Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Patrol Lovers,

Its my first ever post at Patrol 4x4. Recently we were on 12 days expedition to North Pakistan from Islamabad (Capital of Pakistan), with our all time favorite twin Nissan Patrol Y60, we achieved elevation of 4903 meters, is it the highest elevation achieved by any Nissan Patrol?

I must say, its a tank, not a vehicle, we traveled 2400 KM on one of the toughest roads and terrain, with Bantam T3C Trailer, without any trouble, we traveled back home. Below are the pictures, which I wanted to share with Patrol Lovers.

More images on next thread

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Welcome mate. love that pic under the big rock. Why not post an introductory thread in the newby section and tell us a little about yourself and your truck, we have many international members.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...

Welcome mate. love that pic under the big rock. Why not post an introductory thread in the newby section and tell us a little about yourself and your truck, we have many international members.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to introduce myself at newbie section... Thanks...

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Great pics!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Thanks a lot, looking forward to introduce myself at newbie section... Thanks...
Maybe you could tell us how much difference you noticed with engine performance at the higher altitudes? Here in Oz our highest mountain is only 2228m (and you can't get anywhere near the top in a vehicle) so we never experience truly high altitude driving here.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the great report and photos. We need more trip reports like this. If you do more trips, please post them up.

I think that higher altitude trips have been made to the relatively easily accessible by 4x4 "Refugio Tejos" base camp at about 5800m on the Volcano "Ojos del Salado" in Chile. I found a few photos of Y60's there with a quick search. (see gallery in this link; Ojo’s Del Salado (6893m) | Climbing South America)

How did your vehicles go at 4900m altitude? One of your photos shows what looks a lot of white smoke coming out.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for appreciation,

I visited the link which you sent me, no doubt, for four wheel high altitude record, Chilean brother holds this record, as we been to 4903 meters, so I was just curious, if Patrol even been to such heights.

We had been to high altitudes before and blue smoke from a TD42 was a mystery for us, later we came to know that its because of lack of oxygen at high altitude, due to which, combustion of diesel was not properly and that's why blue smoke, some times white smoke was coming out.

Over all, engine was as smooth as on normal altitudes, but driving up on steep slope, we noticed pauses from engine, which could be noticed only from silencer and they were in milliseconds.

Babusar Top at 4300 meters, uphill and downhill is very tricky, its almost 30 - 40 degrees downhill was a challenge, as newbies use brakes, and brakes melts at Babusar Top at 4300m, that's why most of the accidents happen. It took us 3 hours to travel down 45KM from Babusar Top, we used 4x4 Low gear, 1st and 2nd mostly.

On uphill, Nissan Patrol Y60 gave an average of 4-5 KM / Liter with Bantam Trailer, while coming back home, it did 8-9 Km / Liter.

It was over all fun, in Gilgit, a new Toyota Vego was in workshop for 21 days, its engine was seized, every one was praising out Patrols, even driving 2400 Km, Patrol had no problems :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
That's awesome mate, thanks and welcome to the forum. Your pictures put a different spin on your country for most of us here, we (mostly) associate that area of the world with conflict, terrorism and extreme danger. Your depiction brings a bit of normality to it all - fancy being able to go touring and camping over there without being a target for extremists !! Maybe, one day, perhaps we will all be able to do a tour over there in safety without fear of being kidnapped and sold to ISIL. I know that perhaps my view of conditions over there is less than accurate, but that is a common conception to most westerners (I would think). As I said, your post brings a sense of normality to it all, so thanks :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Thanks for appreciation,

I visited the link which you sent me, no doubt, for four wheel high altitude record, Chilean brother holds this record, as we been to 4903 meters, so I was just curious, if Patrol even been to such heights.

We had been to high altitudes before and blue smoke from a TD42 was a mystery for us, later we came to know that its because of lack of oxygen at high altitude, due to which, combustion of diesel was not properly and that's why blue smoke, some times white smoke was coming out.

Over all, engine was as smooth as on normal altitudes, but driving up on steep slope, we noticed pauses from engine, which could be noticed only from silencer and they were in milliseconds.

Babusar Top at 4300 meters, uphill and downhill is very tricky, its almost 30 - 40 degrees downhill was a challenge, as newbies use brakes, and brakes melts at Babusar Top at 4300m, that's why most of the accidents happen. It took us 3 hours to travel down 45KM from Babusar Top, we used 4x4 Low gear, 1st and 2nd mostly.

On uphill, Nissan Patrol Y60 gave an average of 4-5 KM / Liter with Bantam Trailer, while coming back home, it did 8-9 Km / Liter.

It was over all fun, in Gilgit, a new Toyota Vego was in workshop for 21 days, its engine was seized, every one was praising out Patrols, even driving 2400 Km, Patrol had no problems :)
Thanks for that I was interested in the high altitude performance. White smoke is a symptom of incomplete burn so that makes sense that you should see that on ocassions where oxygen content is low.

·
Registered
nissan
80 Posts
Awesome trip, I cant imagine how top heavy the high roof must be loaded with a rack. I have had some close calls which are enough to prevent me from adding weight up high.
Again, nice trip!

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate. Good pictures and writing!

As a TD 42 owner and a 4wder from China, these kinds of trip are always fascinating to me.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Patrol Pakistan, I'll telll you, it was really freaky to see two maroon/gold hi-roof patrols that look identical to our 12/89 TD42 truck.. Even down to the decals on the body!! Ours is a Cyprus import (to the UK). Owned since new. We've traveled over the years half way up Norway down to Gibraltar and only gotten as high as 1Km (Andorra). Even at 1Km we got white smoke... Excellent photos. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts