Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i would trow up a thread and see if anyone is interested going up the high country not exactly so sure where but ideas would be great, was thinking of 3 day trip

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
I would but I'm not to sure how a non lifted GQ would do with A/T's haha

·
Registered
nissan gq
14 Posts
would mind havin a go up there had my first crack there yesterday and had a ball but was limited because was by my self put details up and will see what happens

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
The only place you *might* have problems without a lift would be the last bit of Blue rag, but then again there were prado's up there when i went up so you should be right..

Wonder how the rain has affected it? It was quite hot when i was there over new years

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
The High Country covers a pretty big area, you need to define what you intend, or would like, to cover.

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Yeah as Ray said, where? High country could mean anywhere between Healsville to Dargo or Warragul to Wodonga. I am interested though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am keen , more details please, when? where?, cheers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was wanting to go where roothy did on his latest high country trip at the old world war one track but travel to other spots to like i said i want to do at least 2 solid days of 4wdriving i have only been once thats why i wanted people who have been there to give some ideas so we can work out a trip

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
If you want to do that track you will need 35s a good winch and a bit of lift if it is wet otherwise it isn't too bad but you should still have 35s and a winch. :D That track is short anyway and can be done in an arvo, even if you drive from Melbourne. There are a lot of tracks around Wesburn, Big Pats Creek, Reefton, Gladysdale, Three Bridges, Powelltown, etc that you could do on day trips or overnighters.

Where are you coming from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am keen , more details please, when? where?, cheers.
If you want to do that track you will need 35s a good winch and a bit of lift if it is wet otherwise it isn't too bad but you should still have 35s and a winch. :D That track is short anyway and can be done in an arvo, even if you drive from Melbourne. There are a lot of tracks around Wesburn, Big Pats Creek, Reefton, Gladysdale, Three Bridges, Powelltown, etc that you could do on day trips or overnighters.

Where are you coming from?
well do you think you could work out 2 days worth of tracks cos i have not got a map yet and dont have the experience of the high counrty. but i do want to give my winch a work out cos its still under warranty

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I will sus something out, when do you want to go and did you want to do 2 or 3 days as you get over winching all day pretty fast? If doing 3 days would you consider going out to Woods Point, Jamieson way for a day or so, different environment and easier going.

Remember, it does snow and get very cold in some parts of the VHC.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Apparently many of the extended track closures since the floods/heavy rain few mths ago, will reopen AFTER the long weekend... Suppose they dont want the tracks flogged too hard quickly.

Im tryin to confirm this at moment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i want to do three days but i have a birthday on the saturday im trying to get out of if i can but if i cant it will be sunday-monday but we could do one day hard one day easier

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
No worries I'll need to confirm I'm available with the PA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so who wants to come. hey hey have you worked out any of the tracks mate and we will need to figure out a meeting point to

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
64 Posts
Im interested in a long w-e trip to the high country. i was up there north of Omeo between xmas and new years and went back early jan too. sat beside the mitta mitta and gibbo rivers for a few days. a lot of tracks were closed, a lot of campsites closed also due to flood damage. the parkweb web page doesn't seem to have listed many if any reopenings since i was there.

suggest planning a list of places to see, plan a route and then check against closure listing.

im not familiar with the high country other than between omeo and corryong. happy to put something together if you like, otherwise someone with better knowledge further west should do it.

i'd be coming from Melb

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Sorry, I have been really busy lately. Unfortunately at this stage I may not be able to make it, as it will be my 6 year anniversary during the following week, so it depends on if the missus decides to book something.

This is what I think may be pretty good, but probably too much old man type stuff (not that I'm old, I'm in my 20's).

DAY 1
I'm assuming it will be an arvo start if your coming from Bendigo, so arvo meetup at Yarra Junction, hit the tracks at Wesburn like Cemetery Track, Burn Rd (WW2 track as they put it on 4wd Action), then what ever tracks to Reefton or Big River depending on time. These tracks will be the most challenging and depending on the weather, may take more than all day:D

DAY 2
Leave Reefton or Big River, head around Big River State Forest to Mt. Terrible then Snake Edwards Divide

DAY 3
Then maybe Lazzarini Spur Track and up to Jamieson and home. This can be whatever, by this stage different people may want to do different stuff and will be heading home in different directions. If you don't mind heading out further from Melbourne, Walhalla way can be fun but is a bit of a drive.

Let me know what you think?

Doing this will show you a fair bit of difference in the environment between the different areas and how different areas are suited to different types of 4wd, Wesburn and surrounding areas are all about big power, big tyres, big winches and big egos, while Big River and majority of the other areas of the VHC are just cruising, high climbs, rock crawling, river crossings and actually getting somewhere.

All tracks are on Rooftop's Maps.

For the areas above I have looked at
- Yarra Valley - West Gippsland Adevture Map/Gembrook Noojee Forest Activities Map (it is actually one map)
-Jamieson - Licola Adventure Map.

If you just want to do some serious mud bashing all weekend and don't just want to cruise, then I suggest just doing Wesburn and maybe Gembrook and Toolangi, they have some really challenging mud and bog holes and you'll always be close to some sort of civilization and there are always others on the tracks to give you a hand. (Plus they are closer to Melbourne).

You can always start with Day 1 as I'm once again assuming this is what you actually wanted to do in your first post, then do what ever you want.

If you stop in at Yarra Junction and the post office is open, go grabs some maps. The bloke that runs the joint is really helpful and has most if not all of the Rooftop's maps that I find the best.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts