Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

From the get go id like to clarify that this post is not about running down a person or business.

For those that have a set of lights like the below link for their GU, how have you found them to live with both on and off road after owning them for a while?
Complete Headlights : Nissan GU Patrol

Have you have any unwanted attention from the boys in blue? have you had any issues trying to sell your car with them fitted? i.e. not passing a RWC?

In terms of devil eyes, what on earth are they? I see you can get different colours. Are these different colours just for effect or if you get red for example does that mean your high beam and low beam light is red?

angel eyes I am assuming are the halo of light around the projector and are used for park lights?

I cracked a headlight on a recent drive to Sydney, the crack is right across the whole lens and it does let water in when I wash it so sooner or later ill have to replace it (I expect it would fill up in the first bit of deep water I go through / wouldn't pass a QLD RWC in currents form)

Many thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Give **** a call, he was always helpful to answer the questions I had.

I think people have been fined before for them, but I think it's rare. The job **** does looks pretty OEM (at least before you start painting the housing and adding funky coloured halos).

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
I have had them for 4 years in my gu now. Many trips to 4wd parks and offroad. Still as good as the day they were fitted and no attention from the authorities. Will be selling shortly so will see how the rwc thing goes I guess.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
I just drove the whole way around Australia with them and had no problems at all. I did get pulled over a few times for regular checks and to blow in the machine, but not once did a copper say Oh your lights look odd.

RWC is not such a regular problem in WA so not had to deal with that over here.
It would take me an hour to put the factory lights bak in if there was an issue.

I have them looking as factory as possible without the devils or angel eye bling. Mine look factory.

Lighting wise:
they are brilliant on high beam, I have 50W HID with 3" Lexus RX350 Projectors.
BUT on low beam, you do have to get used to how sharp the cut-off is. The Cut-off prevents light from blinding oncoming drivers, but you can see bugger all above that line. Hence getting them adjusted for your rig and the weight you have is important to set them up in the first place. When you dip your lights it is not the gradual fade from bright to dim that you get with standard lights, there is a distinct cut-off line.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Lighting wise:

BUT on low beam, you do have to get used to how sharp the cut-off is. The Cut-off prevents light from blinding oncoming drivers, but you can see bugger all above that line. Hence getting them adjusted for your rig and the weight you have is important to set them up in the first place. When you dip your lights it is not the gradual fade from bright to dim that you get with standard lights, there is a distinct cut-off line.
This is what i find. It's very sharp and nothing outside the line can be seen.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Ive had mine in for a while now. Lots of on and off road driving.
I couldnt go back to standard headlights easily, as mentioned these are the real deal. They have plenty of light, and a clean cut off so you dont annoy other drivers. Lots of cars have projectors these days .. Mine look factory, never had an issue with the boys in blue (and yes they have looked over the car).

I didnt go angel eyes or devil eyes as i didnt want any extra attention.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mick..

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Ohh and what i did was bought the whole assemblies from **** ready to swap for my old head lights. I have a gu2 so i needed new assemblies anyway. Kept the old headlights and indicator assemblies in case my car ever blows up .

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
I was talking to Sim the other day and the retrofit came up in conversation (we are from QLD), he's had them for years on his CRD and not had any issues, he does a lot of traveling with his big van also, ie he joined us at the 5000k round trip Pinaroo meetup trip last year.

I would suggest the OP has a talk to ****, if he hasn't already, he can PM him or get him through fakebook, he has a thread in Supporting Vendors here now.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

If you didnt know what the head light looks like normally you wouldnt pick this as a retrofit. Looks stock.

Reactions: razor2000

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Clearly the ones **** sells have proven to be reliable and they are well supported by his Business. The only reason I don't have them is I dont want the legal hassle if things go wrong and I get caught with them. Headlights are just as common as exhausts for things to get pinged on. People will make their own minds up about what to do or what not to do with unroadworthy mods.

In many ways I feel bad for **** and I think it would be fairer for the Government to have more reasonable laws about being able to retrofit say certified HIDs into vehicles that dont have them rather than the way the regs are with FORs/Dept of Infrastructure currently.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Ive had mine in for a while now. Lots of on and off road driving.
I couldnt go back to standard headlights easily, as mentioned these are the real deal. They have plenty of light, and a clean cut off so you dont annoy other drivers. Lots of cars have projectors these days .. Mine look factory, never had an issue with the boys in blue (and yes they have looked over the car).

I didnt go angel eyes or devil eyes as i didnt want any extra attention.

My experience exactly. I love them.

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who have posted. Yes I have been in contact with **** and he had been very helpful. I was merely asking for life experience from those who have had them for a while.

Those who say they have not had any issues from the boy in blue, are you reflectors still silver? Or did you go for the blacked out look?

I'm not too worried about the boys in blue, I've tried to keep my rig looking clean and respectable as not to draw unwanted attention and never had an issue so far..

I really dig this look, but probably would go no shrouds? Devils eyes and forward facing Angel eyes..

Thanks,

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Those who say they have not had any issues from the boy in blue, are you reflectors still silver? Or did you go for the blacked out look?
Silver looks factory and would attract less attention, especially in lighter colored cars.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,024 Posts
I've been running ***** conversion in the shorty for close to 5 years now - never missed a beat, never been chatted by the plods when pulled over for breathalysers or even a random intercept on the hume (apparently they pull over regular known vehicles/drivers as part of profile checks for courier/drug runners)

I don't run them in the maverick and to be blunt, I hate driving the maverick at night because the lights are just not up to the same capability - so my expectations are now high due to being spoilt by ***** conversions.

its on the short list of best things/mods I've done

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
*****s flash me
If your getting flashed your lights are a little to high mate.

This is what i find. It's very sharp and nothing outside the line can be seen.
In your case your lights are way to low. lol You only see that cut off on a wall or 50 to 80 meters in front of you which is double the output you would see past a factory halogen headlight.

For the guys worried about the cops I have done a heap of retrofits for there personal cars, I advertise in the Police Journal, (APFA mag) which is the Australian Police Football association, Ambulance and also the Fire brigade journals so most know who I am and what I do. Most will know the difference between a proper HID conversion and cheap ebay imitation projector headlights.

I wont fit forward facing red or blue leds and anything that blinds oncoming cars or will cause the customer unwanted attention. I wont fit any kits larger then 50 watt and I wont sell any H4 HID bulbs. I wont fit silly coloured bulbs such as 8000K or darker.

There is also a few people who had these added to engineers certificates as well. I have also fixed countless projector conversions for insurance companies where headlights have been smashed in car accidents or from hitting roos. They don't question it they just pay the bill and generally always replace both headlights.

Generally people who get a defect notice have HIDs in reflectors, blinding blue colours, have a totally defective car for other reasons, or have been a smartass to the cops. Driving at night they look just like any OEM headlights coming the other way and though the day they look OEM unless you go with custom colours.

Angel eyes can be totally hidden behind shrouds so they cant be detected unless you choose to have them on the front.

If you are wanting your car 100% road legal then don't put roof racks, after market side steps, rear bars or bullbars on as according to the police and also a person I spoke to about ADR approval the only parts that are 100% legal was ADR approved on the car from factory. So if you get a bad cop you can go for all of it.

I hope that clears up a few things.

Cheers ****

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
A old friend of mine bought a brand new SS commodore. It was like 1 week old when he got pulled over for driving like a tool. His attitude sucked and when the police saw his tail light didnt work (blown bulb) he got defected! It was his fault for being an idiot but goes to show that a brand new car, with no mods, can get defected!

***** work is of the highest quality and id recommend him to anyone that wants a quality product and A1 service.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,024 Posts
I wont fit forward facing red or blue leds
am pretty sure that anyone doing this will get nailed by the plods anyway as they'll come under the reqs about looking like a first responder and not being one etc....

forget the actual details, but red/blue lights on the front is a no no - as opposed to red coloured IR lenses and filters which can also only be used off road anyway.

if anyone can reference the specifics re the above it might be useful info to share anyway

(better off stating facts than promoting an urban myth or getting the details completely arse up!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts