Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my LWB Td42 has been making a very high pitched squeal for the last couple of months. It only happens when under 40k's and disappears when you rank it left. As anyone would think it would be wheel bearings, so i replaced them with a new kit, both sides. Still there... Today i replaced front pads, greased all uni's and gave a big clean underneath. Its still there.

Ive had it in at work and all the boys have looked at it and cant pinpoint it. Had it at another mechanic he cant source it either.
The only thing i can think of is it could be the inner CV's. And im on my hands and knees praying its not.

Has anyone had a similar problem or can give me some ideas. The bloody **** box is doing me up the wall.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take it into a large private car park and get a mate to hang out the door to try and pinpoiint where its coming from...

belts?
no obvious rubbing points?
no excessive heat from driveline?
Was the first thing i did mate, its definitely from the driveline somewhere. The hubs were very hot, thats why it thought it would of had to be the bearing. But after replacing them they are still hot to touch.

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
did you check the rear bearings?....I only ask cause I had a high pitched squeel on mine and it was a rear bearing. I took the rear wheels off and while on stands put it in drive and it was obvious then which wheel it was.

·
Registered
331 Posts
im guessing you put new bearings on all the axles front and back?
only other thing have you checked your oil levels in your diffs? might be from there?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
2 things come to mind
front pad anti rattle plates
through them away most new pads r rubber backed so dont use them- they made a terrible noise when i brought my mav.

other thing that might be more likely
in my old patrol i had a terrible squeel coming from the rear axle seals.
was so embarrasing in carparks and shopping centers. i took the wheels and and greased the seals and never heard the noise again.

it could be coming from the back. my front bake noise sounded like it was at the back so i did my rear brakes and the noise was still there so then i looked at the front lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
Mike
Isaacs Auto Electrical
just noticed your tag block :)

when I lived in SA I used to get my cars done at your work.

I used to have a XA van with a 427 and C6, later an XB van with a 4.4 alloy terrier truck (p76 family) motor, and a Mini 1100 with split honda 750 megs ...

you guys did superb work.... (in SA 77-92)

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Handbrake on the tailshaft?

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Handbrake on the tailshaft?
Nah already tried that mate, I just greased all my uni's the other day, the noise now takes longer to appear but still there, so im now leaning towards the uni's. Will pull them off one night and have a gander.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,528 Posts
I had the same noise on my car, a real pain. I could not work out why it went away when I turned the steering wheel. It turned out to be the brakes. The anti rattle plates were not there, in its place was a soft cloth type of fabtic that was quite thin, as if it had worn out?? Anyway I got rid of them & used discquiet and the noise went away. I am guessing when I had my rotors machined & the brake pads replaced the bloke got rid of the anti-rattle plates. I have since replace my rotors as they were undersize & brake pads and all is still good (I did not use discquiet this time).

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
figure out what this noise was mate?
was the noise consistent? meaning was it like a monotone sqeal? or did it have a roughness to the sqeal? like a grind in there?

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
sticky slider pins on the calipers?

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Glazed brakes? mine is making similar noises on front passenger wheel & after some looking around & taking the wheels off a couple of times to check brake pads I found this to be so. I took brake pads out (twice) & rubbed the shine off them as they were very shiny, once by hand the other with a sander. This worked for a few days but gradually came back so I'm resigned to have to get new disc rotors, oh the pads still have 8mm left so don't need replacing. :D

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yee i greased all my unis and was still there. About 4 days later it went but came back on and off but it hasnt been back since. Was possibly the unis taking a while for the grease to settle through.

All i care is that its finally gone haha.

Cheers for all the help anyway

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
So my LWB Td42 has been making a very high pitched squeal for the last couple of months. It only happens when under 40k's and disappears when you rank it left.

Cheers
sounds like something is rubbing on your rotor. splash guard?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts