Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, yes i know these topics have been done to death but i think this is bit different (maybe lol)
ok its a 2.8 turbo diesel
new heavy duty radiator 3 core
new thermostat
fan working
injectors just renewed
head gasket done just before purchased car 6 months ago (no water in oil no bubbles in radiator no loss of coolant)

now, car does not warm up at all around town or offroad (runs at normal temp) but once hit freeway or open road this changes.
at 110 on freeway (f3 sydney to newcastle) it will climb to 3 parts up the gauge, vehicle empty except driver on most hills.
with any sort of "extra" weight in vehicle eg: loaded with luggage, loaded with passengers.
it will climb to 3/4 on the flat at times and almost to the "BAD" line on a hill on any open highway (100klm and over).

power also seems to be down a bit.

i am using factory gauge (usually sits at 1/4 all the time) this issue has started only recently gauge normally doesn't budge much above 1/4 even when really pushed.
one thing i have noticed is oil pressure seems to drop at same time temp goes up

here is some pictures for show and tell :)

this is cruising at highway speed (vehicle empty)

This is at highway speed going up hill (near top of ourimbah hill)

i haven't got any pics with vehicle loaded to show but it is higher then above pic

normally gauge does not climb like this, can anyone think of anything else i should be checking here???

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
First things first buy a decent temp gauge, that way you can find out exactly what temp things are getting to.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
x 10,000,000 on that oil pressure gauge mate. That really isn't a good sign!!!

I know you said the fan works properly but does the viscous hub get noisey on start up and drop away after a minute or two of higher rpm??????

My GQ 2.8 got hot and this was the culprit. Buy an aftermarket one that can be split and filled with oil again. That way when it goes you just drop it off trundle down to Toyota and get some oil to fill it again.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the temperature,
That temp IS wrong. I just drove a fully loaded GQ from Perth to Cairns and towed from Melbourne to Cairns. The whole trip my temp gauge sat no higher than half, with the exception of 48 degree days on the Nullabor. So between Sydney and Newcastle shouldn't be making the 2.8 do that, especially empty!

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Mavtroll yeah that's fair enough and have already thought that, but, being that gauge never climbed like this before i felt its still an indication of something not being right even if it is only going from like 82deg to 90deg (eg only), there is still an issue being that its not "normal" for the vehicle?.
i don't see how knowing exact temps makes much off a difference, any abnormal climb in temp means something is not working correctly i would have thought?.

has always sat around a 1/4, now sits up to 3/4 on highway. and almost hits the line at hot when loaded and going up hill. (getting near that line is the one that mainly concerns me)

or is there another reason why i should be getting after market temp gauge?
is the temp it is actually getting to going to help work out whats wrong?
or is it that factory temp gauge too sensitive and may only be like a 2 deg difference that I'm seeing? (going near the hot line must be bad though?)

@ AJS & goldtrol the oil gauge has always been all over the place, i figured dodgy gauge, what would the oil pressure dropping indicate?

oh and fan seems to run at engine speed all the time (albeit catches up), i have never heard a clutch fan on any vehicle change rpm relevant to engine rpm lol but that could just be me, either way if clutch fan was problem it should be heating up offroad/around town when fan is actually in use/needed highway speeds fan is usually not required or is this different for diesel??

·
Registered
259 Posts
@ AJS & goldtrol the oil gauge has always been all over the place, i figured dodgy gauge, what would the oil pressure dropping when temp climbs indicate?
excessive thinning of the oil.

I'd be putting good mechanical gauges on both water temp and oil pressure, possibly even oil temp. When you know exactly what temps and pressure you are getting you will know if you really do have a problem to start with.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't know if relevant or not, but, i am using penrite hpr 15 diesel engine oil changed every 5000k

·
Registered
nissan
1,731 Posts
The cause of the overheating is probably related to your new three core heavy duty radiator. They actually reduce/restrict air flow and cause problems (and this could be amplified at higher speeds which could be why you only experience this on the highway). You shouldn't need anything bigger/fatter than standard as these are engineered for correct air flow etc. Give the boys at Parkside Radiators in Adelaide a call for some advice (I know you are interstate) to explain the tech side - they have been in the game for a long time.
As for the oil pressure gauge, not sure, but could be faulty (which is not uncommon). About $140 from Nissan for a new one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
don't know if relevant or not, but, i am using penrite hpr 15 diesel engine oil changed every 5000k
It wouldn't be the cause of the temp problem. But there are far better oils out there for the price. Please tell me you didn't fall for Penrites "EXTRA 10" scare campain.

go get some Delo 400 or some Fuchs Ultralube 1540.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wouldn't be the cause of the temp problem. But there are far better oils out there for the price. Please tell me you didn't fall for Penrites "EXTRA 10" scare campain.

go get some Delo 400 or some Fuchs Ultralube 1540.
nah not to do with "extra 10" i have just always used penrite as found it to be a good oil at a good price, have used it for years and all my v8's etc

The cause of the overheating is probably related to your new three core heavy duty radiator. They actually reduce/restrict air flow and cause problems (and this could be amplified at higher speeds which could be why you only experience this on the highway). You shouldn't need anything bigger/fatter than standard as these are engineered for correct air flow etc. Give the boys at Parkside Radiators in Adelaide a call for some advice (I know you are interstate) to explain the tech side - they have been in the game for a long time.
As for the oil pressure gauge, not sure, but could be faulty (which is not uncommon). About $140 from Nissan for a new one.
was running fine when radiator was put in (been in for 6months) heating started later, dam $140 for gauge, pricey lol i have had it at a speacilist place here and they found thermostat to be very stiff (was a new one) so they fitted another new one but has not fixed it, they also checked out the cooling system and said it to be fine. :-(

excessive thinning of the oil.

I'd be putting good mechanical gauges on both water temp and oil pressure, possibly even oil temp. When you know exactly what temps and pressure you are getting you will know if you really do have a problem to start with.
possible oil pump is knackered? i know there is very slight leak somewhere near bottom of engine behind timing cover this leak causing pressure issues? drips down near aircon unit doesn't drip on ground

im hoping to find decent diesel mechanic in my area that may be able to check these temps and pressures plus boost levels but cant find anyone anywhere except westend diesel in wetherill park which is like 2hours drive

·
Registered
403 Posts
Put some decent oil in it :) probably sheared, GQ oil pressure gauges do whatever they please, mine will do as yours does, it has a mind of it's own and the first time freaked me out a little.

Why pay a premium for oils that are simply not up to the grade of some others 30% cheaper.

Your temperature is a problem, if it is behaving differently over the exact same ground you know well and it was not a creeping problem over 10 months etc then i needs to be jumped upon just incase.........if the car's radiator etc is in reasonable condition anyway I vote for a thermostat that doesn't crack as far as it once did or as it should according to the opening spec, lost track of how many times this has happened to me.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put some decent oil in it :) probably sheared, GQ oil pressure gauges do whatever they please, mine will do as yours does, it has a mind of it's own and the first time freaked me out a little.

Why pay a premium for oils that are simply not up to the grade of some others 30% cheaper.

Your temperature is a problem, if it is behaving differently over the exact same ground you know well and it was not a creeping problem over 10 months etc then i needs to be jumped upon just incase.........if the car's radiator etc is in reasonable condition anyway I vote for a thermostat that doesn't crack as far as it once did or as it should according to the opening spec, lost track of how many times this has happened to me.

lol decent oil is a big brush coated with opinions and marketing, oils aint oils!
as for the thermostat i have already changed a fairly new thermostat to a new one and had cooling system checked, no change. radiator/cooling sytem was checked at bells radiator service in toronto about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

thinking might try delo 400 as patrol_brad suggested in next service just to see how it goes.

a couple little theories i have had is, turbo not boosting correctly, exhaust blockage, fuel injection pump knackered not supplying correct fuel ratios.
can anyone discredit these or offer other possibilities? perhaps even a way to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
overheating...

hey el wardo ive had similar problems (although its a 2003 nissan navara)

ive done aall the same steps you have.. and my next step i think will be the water pump.. also afew mates have mentiioned that there could be an air lock; although if youve had the radiator fitted by a qualified mech then that shuldnt be a problem..

wonder if theres any way to test the water pump pressure?

also this wont apply to you because uve got a new radiator, but the radiator cap can sometimes get seized and affect it some how..

maybe gosford city council should take all the hills outa their freeways and we wont have any problems :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
lol decent oil is a big brush coated with opinions and marketing, oils aint oils!
You need to leave opinions out of it and deal only with fact. It mean spending hours learning about oils and what your engine needs.

When fnqcairns mentioned 'probably sheared' it was because when oil 'shears' it breaks down the V.I.I. (viscosity index improvers) which lead to viscosity change and sludge.

In Penrites quest for oils with a wide index they use alot of V.I.I. which leads to more shearing and more sludge.
There is a reason Penrite is the ONLY oil company pumping out grease and calling it oil.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
being that hpr15 is a semi synthetic shearing is not as much a concern is it, as synthetic oils are more resistent?
i understand that there is probably better oils out there but as i said i have found it to be a good oil at a good price (it is far from expensive) and been around for long time with good reputation.
and also as i said "thinking might try delo 400 as patrol_brad suggested in next service just to see how it goes."
so i am listening and taking on board ;-)

and you do make a good point, either way i don't think this is my issue at hand though.

thank you all for advice thus far

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I know the hills on the F3.
Smokey does get warm on these hills too when its a warm hot day/night.
I also tried everything to fix it as I also travel over the blue Mtns a lot and there are two hills to get up and over really wanted to fix this.
As mentioned in many other posts I found the new Nissan clutch fan hub to be not engaging properly and after adding more clutch fluid all seems to be working better. Can now hear the fan roar and on a hot day on Stockton recently all was much better. goodluck.

·
Registered
nissan
1,731 Posts
being that hpr15 is a semi synthetic shearing is not as much a concern is it, as synthetic oils are more resistent?
i understand that there is probably better oils out there but as i said i have found it to be a good oil at a good price (it is far from expensive) and been around for long time with good reputation.
and also as i said "thinking might try delo 400 as patrol_brad suggested in next service just to see how it goes."
Mate I'm running HPR15 as well with no complaint/issues, but have read a lot of threads about delo 400 and am thinking of giving it a try. If you do run it, can you post up your thoughts about the differences (if any) between the HPR and Delo?
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know the hills on the F3.
Smokey does get warm on these hills too when its a warm hot day/night.
I also tried everything to fix it as I also travel over the blue Mtns a lot and there are two hills to get up and over really wanted to fix this.
As mentioned in many other posts I found the new Nissan clutch fan hub to be not engaging properly and after adding more clutch fluid all seems to be working better. Can now hear the fan roar and on a hot day on Stockton recently all was much better. goodluck.
but if the clutch fan wasn't working correctly wouldn't i be more likely to heat up at low speeds as well as under load?
fans on cars usually only work when idling or at low speeds or when engine is under load?

the guy i bought the car off said that the hub was refilled with oil not long before i bought it, that's not to say he wasn't lying i suppose lol or even if too much was added or incorrect type could be another issue?

will definitely have to look deeper into this one, perhaps even just biting the bullet and putting a new one in($300 odd bucks though).
so genuine or aftermarket hub?

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Mate I'm running HPR15 as well with no complaint/issues, but have read a lot of threads about delo 400 and am thinking of giving it a try. If you do run it, can you post up your thoughts about the differences (if any) between the HPR and Delo?
Cheers.
happy too, have just done a change 1 week ago so will be another 3 weeks before change again. (approx)
the only things i have noticed different between the two is the ACEA rating, penrite being A3/B4, Delo 400 being E7, also Delo is suppose to be heavy duty , HPR 15 is only light duty .

so definitely worth a shot, hopefully the price doesn't scare me too much lol

1 - 20 of 59 Posts