Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 08
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of a few suggestions...

I have a 2008 CRD patrol with 207000 kms. On a recent trip the car goes into limp mode when towing. The only way to restore power is to turn the car off and then on again. We are also having trouble with black smoke and high EGTs. 750c when driving up small hills. I have done the current mods (egr block, daws valve, catch can, 3" exhaust, Cross country inter cooler, Currently have inlet manifold out cleaning it).

Has anyone had a similar problem in the past.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When a CRD goes to limp that is what normally happens, much more complicated than a DI. High EGT is associated with high fuel input for the amount of air going in (or low AFR), your black smoke issue is indicating a problem.

You need to answer a few questions to get to the bottom of the limp issue, what boost are you running, is your MAF nice and clean (this can cause limp)? How are the injectors? have you tried an injector cleaner (this is a good thing to do on a regular basis, even if it's only fuel doctor or chemteck)?

Could be a lot of things but best to rule out the simple ones.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 08
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I changed the injectors about 15000 km ago. When vehicle was having trouble starting
Had black smoke straight away then changed maf. No change. Then fitted egt and boost gauge and egr block. Set boost at 18 psi with dawes valve. Agree egt is from fuel and air hence manifold clean today. I am running out of things to do. Hope someone might give me some ideas

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Is it throwing up any codes when going into limp mode?

What boost is it running under load?

is it lacking power at all?

I had my Intake manifold cleaned a while ago but not really worth the effort, it was not really that blocked at 227,000kms but not to say you wont find anything.

Lack of fuel pressure or fuel issues from experience will throw up a code and even shut the engine off, but if your patrol is not shutting off just going into limp might not be fuel

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu6
1,601 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. After i blocked the egr port, no code just lost all power and had to pull over and resart like you said.
I had no black smoke though.
I believe mine was from the ecm "seeing" to much boost. Was picking up 23psi on scangauge on a long pull.
I have since had a retune and have noticed that the scangauge only reads 21psi and have not had the limp mode issue as of yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts