Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2014
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All, I was trying to use HDC Hill Descent Control at Jebel Hafeet in AL Ain, UAE.

However, it dint work for me. The Car would drive for a few seconds and then almost stop to a standstill emitting strange mechanical noise and then after a few seconds, HDC icon starts to blink. Is there anything wrong with my car, or am I doing it wrong?

My Patrol is perfectly fine when I drive it, but on HDC these mechanical sounds scare me? Is it normal?

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
You were trying to use it on the road?
Not sure that it would work. Isn't it meant to stop the car accelerating on really steep hills due to the lack of engine braking of an auto?
If so, it's probably set to a really low threshold and if you're on the road then you would easily exceed it.
No idea how it works but could the mechanical noise be the ABS judder?
Maybe you should try it instead on a really steep dune or in one of the wadis over Fujeira side. I can think of one that's pretty scary in an auto
Come to think of it, it's pretty nasty in 1st gear with a manual :)

·
Registered
nissan
268 Posts
Sounds like it's working ok to me.

I was out driving down a few steep rocky slopes and tried the control option. Lots of clicking and grinding as the computer works out which wheel needed greatest support to slow it.

I have had this feature on other vehicles and it was a similar process and sounds.

John b

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
for big dune drops and steep roads, simply use 4L and manually select gears.

Reactions: aravind777

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
i tried it once just to see how it works, makes some horrid noises but does work, i've not used it since, putting it in manual mode and using engine breaking is very very effective, it's as slow and controlled as my old manual gq was in first low.
very good engine braking.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Haven't had the opportunity but I know you need to go slow, maybe find a steep carpark ramp and test out. Not I. Busy times haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
i tried it once just to see how it works, makes some horrid noises but does work, i've not used it since, putting it in manual mode and using engine breaking is very very effective, it's as slow and controlled as my old manual gq was in first low.
very good engine braking.
The 200 is exactly the same. Shocking noises, sounds like a spring board constantly going off under the car as it jolts back and fwd. But using tip tronic between 1st-2nd in low is just about perfect.

Where it does work fantastic is on very steep decents that are very slippery or have a lot of loose rock. With tough terrain on steep inclines, having the centre diff locked and crawl control on, it will get up absolutely anything the tyres will allow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts