Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Higher EGT when Dieselgas turned on

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  camo75 
#1 · (Edited)
I just noticed the darndest thing.

When i have my dieselgas on, not only are my EGT are higher, the temperature takes longer to recover after going up a long climb.

The dieselgas does give me better power and economy, but im making a mental note now whenever i have to go up a long climb (and maybe also when im out slogging it in 4 low) to turn the gas off..

It must make the diesel burn so much more thoughly that it causes extra heat!

I have done the final adjustment on my dawes etc, it is running awesome..

#3 ·
I thought it would too. But i just went out and tested it on the same hill.. same speed, same constant acceleration.

I was out tuning the dawes valve so was mainly looking at the boost gauge to start with, but when i noticed the EGT's getting into the 400's i thought i would give it another go with the gas off - 325-350C. Even pottering arund the side streets the EGT seemed closer to 200 (or less) than the 250 i normally see..

Also very interested to hear what other dieselgas owners experience!

#5 ·
maybe the gas is doing its thing as a catalyst and the diesel is burning more completely, creating more heat?

Shane: thats heaps weird... didnt think the dieselgas would know if the cruise control was on!

I dont have cruise control otherwise i would test that as well..

#8 ·
Nah guy's this is the main reason that i havnt put it on the gu because it does burn hotter in diesel's.Everyone with it will tell you the same thing

#9 ·
Yeah mate, Mine increases EGT with the D-Gas.
If yours is only running into the 400's it's not a concern. Perfectly normal. I Don't like it when mine gets up close to 550.

Cheers,
Shayne.

#11 ·
yours must be wired up a little different than mine as my gas system wont work when the cruise control in on.
The supplier of my system wired the gas to come on when the go pedel is pressed a little(there is a micro switch on the pedel).
Seeing the cruise doent use the pedel to operate the gas system doesnt work.

Do you know how your is wired up?

#13 ·
What does the cmopany that fitted it say?

I'm sure I've read dozens of times that it lowered EGT's...
Ditto that, I talso thought high EGT's are caused by unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber subsequently burning in the exhaust tract..... diesel gas was meant to help burn more fuel in the combustion chamber and hence lower EGT's..... wasnt it?

Maybe timing needs to be reset? Should you run more advance with diesel gas?

#14 ·
DIESEL GAS AUSTRALIA

Does the engine run hotter?
No. Since more power is being produced the engine does not have to work as hard so it will not run hotter. Exhaust gas temperatures are also cooler since there is no longer excess fuel being burnt in the exhaust system.

#15 ·
it will be intresting to see if the gas system is on with the cruise. It could be that the results they are getting are reversed. (cooler temp at 100 without cruise becasue gas is on and hotter temp under cruise because gas is off)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.