Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the HID Kits for my Lightforce 170's on eBay and noticed that they do a HID upgrade for the head lights as well. Has anyone done this and how well do they work?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
They work well but I would strongly discourage anyone from fitting HID into their OEM headlights. Even a 35 hid "low beam" is FARKIN bright. Just stick to upgrading your spotties. I mean hell, how much light do you want???

I recommend PM Jet-6 about any questions you have. He will put you on the straight and narrow for sure :)

Edit: Although on a personal note Matt (jet-6) did tell me that my 100W HID retrofits for the hella 4000's were gunna be insanely bright and I should probably stick with 70W. A tad bit of an understatement. In hindsight I would have gone for the 70 W retros instead of the 100W ... they are just ... too ... bright. Kinda distracts you after a while of night driving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
... HID in dust or fog = cr*p .. normal headlights in foggy conditions aint too good but with HID you'll get no penetration at all.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I did the HID upgrade and love it. Just need to make sure you adjust them down as they are bright. Only problem is that it is hard to adjust for both high beam and low.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"True" fog lights have a yellow lens cover and this ensures penetration and minimal reflection from the fog. Otherwise they are just driving lights.

And if you are operating driving lights (according to a Police source in WA), your headlights are to be switched to parking lights and NOT low beam.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
And if you are operating driving lights (according to a Police source in WA), your headlights are to be switched to parking lights and NOT low beam.
Dont you mean fog lights??? Driving lights (which are spottys) will not turn on when the headlights are on low beam or parkers if they're wired correctly.
But fog lights are usually factory wired to come on with parkers so you can turn off the headlights that they dont refract back off the fog.
Even yellow fog lights aren't that flash if they are'nt mounted low enough but if they are they work well.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
5,282 Posts
... HID in dust or fog = cr*p .. normal headlights in foggy conditions aint too good but with HID you'll get no penetration at all.

Thats crap, even fog lights are not much chop, if you were to buy some 3000k sodium HID's you would be much better off, same lamps as used in street lights

Or do as i do, melt the fog with stupidly insane amounts of light, lol

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
5,282 Posts
They work well but I would strongly discourage anyone from fitting HID into their OEM headlights. Even a 35 hid "low beam" is FARKIN bright. Just stick to upgrading your spotties. I mean hell, how much light do you want???

I recommend PM Jet-6 about any questions you have. He will put you on the straight and narrow for sure :)

Edit: Although on a personal note Matt (jet-6) did tell me that my 100W HID retrofits for the hella 4000's were gunna be insanely bright and I should probably stick with 70W. A tad bit of an understatement. In hindsight I would have gone for the 70 W retros instead of the 100W ... they are just ... too ... bright. Kinda distracts you after a while of night driving.

Hahahahaha, told you, told you, lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I think I will wait until I get the kits from eBay and then see how they go. Then decide if I want to do the driving lights.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have tried almost every combination of HID... Spotties (spread, pencil and adjustable), Fogs, Main Beams Hi and Lo and every combo of the above 'cept for Main Beam Hybrids.

IMHO HID's in the GU Main beams using the Factory Reflector isn't a good result. Due to the reflector design it is impossible to get an adjustment that works in Hi AND Lo AND doesn't dazzle oncoming vehicles.

I am now running 35 Watt HID H3's in 4 Inch Fog Lights in the Bar and 55 Watt HID's (Lightforce Mod) in 220 Roolite Driving Lights with +50 Headlight Globes in Factory Headlights... Happy as a Pig in Kaka with that setup.

Doesn't upset oncoming vehicles, doesn't upset the Feds and lights up the side of the tracks and the path ahead like daylight when the HID's are on

·
Registered
136 Posts
Doesn't upset oncoming vehicles, doesn't upset the Feds and lights up the side of the tracks and the path ahead like daylight when the HID's are on
Too right, which is why retrofitting HID's to standard headlights is illegal.
I drive a 20 year old car with none too bright lights so I checked this out fully.

The Australian Design Rules require full testing of these systems; this includes the light source being tested with the reflector as a unit.

Fitting of a light source (HID globe) into a lens that has been fitted and tested with a halogen globe cannot be approved unless it can be demonstrated the headlamp unit has been tested and complies with all of the relevant Australian Design Rules for Gas discharge light sources.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Australian Design Rules require full testing of these systems; this includes the light source being tested with the reflector as a unit.

Fitting of a light source (HID globe) into a lens that has been fitted and tested with a halogen globe cannot be approved unless it can be demonstrated the headlamp unit has been tested and complies with all of the relevant Australian Design Rules for Gas discharge light sources.
which includes lens washers and auto leveling

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your headlights aren't bright enough with their standard output then I would go HIDs, being able to see clearly is more important to me than other peoples feelings.

As mentioned though, because your 4wd is a lot higher than most other vehicles you will be pointing it at their eyes no matter what so ive avoided doing since I can just turn on my flood lights when I need them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So many vehicles retro fitting these lately.
I'm amazed plod isn't in on the act, instant revenue raiser.
Driving with foglights on in the daytime is worth a fine and these things are 1000 times worse.
Set up so low beam is good, but high beam burns the eyes out of the oncoming traffic.
OR
Set high beam correctly and low beam is illuminating the road at the bumper.
Probably best to fit the highest output halogens in your stock holders and use HID's for your spotties.
Bit of a shock when you go back to low beam though.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Might seem odd but I have been pondering having just low beam HID and adjusted to minamise distraction of other drivers. Might save the hassle of optimizing high and low beam. Not to mention cheaper. I really don't need extra high beam as I have 70 watts of HID in spread beam driving lights.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Thats what Ive done... if I need more than low beam flick the headslights to high and then turn on my twin 55w 'foglights'. If need more than the 55w HID XGTs come on, and then if that aint enough 4 100w Hella Comets blaze into action :)

And peoples eyes burn

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Well there you go! I knew you upgraded headlights to HID but had "assumed" it was high/low.

Really got me thinking now. My issue is the transition from two 70 watt HID spreads to halogen lights, it's too big a transition, looks like I have parkers on.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thats what Ive done... if I need more than low beam flick the headslights to high and then turn on my twin 55w 'foglights'. If need more than the 55w HID XGTs come on, and then if that aint enough 4 100w Hella Comets blaze into action :)

And peoples eyes burn

Are you scared of the dark benno?!??!?!

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Ben adopts the motto of: "Nothing exceeds like excess!!!!!"

Checked out his dash/****pit lately?

Mind you he does have limits I found a set up that would measure how many revs your actual turbo was doing. He liked it but wasn't %100 sold.

Cheers

Justin

1 - 20 of 44 Posts