Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm certainly no auto electrician, but I thought i'd give installing some spotties a crack anyways. So i've got 4 spotties across the front of my truck, plumbed into the high beam circuit running off a relay. Pretty sure it's all the standard type wiring.

It's been running pretty fine for about 2 or 3 months until just recently. Now sometimes i'll turn the High Beams on, and when I turn them off the spotties stay on. My high beam light goes off but the spotties stay on. . . . The only way to get the spotties to turn off is to turn on the high beams, then flick the switch off for the lights. It only happens every now and then.

could this be related to a similar issue that is:

Occasionally i'll turn my car on and flick the lights on, and randomly the high beam light will be on, on the dash. . . . The high beams aren't on and no matter what I do, the light just won't go off. Then randomly, it'll just flick off... for no apparent reason.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what may be happening with my wiring?

Thanks

TF

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
4 spotties running off one relay? Try one relay for each pair of spots.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMM. It's a 40amp relay, the draw shouldn't be any more than 33Amps.

I'll give it a go.

TF

·
8,549 Posts
could be your high beam switch in the end of the stalk playing up then.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That'd be a pain in the ass to fix. . .

I reckon there's more to it than that. . . It couldn't be a bad earth could it?

TF

·
8,549 Posts
Any of your lights HID's?

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
check your relay and wiring to the relay and that is plug up the right way like for postive switching light not negative switching

a bad earth wont do that it just wont work but it could be earthing out in the wrong spot

i dont think indapendant relay will change it if your fuse is less then 40 it will blow befor you wreck the relay

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Use no more than 2 spotties on one relay,the contacts tend to get burned and fuse together or keep sticking.
That the high beam keeps burning probably the same problem,altho it can also be caused by bad ground.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah none of my lights are HID.

I think the key is probably the relays. Can't really see how that would effect eh High Beam Dash Light being on when the lights aren't. . . but certainly having the spotties stick on, seeing as it's the relay that's doing the switching.

can someone explain to me the whole positive/negative switching thing?

TF

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
you can make a relay swichtch by making/braking the positive terminal so called positive switching or you can make it do the same by making/braking negative terminal and that's negative switching.

If it's only the dash light playing up it will probably be the lightswitch
This is a common thing to play up with MK's,take it apart,clean and polish internal terminals with fine sandpaper and reassemble. problem solved.
It can be done without removing the stearingwheel but you would have to own rubber fingers or rip a dentist for his tools.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,383 Posts
If the headlights switch off and on properly and the spotties don't then that indicates to me it is not the switch that is the problem.

I would be looking at your new wiring for sure. JET6 has posted up a good wiring diagram on here just recently (somewhere) so that would be good to look at to see if what you have done is similar. Make sure all your connections are good, and you have good contacts and earths.

Also, don't disregard the possibility of a faulty relay. I have had two go in my Rodeo.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeh i think i'll have to rip it all out and start from scratch. . .

Thing is there were some spotties on the truck when i got it, and the new set is just piggy backed off that system. . . The wiring is all up to the job power wise, but i'd say there's probably a few dodgy connections in there somewhere.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pull the plugs off your headlight globes and clean terminals, also clean the plug, and possibly close up the female terminals with a small screwdriver, I have had similar probs on 2x Patrols, and a Rodeo, poor return earth allows current to return thru high beam filament.
If it is not the prob, at least you know you have good connections to your main lights!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
yer just had this problem with my high beam light on and i dont have spotties all stock as a rock but the terminal on the back of the light was loose pulled it off bit of emery paper bit of copper coat sweet as mate lights turn on and off as does the high beam light!

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Ive had that problem to in my car, nissan put in some sort of system so that when one headlight isn't working with high beam an low beam it will turn on the highbeam light to let you know, this wont affect the head lights but because you have you spotlights wired after the highbeam signal light on the dash your spotties will turn on. I fixed it by going to the wreckers and getting a new plug cause mine was a little bit loose and would bounce around when i was driving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts