Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad found what seems to be a good patrol to buy but the turbo is high flowing and the car has a mod plate. What does high flowing the turbo do? "apart from giving it more power". And could it cause engine failure or turbo blowing up or something like that in the future?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
i think when high flowing a turbo, the place will machine out the inlet of the turbo and put in larger diameter impeller, increasing power across the rev range. i think thats all thats done. the turbo on my lux has been high flowed, much better than the off the shelf unit.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
i think when high flowing a turbo, the place will machine out the inlet of the turbo and put in larger diameter impeller, increasing power across the rev range. i think thats all thats done. the turbo on my lux has been high flowed, much better than the off the shelf unit.

thats pretty much it in a nut shell

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
My dad found what seems to be a good patrol to buy but the turbo is high flowing and the car has a mod plate. What does high flowing the turbo do? "apart from giving it more power". And could it cause engine failure or turbo blowing up or something like that in the future?
What's ya dad looking at mate, zd30 or td42?

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a td42. So no damage to any components will done in the future due to high flowing the turbo?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
MTQ do them.

I have read many times when they mill out the housing for the bigger wheel that the housing can deform causing much Boom... I haven't read a thread where it has happened though.

JohnVic mate of mine has had it done to 4 GU 4.2's so far and never a problem

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
I'vehad it done on mine, it's done 95000km most of it towing a caravan 2.3t and ute fully loaded, havent had a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
turbo glide kits have a highflowed t28 garret

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
How much does high flowing a turbo cost?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
Not to sure on the cost of high flow alone, but my system cost just under 3k. So take out the price of the exhaust (3in), dyno tune and labour. I'd say around 1k, i could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Im dont think many places touch the compressor on a td42 turbo. Most of them just bore out the exhaust housing and put a larger turbine in. This relieves the backpressure, allows it to flow more and provides the extra power.

Safe as houses to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts