Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a Gq the other day and found out that when I have the lights on everything works fine but when I flip the high beams on at first only the left side worked the right completely dropped out after a few days the left side doesn't work either low beam works fine but hight beam doesn't. Changed out the fuses checked the bulbs everything seems fine. Not sure what the check first?
Please any ideas guys and gals

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,471 Posts
Hi mate welcome to the forum, you'll learn heaps here they are a great bunch.

Ok your GQ does not have any relays for the headlights, the full current goes through the switch on the steering column.

The problem from your description is almost undoubtedly this switch. Remove all the Phillips head screw from under the steering column, the lower section will come off, them you can lift the top cover off. There is a big plug going into the lighting switch. Remove that and undo the screws holding it in.

Being really careful pop off the plastic cover over the copper fingers. They will probably be black and dirty. If you're careful you can clean the black stuff off with some fine sandpaper, and also bend the fingers to put a little more tension on the connection. This should sort the problem.

To help minimise it again and improve voltage to your lights, a good mod for the GQ is to use the power supplies to the globes as a relay trigger to power them direct from main battery with thicker cable. This reduces load on the switching, and improves voltage to the lights, making them a bit brighter and more efficient, and allows you to make the most of upgraded globes if you so desire.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mungrel

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,471 Posts
Yeah it's a bit odd. Surprising they are reliable for as long as they are, most don't have any problems for first ten years at the very least! But fairly common as the cars age...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The mk / MQ's have the same setup and issue

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks heaps mate,I'll have a look tomorrow morning. Yeah I've learnt a F#$K load already off this site. Absolutely a life and money saver since I bought the Shorty. Guys like you keep a newby out of the workshops.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,471 Posts
No worries bud, glad to help.

And yep Mavericks and GQs; same thing 1988 to 1997.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,471 Posts
Yep sounds the same GF.

Flicking to hi beam will kill the low beam as vehicles with H4 globes switch between the two, but if it had seperate hi and low beam lights the highs come on with the low beam, so that's perfectly normal.

On your new harness, check the trigger wire going into the relays (should be the 86 pin), as that is the one coming from the high beam finger on the switch on the steering column.

Usually the extra harnesses only take a trigger from the one side (driver's in most cases), so if that finger is the problem on the switch, you lose both high beams.

It's not hard to get the switch out, just unscrew the bottom plastic cover from the steering column, pop the top off, you'll see the screws and a plug to pop the whole thing out.

I believe a certain model pulsar has the same stalk? Not sure which though, maybe someone else can help, it maybe cheaper for a second hand one of these than a patrol one.

I just cleaned up the fingers on mine with light sandpaper, and bent them a bit further to improve spring pressure. This was five or six years ago and still works fine.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,280 Posts
rather than post a new one..

same problem

running a relay harness (one of micks)
lows fine, highs don't come on and also kill main beams
relays intact, fuses intact

toggle switch symptoms?
Does the high beam warning light in the dash still come on when switched to high beam?

Have you checked headlight bulbs?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,280 Posts
The high beam warning light also works of the same contacts in the headlight switch as the drivers side high beam. It does sound like you have a problem with your switch.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
rather than post a new one..

same problem

running a relay harness (one of micks)
lows fine, highs don't come on and also kill main beams
relays intact, fuses intact

toggle switch symptoms?
If it's the projector conversion then it's D2S not not H4 meaning whether your on low beam or high beam the low beam stays on and when on high you activate solenoids in the projectors to give you high beam. It does sound like a stork issue though Gary. If it was my loom it would still have the low beam on when hitting high beam.

Leethal with my halogen looms there is actually 2 separate looms and 4 relays in total so if there's a failure in stork on one side it doesn't kill both lights.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
replaced the stalk with the mav one to test it

same problem

1st time you go high beam you can hear the relay go off, subsequent tries default back to original problem of no high beams when flashed and only parkers coming on if switched over to hi (no low beam either)

I'm guessing that this is now pointing to the sub harness relay?

also. what brand relays are people using that rate like bosch/hella for quality?

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
have tested all inline relays with known safe relays and am still suffering from the same problem

so have replaced wand with a known good one (from the mav)
have replaced all sub harness relays with known good ones (from the mav)

that seems to leave either a dodgey sub harness or dodgey factory relays.

does anyone know which relays are interchangeable and can be swapped for testing. I'd rather not keep on gutting the mav for testing bits :)

just to add, when it does work (intermittently) the relay goes off like a shotgun - it's as loud as a solenoid when she triggers

Usually it will work once and then fail after that point
when driving if it goes on the high beams and spotties will shut off after about 3 mins

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
When mine did this it was a broken connection at the back of the light itself. Resoldered all and no more problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts