Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
My view is HIDs as used for regular headlights around town can be very annoying/blinding, i got a headache from some clown behind me in a Hummer with HID headlights, (even after i adjusted all my mirrors), made me want to get behind him and drive with my spotties on (i didn't)

Enough people "already" hate modded 4wds on our roads without them having blinding headlights as well. :confused:

Just think, the average joe getting his retina's burnt out when stopped at the traffic lights, he will think the headlights lights are so bright because its a "lifted 4wd" (not because of HIDs) i belive it will just add more fuel to the fire of 4wd haters !

If you cant see far enough with what nissan has fitted factory when driving around the city (which i dont belive anyones eyes are that bad,and can still drive ?) sure, put your high beams on, or get bright spotties ........at least you have the option to turn them OFF in the city near other road users.:cool:

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
My view is HIDs as used for regular headlights around town can be very annoying/blinding, i got a headache from some clown behind me in a Hummer with HID headlights, (even after i adjusted all my mirrors), made me want to get behind him and drive with my spotties on (i didn't)

Enough people "already" hate modded 4wds on our roads without them having blinding headlights as well. :confused:

Just think, the average joe getting his retina's burnt out when stopped at the traffic lights, he will think the headlights lights are so bright because its a "lifted 4wd" (not because of HIDs) i belive it will just add more fuel to the fire of 4wd haters !

If you cant see far enough with what nissan has fitted factory when driving around the city (which i dont belive anyones eyes are that bad,and can still drive ?) sure, put your high beams on, or get bright spotties ........at least you have the option to turn them OFF in the city near other road users.:cool:
Well put,

but I know the main reasons for HiD's nowadays is because they look good, it takes out the 1900's old fashion away to this new car fashion... if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Very happy with my HIDs both in the headlights and spotties (240xgt) , ( jet -6 upgrades ).... I have compromised and set mine up more so for the low beam .... Spotties come on with the high beam anyway. As long as you adjust the levels you should have no problem with other road users.
Although I have found that many people tend to stare at HID lights like rabbits.... Even in my other car which has factory HIDs ..... Just because a light is bright does not mean it is shining in your eyes !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got my lights back from Lightforce they amazingly replaced them for me even though they were 5yrs old the reflectors had gone black, and also got the HID kits from eBay on the same day (yesterday) and installed them today. They seemed to be extremely bright but I am yet to take them out bush. I am also wondering I used the 500mm extensions but does that make them less bright because of any volt drop in the cables?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
... I am also wondering I used the 500mm extensions but does that make them less bright because of any volt drop in the cables?
You won't see any difference... enjoy.

I put the Lighty HID conversion in my Roo Lites. Luv 'em to bits now but you do have to fiddle a bit to get a decent pattern.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Ben adopts the motto of: "Nothing exceeds like excess!!!!!"

Checked out his dash/****pit lately?

Mind you he does have limits I found a set up that would measure how many revs your actual turbo was doing. He liked it but wasn't %100 sold.

Cheers

Justin
I would have liked that gauge but the price and that I had to go drilling into the turbo housing and mark a blade were not really appealing.

Got plenty of others to look at ;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If your headlights aren't bright enough with their standard output then I would go HIDs, being able to see clearly is more important to me than other peoples feelings.

As mentioned though, because your 4wd is a lot higher than most other vehicles you will be pointing it at their eyes no matter what so ive avoided doing since I can just turn on my flood lights when I need them.
Haha, All good that you can see well, but what about the 2-3 Tonne bullet travelling at 110km/h towards you?

The number of times i have come close to an accident because of people with HID in old landcruiser and patrol headlights blinding me on my way too and from work (i travel 1500+ km a week for work and the majority is at night.) is unbelievable, evidently they have the same attitude as you evidently, "Its all about them"

How would you feel explaining to my fiance and 5yr old son that i died in a car accident caused by your "ILLEGAL" overly bright and incorrectly focused HID headlights? explain to them how you couldnt cope with just some HID in your spotlights, you had to have them in your headlights as well, and how you dont care what others think as long as you can see well ...............

(Of course this isnt directed at you personally, as you said you have avoided doing so and just stuck to having your spotlights)

Cheers, Dean.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
How would you feel explaining to my fiance and 5yr old son that i died in a car accident caused by your "ILLEGAL" overly bright and incorrectly focused HID headlights? explain to them how you couldnt cope with just some HID in your spotlights, you had to have them in your headlights as well, and how you dont care what others think as long as you can see well ...............
Rather tell them you drove into something on the road cause the candles in the standard lamps are soooo crap?

If you dont like HIDs come up with a suitably priced <$500 solution to the woeful patrol low beam, otherwise quit your whining.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
If you dont like HIDs come up with a suitably priced <$500 solution to the woeful patrol low beam, otherwise quit your whining.
Bit of a troll statement there Benno? :p

It could be intrepreted that you consider the safety of others to be worth no more than $500... IE... it's the money not the courtesy and danger to other road users that's important ?

The "modification" (of just wacking HID Globes into standard reflector assy's) is illegal because it is inherently dangerous to others in wet conditions but ESPECIALLY when the oncoming vehicle with HID's crests a rise, hits a road repair, pothole or even slight rise in the road surface wet or dry.

No matter how much you adjust your HID's down for normal conditions when that happens the other driver gets a faceful and at a closing speed on the highway of 160 to 200 K's per hour.

So the Patrols have a "woeful" low beam. Bummer, so do a lot of other vehicles but IMHO it does not excuse anyone from not adjusting to the nighttime road conditions by taking the risk of overdriving the range of their Headlights.

...and Yes, I had HID's in my GQ main beams for a while but especially after seeing the results in the GU's with the faceted reflectors I removed them. There are a couple of GU's modd'd for HID in my Club and we ALL hate going on night runs with those trucks behind us because of the overly bright "flash gun" effect you get when they bounce thru a pothole or crest a rut. GU's having the clear lens makes them worse for that than a GQ unless the GQ has aftermarket clear 7" lenses then they are equally ****ty

So if Deans post is considered whining... Pffft... each to their own opinions, thats the whole idea of the Forum.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Comes down to same old arguements (the exact above I have heard several times before)..... and so on till people are clawing like dumb blondes. HID threads always turn to the no or yes camps, fact is is all been covered before, those who have them will keep them and those who dont will keep whining.

Put HIDs in or take them out, I dont give a fck, but resorting to shock style lines gets my temper up.

As for other cars having equally crappy low beam Im steadily fixing that, the forester has had HIDs for a while and the Tiida probably will get some for christmas.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
But benno .... its ILLEGAL to have HID fitted to a non HID manufactured car. No matter the pissin contest or the "fuk you I'll be alright jack" attitude.

Flat out. It's illegal.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Put HIDs in or take them out, I dont give a fck, but resorting to shock style lines gets my temper up.
haha, Typical of you Benno, shock style lines ay, Ill tell YOU what gets my temper up, the fact ive come so close many times to an accident from being blinded by HID lights while travelling to work. Maybe this means its not just a shock line, its actually been that close sometimes ??

But meh, you dont give a $h!t about what other people think anyway, thats easy to see, just look back through some of your thousands of posts, and its easy to see its Benno's way or not at all.

Vigilante style would be fun to get through to people with said attitudes, knock the headlights out with the .270 from the side of the highway and have a handheld HID spotlight straight into their eyes and see if they can keep their car on the highway :headwall::ranting: , hehe sounds like fun, pity its illegal ........., but then again so are HID's ;)

Rather tell them you drove into something on the road cause the candles in the standard lamps are soooo crap?
:withstup: Yer the Projector Headlamps on my new SS are crap :rolleyes:, bout the best your gonna get without being a car with proper "Legal" HID headlamps :cool:

Not that it really matters, Trying to change something by an internet forum is never going to work, we will just have to wait till the cops start nailing people for HID like they are now for using Fog Lights.

Cheers, Dean.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Comes down to same old arguements (the exact above I have heard several times before).....
Hehehe... yeah pretty much agree with you on that. :withstup:

What actually gets my temper up (and Post Count) is that the same old Questions get posted here, what, once a fortnight ? :headwall:

The "HID's in ya Headlights" subject would have to have between 12 to 15 threads and maybe 300+ posts/replies on here this year alone and it won't change a thing. Some people put 'em and won't take 'em out, Some people put 'em in and then remove them and Some people are totally against them in the first place. :roll:

The best thing that could happen is for the Moderators to post a link to the search button and lock the threads as soon as they come up and save everyones sanity. :cool:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
No what they need is a sticky thread for tech and genuine info, so we dont have to rehash each time .....

21 - 40 of 44 Posts