Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question im planning on doing a trip from around the dargo area and hoping to end in mansfield area i have around a week to do it just want to know what tracks people think i should do ( i have never done high country before)
its going to be just me and the mrs so i dont want the tracks to be super hard
i have a winch 3" lift and running 35 muddies
thanks for the advice in advance

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
JUST LOOK A COUPLE OF LINKS DOWN "victoria-forum-meetup-3rd-5th-december". A WHOLE LOT OF FUN AROUND KEVINGTON AND A GREAT DRIVE UP TO MOUNT TERRIBLE. SOMETHING I MANAGED TO DO IT QUITE EASILY WITH A STOCK GQ (ALBEIT WITH SOME MORE EXPERIENCED GUYS LIKE RAY LEADING THE WAY)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks mate ,
everyone i talk to says to go billy goats bluff so i think i will definately be doing that
Has anyone else got any good tracks in that area??

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
From the bottem of billy goats you go to wonnangatta via eithier wombat spur or hearn spur,Then out zeka spur to mt howitt and the home along the high plains rd to mansfield.Or through to talbotville camp there and do a day trip up collingwood on to mcmillan then down bulltown spur and back to camp.Havent done these tracks in a long time so condition is unknowen When i did them about 10 years ago they were a good challange.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You would want to get track updates before you go. The Howqua area has been damaged quite a lot due to the recent rains and floods, so much so that a number of tracks in that area have been completely washed away, one of which is King Billy Track which takes you from the Howitt Plains down past The Bluff and into Bindaree and the Howqua.

If you head up Billy Goats Bluff, you will end up at the Pinnacles and your only way to Mansfield (if King Billy is closed) from there is a 2wd dirt road down to Licola, and then back up over Mt Skene to Jamesion and Bitumen to Mansfield.

If you end up south of the Wonnangatta Valley, I would be more inclined to stick to the tracks and come out at Walhalla or something.

Get yourself a map and plan your trip, most of the tracks in that area are great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Be aware of river heights.

Last weekend the Wonnangatta River was right up to the top of it's banks and running very fast through the Wonnangatta Valley, ie: bottom of Billy Goats out to Kingwells Bridge and Waterford. It has dropped from 2.5 m to 2m over this week but there has been more heavy rains through there today which will make it rise again.

Might be worth checking this site River Height Bulletin for Mitchell, Tambo, Snowy, Cann, Genoa or making some calls before you leave just to be sure. People have been trapped in theses areas already this year. Dargo is expecting 10 to 15mm tomorrow and there are showers expected for Monday and Tuesday. I don't wish to sound alarmist at all but just make sure you do some checking.

Other than rivers with your lift and tyers you should have no problems with the well used tracks in the High Country.

TJ..

·
Banned
nissan patrol
78 Posts
I'm heading to Dargo for some camping for a couple of weeks there are some great tracks but Billy goats gets a bit like Chapel st on a friday night people going every where, last time I went to Dargo I smashed my steering box on the first day of the long weekend and took two days to track on down and get it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts