Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fitted some 6000k 55w hid's in my gu3. On low beam they are too bright just wondering if there is any way to dim them or fit a switch to control the brightness??

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
6000k will be a bluish white light which looks very bright, drop down to a 4500k light globe which is a more yellowish light ( closer to stock ). You will need bulbs only, this is the cheapest option.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,302 Posts
6000k will be a bluish white light which looks very bright, drop down to a 4500k light globe which is a more yellowish light ( closer to stock ).
I have already done this and I still find the lights too bright.

I have adjusted the lights down heaps and still get the occasional flash from other vehicles.

I am thinking about going back to the halogen bulbs

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
I recently fitted some 6000k 55w hid's in my gu3. On low beam they are too bright just wondering if there is any way to dim them or fit a switch to control the brightness??

Any help appreciated.
I'm running 55w adapters in my lighforce 170's. if they're anything like mine then they would be far too bright for road/city use anyway.

for city driving hi/lo's should really be 35w - 55w in the city will just pi$$ off other drivers

getting lower kelvins won't alter the fact that you're pumping them through 55w ballasts.

IMO the best solution is to buy 35w ballasts and replace the 55's (for the hi/lo city driving) and either use the 55's as secondary spottie drivers or see if you can exchange them (or sell them)

the other thing is that even though HID hi/lo kits are availabe to convert your standard headlights, the standard reflectors are not designed for them and you can get odd dispersal patterns.

full factory hids (like mercedes, bmw's, audi, disco3's etc...) are different beasts their HIDs/bulbs are designed for the factory reflectors.

so the odd discharge patterns you see on oncoming HID equiped cars are not just possibly dodgey balasts, but also because the kits were not designed specifically for that vehicles reflectors.

there are some in the vehicle lighting industry who amp up at hi-lo kits for the above reasons. if you want to get some very very good insight into HIDs, their legality/illegality, performance issues etc.... then do a google for candlepower forums... and have a gander at the automobile/vehicle section

bottomline (IMO) is that 55w for hi-lo is overkill and you would have been far better off getting the 35w kit (if you were going to buy HIDs anyway).

also get advice and do homework beyond just listening to boxfloggers who will sell you anything and sometimes with next to zero care

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
I used to have 35w HID headlights....had them for about 6 years. But I got tired of being "flashed" by oncoming, even though I had adjusted them as much as possible.

I've gone back to Phillips +80 (I think that's what they're called).....and with my 4 Lightforce 170s (with 50watt HID conversions), I have enough light and it's not too bad dropping back to low beam for oncoming cars.

Roachie

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
I used to have 35w HID headlights....had them for about 6 years. But I got tired of being "flashed" by oncoming, even though I had adjusted them as much as possible.
I had 35 watters in my rangie classic, I ended up pulling them and using crystal reflectors and hella hilo's

same reason, too many cranky punters in the other direction...

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
I run 70w HID hi/low's in my GQ and havn't been flashed yet ! .

might just be lucky .

·
Registered
368 Posts
here in adelaide 75% of jap cars (ie skylines soarers 180SX) are running HID kits.Ive fitted projector lamps to mine and havent had any flashes or cop attention with my 55w HID kit.It also depends what kelvin you use.I have 5000k and its not that bad on the eye.The worst for irritating your eyes is Chrysler 300C, factory they look blue!
And it's not so much as being bright that gets your attention, its the signifcant difference in colour to the guy with halogen lamps next to you.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
I have 5000k and its not that bad on the eye.The worst for irritating your eyes is Chrysler 300C, factory they look blue!
And it's not so much as being bright that gets your attention, its the signifcant difference in colour to the guy with halogen lamps next to you.

5000-6000k is getting to the max of "white"

any higher than 6000k and its an absolute woftam - the effectiveness of the light to be able to reach out and have depth diminishes with each 1000k increase.

those blokes running 8000k and up are hitting blue/purple and will have bugger all depth and penetration to act as spotlights... OTOH, 55w+ HIDs will literally screw the OP's vision up if they happen to cop it at the wrong angle.

once those HIDs start looking purple, they're not interested in having lights that work as spotlights, but are after the "show"

even the boxfloggers who sell these things will tell you the same about higher kelvin rates and their effectiveness as "lights"

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
ive had my 35w kits in the headlights for about 12 months now and no flashes ever. so id be dropping back to a 35w kit and try that. as the bigger kit is obviously to much.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
55w in mine .......angled correctly - not a single flash since

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
Probably wouldn't concern too many people but I think "HID converted headlights = void insurance"

There is a split bulb where only hi beam is HID!!!

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
i get flashed with standard 55w halogens in my narva inserts, any they're aimed down as far as they can (from when i ran HIDs). the people that hate me are usually in front of me at the lights, but i think thats more a height thing than anything

another 35w kit with a slightly lower kelvin rating than previous (ive had 4300k and 6000k kits before) are in order for my crystal inserts.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts