Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Went to re-fit my Narva 225's with HID Conversion after my new bar and winch got put in by ARB

The lights were working fine prior to me removing them from the bar.

One light was working and other flickered briefly and turned off whilst other light stayed on, realised I had the wires backwards on so blue to white etc. Fixed that and same issue occurred.

Tried swapping ballasts over and same problem just opposite, so i figured a ballast issue, left it for a bit and tried again and both lights flicker and turn off now.

I Have power from battery to relay, and relay to power to ballast on both, it has these ballasts.. is there a way to determine what wattage? as they were already in when i purchased the car and this is all i have to go off.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Put a decent separate earth return from the bulbar to the battery.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I put a new arb bull on 2 yrs ago and had earthing issues with the winch, I put in a separate earth which cured the problem.

·
Registered
Nissan
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a decent separate earth return from the bulbar to the battery.
Thanks might give that a go. The lights are currently earthed to the chassis. How would you go about earthing the bar?

·
Registered
802 Posts
If they are the original ballasts, they are 55w.

Do as others have suggested, earth the lights back to the battery.

·
Registered
Nissan
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they are the original ballasts, they are 55w.

Do as others have suggested, earth the lights back to the battery.
Tried earthing to battery still same issue also new relay same issue occuring. Is there a way of checking output from ballast to lights through the water proof plugs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
There is ways of testing ballasts but as they put out up to 50,000 volts so it's not something I would recommend without knowing what your doing. If you reversed the polarity on those ballasts there's a good chance you shorted them out. Ballasts don't like having the polarity reversed.

The easiest way to test is bypass the wiring harness altogether and put 12 volts straight to the input of each ballast. Testing the output safely could be done with bulbs you know work but that is the only way I would recommend you do it.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan
196 Posts
I would suggest a "bench test" or at least a direct connect to battery. Then if no issue at that point begin the process of elimination.........................................

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
...as they put out up to 50,000 volts so it's not something I would recommend without knowing what your doing.
What Mick is saying is you should try this, but video it and put it on YouTube and give us all the link :)

Reactions: Mick..

·
Registered
Nissan
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys. Replaced both ballasts this afternoon and ran them for 10mins seem to be good. That's for all the help

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Don't HID ballasts have they're own relay for power conversion purposes? I had this issue when I put HID's in my commodore, I had it earthed to one of the guard bolts, different concept I know but it might help.

I had the flickering issue if I started the car with them on. The voltage would short out or something and one would stay on and one would turn off. It was a matter of turning the headlights off and on again.

It could also be a water issue, I know some ballasts are prone to getting a build up of condensation in them, or if you have crimped any terminals on to join wires they maybhave got abit of water in there aswell

Hope this helps and good luck with it mate

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Sorry mate didn't see that last post, congrats on sorting it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts