any advice, links and interested in a one antenna solution if possible

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
244 Posts
Hi @NissTorq, which amateur radio licence class have you got?

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings @Monkey63 I understand about licensing with WIA. I'm currently studying for the foundational license. A few friends are licensed.

Had let this fall away from some years back when I was in the process then lost interest so I have an interest as a beginner. AFAIK it's legal to own a radio for RX until licensed, correct?

How about yourself ? Can you share any knowledge please ?

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
244 Posts
Many years ago I held a Novice licence, which guess over the years has morphed into a Foundational licence.
This was back when learning Morse Code to 5wpm was part of the requirements - doesnt look like it is any more.
I too have an interest in picking it back up again, thats why your post tweaked my interest.
Yep, receiving no issue, all legal.
Sorry though I am not really up to date on equipment, so cant really advise.
Its likely steering a wide berth on Chinese equipment will cost you a lot more money! But thats normal in every sort of equipment.
That TYT9800 looks pretty amazing for the price, you will need to dial it down to 10W for your Foundational licence limits.
You are probably best to register if you havent already and put a query on the Aust Ham Forum Nets
I am sure they will have lots of members, who operate mobile, who would offer advice.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
From memory it was the morse code requirement factor which lost my interest as I'm crap at 2nd languages and morese code needs to be reconstructed letter by letter and I don't think my brain likes that sore of thing LOL. This hobby takes me back to when I was a young lad with a 27 mhz Side band base station at home, making contacts. Before computers, mobile phones etc.

The TYT- TH9800 is looking excellent value, except it's a bin job if it needs a repair I'm told, having said that an Ex Army Comms guy recommended it to me as a good cheap mobile unit.

I spoke to sales at Andrews Communications and enquired about what quality tri/quad band radios they sell that would be entry level, they said all the radios available in the 3 Japanese name brands are dual bands and limited in their freq ranges, and said there is a big gap in the market for this sort of thing at the entry level. He told me the All Band YAESU FT-991A is the only thing that covers all bands but is $2199. !!!
I think I'm going to get a TYT 9800 as it does the job and the price is cheap to get me started.

I learned from the coms guy that Fireground/coms operate on Digital and he recommended a Motorolla XTS 5000, UHF/R1 as a "one handheld" 380-470mhz with scanning feature. Now were heading back into the fire season I hope to be more prepared, in 2019 I came close to losing my home and was basically in the midst of the biggest bushfire I've ever seen alone with my dogs, I made 3 tripple 0 calls and they said they could not do anything, 48hrs later a striker drove out to see me when the front was long gone and just mopping up spotties, they left me to sort it and raced off to other calls.

I think like hose reels, pumps, protective clothing, emergency radios are just as important, and with everything we are seeing in the world etc. I trust serious remote overlanders know too well how a ham radio and knowing how to use one can save lives. Licencing and the requirement makes every bit of sense as there's no use owning one if you don't know how to use it properly, so I'm hoping to get up on the technical side of it and will visit the Aust Ham's Forum as you suggest. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That TYT9800 looks pretty amazing for the price, you will need to dial it down to 10W for your Foundational licence limits.
According to the WIA website The Wireless Institute of Australia who release the Foundation Manual, changes were made in September 2019 and licensed foundation users can tx broadcast 1W per 100KHZ depending on the bandwidth, so 1 watt per 1mhz, so for the 20mhz band Foundation Lic. Holders can tx 20w as far as I can see.
Megahertz (MHz) to kilohertz (kHz) conversion calculator

The following coppied from the above WIA link

Radio Bands You Can Use
The Foundation Licence can operate in the bands listed below using the modes listed in the right hand column. Use of both commercially manufactured or home brew transmitting equipment is permitted.

Radio bandFrequencyPermitted Emission Modes
80 Metres3.500 MHz - 3.700 MHzAny emission mode.
Where the necessary bandwidth exceeds 8 kHz, the maximum power spectral density from the transmitter must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz.
40 Metres7.000 MHz - 7.300 MHzAny emission mode with a necessary bandwidth no greater than 8 kHz.
15 Metres21.000 MHz - 21.450 MHzAny emission mode.
Where the necessary bandwidth exceeds 8 kHz, the maximum power spectral density from the transmitter must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz.
10 Metres28.000 MHz - 29.700 MHzWhere the necessary bandwidth exceeds 16 kHz, the maximum power spectral density from the transmitter must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz.
2 Metres144 MHz - 148 MHzAny emission mode.
70 Centimetres430 MHz - 450 MHz

Distances You Can Work

Radio bandDistance & Coverage
3.5MHz (80 metres)Typically up to 150KM during the day and up to 3000KM at night.
7MHz (40 metres)Typically up to 1000KM during the day and during good conditions world wide at night.
21 MHz (15 metres)World wide mostly during the day.
28 MHz (10 metres)World wide during periods of high sunspot activity and up to 3000km in summer.
144MHz (2 metres)Local coverage and world wide via "IRLP" and EchoLink.
432MHz (70cm)Local coverage, over 2000 km using something known as tropospheric ducting and world wide via "IRLP" and EchoLink.

Use and wattage of TX of a HAM radio band is not limited in an emergency unlicensed, as long as the situation meets the definition of emergency according to Dept. Communications, being imminent risk to life and property etc etc.

I bought the TYT TH9800 Quad band off QSLcoms on eBay (for $329 delivered) based in QLD, it arrived in 24hrs WOW, now I awaiting the Diamond CR8900 Quad Band Mobile Antenna and the Diamond RG5MR coax assembly to suit both end connections, that's coming from Strictly Ham in Vic, so that will probably take up to a month LOL, no joke I had a delivery from vic take many weeks during their last lockdown ! 3rd world countries probably run rings round that !

I spent an hour looking it over and assembling and reading manual, looks awesome. Apparently it was cloned off a Yaesu. For the money lookd and feels great so far, but not installed yet.

I've owned a Baofeng U5VRA for years but only ever used UHF on it, they are a cheap $50 Chinese tri band available on eBay, good little survival emergency radio

I was guessing there would be more HAM's on here. The benefit and uses of CB and ham's are obvious, particularly for rural property owners who want to make other like contacts around their local repeater, then share local specific news and info as a support network for emergencies, friendship, or to test and know the performance of their radio equipment as enthusiasts. Think when the net goes down and SHTF too, many peoples landlines are via VOIP now too, so in SHTF you can communicate. Also local comms to your loved ones on their way home is free if you have a base and units in car etc

As it is currently I can call SES via the repeater on UHF, they monitor it and respond, this is some of the local knowledge I've learned this week.

I'll report on the TYT when installed, I note it will be easy to un plug it and bring indoors to run as a base with a separate antenna and regulated power supply. I do plan to get a base station though next, and an old 27mhz side band unit

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I'm able to access repeater is my UHF is set up in Duplex mode when I got it, I'm still trying to get head round all that but it uses dual frequencies to TX/RX, it's a Kenwood commercial radio not a run of the mill UHF which are usually very basic in function and power output.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi @NissTorq , great to hear your news and progress. I dont think the power spectral density limits in the 10, 15 and 80m bands is the way to work out the transmitter output power limits. I'm pretty sure the Foundational license is a 10 watt transmitter power, regardless of emission mode.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi @NissTorq , great to hear your news and progress. I don't think the power spectral density limits in the 10, 15 and 80m bands is the way to work out the transmitter output power limits. I'm pretty sure the Foundational license is a 10 watt transmitter power, regardless of emission mode.
OK. Whatever changes they made exactly are apparently outlined in the Foundation Lic. Manual Third Edition and I don't have one yet, when I work all that out with regards to permitted emissions then I will understand it better, reading the WIA pages on the foundation licence though and that chart I posted, that it was? In any case I more or less have line of sight to repeater about 25 kms away and 5-10W would be plenty, then after the repeater it's broadcast at a higher wattage anyway right?

Now I want to understand why that is not what it seems re permitted transmission power, what am I missing exactly?

When mobile and not near a repeater would be the only time I can think you would take advantage of higher wattage.

The s/h mobile UHF I bought has 25 W on the 80 CB Channels, it's too much power so I'm going to work out how to turn down, turn it up when needed. Do you know what's the max allowed for CB UHF ?

·
Registered
2013 GU Patrol Single Cab
41 Posts
I've been a Foundation call since the foundation licence came out.

Most Emergency Services, Vic, NSW, ACT, Qld, SA use Digital Radio Networks these days, so outside the scope of majority of Amateur Radios ability to monitor the Emergency Services these days, thus why I have a digital scanner.

UHF CB have a permitted TX Power of 5watts, many Mobile Amateur and Commercial Radio's only go down to 10watts TX Power, ACMA Don't like seeing UHF CB Channels on Amateur and Commercial Radio's as the TX Power is usually higher then the permitted 5watts TX Power.

The Foundation Licence has always been 10watt TX Peak Power on all Bands, just with HF Bands you do need to be a wear that 10watts may interfere with other users on LSB or USB modes . . . I believe that's where if operating on 7.150MHz in Side Band (LSB/USM) you "must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz", meaning your TX on 7.150MHz should not interfere with others operating on 7.050MHz below or 7.250Mz either side of the 7.150MHz frequency your operating on. This "must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz" wasn't covered in the original Foundation Licence Training Course or Book when it first started, so happy to be corrected by any other License HAMS.

Radio wise, I have the following Radio's in my Patrol:
Icom IC-706MK2G HF/VHF/UHF
Icom IC-208H VHF/UHF
Retevis RT73 VHF/UHF DMR Radio
Oricom UHF CB.
Uniden Digital Scanner

Even though all my Amateur Radio's cover VHF/UHF, each come into their own, the IC-208H is my main analogue dual band radio due to it's 500 memory channels, I have all NSW and Vic VHF/UHF Repeaters and Air Band stored in my 208H.

My Retevis RT73 DMR Dual Band is 4000 memory channels, has NSW & Vic Analogue & DMR Channels saved in Zones, but is my Primary DMR Radio and only used as a Analogue back-up.

My IC-706 only has 100 memory channels, so is mainly used on HF Bands. I do monitor RFD, 4wd HF Clubs, Weather, Military, Air and ABC HF Channels on My 706. The 706 dose give me the ability to TX on some RFD & 4wd HF Club Channels that fall within the Amateur Band Limits of the 706, but this is very limited. In most cases I would need to use a SelCall Generator App to trigger the SelCall Gate on the receiving HF Base Radio (VKS737 or RFD Base) I'm trying to contact's . . . so again, very limited limited in ability during Remote Travel Emergency Call Use . . . thus why I carry a Personal Distress Beacon, or activate my Sat Phone if remote traveling.

As a side note, the YTY 9800 you are looking at, if locked to the Amateur 10m Band RX Only, will only cover between 26.000 MHz to 33.000 MHz . . . this is still well short of any HF Channels VKS737, RFDS or any other 4WD HF Clubs use in the HF Bands.

Save your $300 and look higher up in the $$$$ Range, and look at 2nd Hand HF Rig such as the Icom IC-706 or Yaesu FT-818 which you can pick-up for around $600, or the Yasue FT-857 which you can pick up for around $1000.

New HF/VHF/UHF Models range from $1000 for the Yaesu FT-818ND Mini Rig, or up to $1700 for the Icom IC-7100.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been a Foundation call since the foundation licence came out.
Hey thanks very much for posting your Foundation knowledge and set up's, looks like you have it all covered.

You've cleared up the overall power transmission level is 10W regardless for foundation, which I was confused about due to the technical nature of understanding the guidelines

I'm going to reread your post and maybe get back to you with a few specific questions. I did get an explanation that somewhat clarified the spectral bandwidth each side of the frequency your using, but you've added clarity on that and given the mode as a reason, eg SSB.

Some of these newer handhelds have RX in digital for scanning emergency service bands etc, such as the Motorola I mentioned a HAM recommended, and TX on a HAM band function, like what you mention with your scanner.

First thing I must do is download the manual for my Kenwood 80 ch CB and check what the power level is set to, will dial it down if not already.

Going to install the TYT tomorrow

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, I have heaps to learn. There's not much spare space left on your dash there :) LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of these newer handhelds have RX in digital for scanning emergency service bands etc, such as the Motorola I mentioned a HAM recommended, and TX on a HAM band function, like what you mention with your scanner.
I see your from NSW, so that make this easier.

Most of the NSW Emergency Services are now using P25 Radio Networks, if they are in the NSW Government Radio Network footprint (GRN) then they will in most cases be on the GRN which is based on the Motorola P25 Trunk Radio System, there are no Handheld Radio's that can Legally Monitor this system, I can vouch for that as a 33 year Career Firefighter.

If you want to listen to NSW Ambulance, FRNSW, RFS or SES . . . save your Money and buy a Digital Scanner, only Legal way you can Monitor the GRN. The RFS and National Parks are the only services with Analogue VHF Fire Ground Channels atm.

Forget about Police . . . their encrypted, listening is not legally possible unless you lean up againts a police vehicle, or in a Army Signals Unit with the right radio gear in the unit.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see your from NSW, so that make this easier.

Most of the NSW Emergency Services are now using P25 Radio Networks, if they are in the NSW Government Radio Network footprint (GRN) then they will in most cases be on the GRN which is based on the Motorola P25 Trunk Radio System, there are no Handheld Radio's that can Legally Monitor this system, I can vouch for that as a 33 year Career Firefighter.

If you want to listen to NSW Ambulance, FRNSW, RFS or SES . . . save your Money and buy a Digital Scanner, only Legal way you can Monitor the GRN. The RFS and National Parks are the only services with Analogue VHF Fire Ground Channels atm.

Forget about Police . . . their encrypted, listening is not legally possible unless you lean up againts a police vehicle, or in a Army Signals Unit with the right radio gear in the unit.
I'm only interested in the public emergency channels, mainly fire as I'm in a high risk area. I used to be a RFS firey and got a bit of coms experience in the field.

I believe Ametuer radio will grow again given the condition of the world and the unreliability of systems that have been deliberately made vulnerable to foreign attack by hackers.

To give example I'm on satelite internet which is my VOIP land line too, I can't use a mobile here so I'm screwed if the satellite net goes down and there is an emergency, and we saw a life changing fire here in 2019 as we all are aware, will never forget that.

When you call 000 and fire coms dispatch say "sorry your on your own, due to limited resources" then you need to be able to network with other locals and know where the resources are going.

At least we had the net then to monitor the RFS fires near me map, and even other satellites that can show way more ino about a moving fire front that the RFS updates. But when net is down you need to ask a friend to relay that news. I'm sure you can think of more uses and applications depending on ones unique situation as everyones vary.

Besides that the re is the hobby of HAM that is appealing, as it serves many purposes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don`t muck about get an ft 857 or icom 706 . i run an 897 d in the ute but its a big thing and takes up a lot of space . i use 20m ,40m and stationary then 10m/11 and 2m on the move . it also does the chook band which is handy when the skips good . i just have 2 antenna mounts and change them as i need to . 2m stays put and i use 10/11m whip then monoband dipoles for stationary use on 20 and 40m . yes i know its not legal on 11m but i wont tell anyone if you dont . there are thousands of well respected hams on the there when conditions are good .

·
Registered
21 Posts
on the passenger side of the console . Rarley have people in it but its a pita . To make matters worse its got the tuner on the side which im going to remove as i only use it on 80m where band width can be an issue even with a full size dipole .

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don`t muck about get an ft 857 or icom 706 . i run an 897 d in the ute but its a big thing and takes up a lot of space . i use 20m ,40m and stationary then 10m/11 and 2m on the move . it also does the chook band which is handy when the skips good . i just have 2 antenna mounts and change them as i need to . 2m stays put and i use 10/11m whip then monoband dipoles for stationary use on 20 and 40m . yes i know its not legal on 11m but i wont tell anyone if you dont . there are thousands of well respected hams on the there when conditions are good .
The FT857 apparently has been discontinued by Yaesu, it would probably make a great base station. I can't find a price yet but havent looked too hard.

Why do they discontinue the best and popular radios, maybe they have superceeded it ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The FT857 apparently has been discontinued by Yaesu, it would probably make a great base station. I can't find a price yet but havent looked too hard.

Why do they discontinue the best and popular radios, maybe they have superceeded it ?
Like everything . . . for the sake of up-grading, or meeting current and future needs and wants.

The Yaesu FT857D, which started off as the FT857 had been out for about 15 years and was discontinued by Yaesu about 12 to 18 months ago.

I think the Yaesu FT-891 may have been sighted as it's replacement. But the FT-891 is only a HF Rig, no 2m/70cm bands, so one would need to purchase a 2m/70cm Dual Bander if you wanted that capability.
Welcome to Yaesu.com

The IC-706 also suffered the same fate as the FT-857D, the 706 heritage started from the IC-703, like the FT891 was only a HF Rig stopping at 6m Band from memory. The IC-706, near identical in appearance to the 703 superseded the the IC-703 and included 2m & 70cm bands, the IC-706 then was superseded by the IC-7000 which was also near identical to the 706, but sported a colour screen . . . it was a nice looking Rig with HF, VHF/UHF Bands, but it only lasted for about 3 to 4 years before it was replaced with the IC-7100 HF/VHF/UHF, which included a new remote operating control head/panel and Icom's D-Star digital platform.

I don't like the IC-7100 due to it's Operating Head, I can't see the head fitting nicely into the Dash area of a car, if a IC-7000 came up right now around the $1000 mark, I'd probably jump on it, as it will just slot into my car nicely and hook straight up to my Antenna Tuner . . .

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've mounted the TYT TH8900, I wanted to have it using the remote head but there was nowhere easy to do that unless I sat it on top of the dash , didn't want to do that. This seemed to work great though. For now waiting on fuse box and antenna before I finalise the install. Pictured with gear stick in 3rd, plenty of room to change gears and no hand bumping radio same with 4X4 stick, but cant use ash tray no worries don't smoke, 12v socket is still accessable and all heater/fan etc, so quite happy with that thought it would not be so easy. Keen to get it all finished and tidy. Need a mic hook for the s/h UHF on the right, found them on the auto barn site so will grab one in store soon. Not too impressed with the TYT hook but does the trick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts