Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just priced one, $12000 :eek:. Wife said 'sorry'.
We have a 3 tonne two post clear floor,bought used about $3500 as I recall,bloody great,I can't recommend too highly,doing brakes and bearings at the right height,oil change,general walk-around check-over etc.Just make sure you have overhead room for the lift,and you will need a pad in the floor to take the weight [ had mine incorporated when the floor was poured.]There might be some going at the right price soon as the disease spreads.

Cheers,G.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,235 Posts
I can only dream these days, had a 4 poster back in the 80's, damn I wish I had kept it :). Wouldnt have he height here anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
11,008 Posts
We have a 3 tonne two post clear floor,bought used about $3500 as I recall,bloody great,I can't recommend too highly,doing brakes and bearings at the right height,oil change,general walk-around check-over etc.Just make sure you have overhead room for the lift,and you will need a pad in the floor to take the weight [ had mine incorporated when the floor was poured.]There might be some going at the right price soon as the disease spreads.

Cheers,G.
i also put a hoist in at home. 2 post clear floor. the absolute best thing ever. though i must say you find friends you never thought you had...
to be honest though it spends more time with broken toyotas on it than anything else.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i also put a hoist in at home. 2 post clear floor. the absolute best thing ever. though i must say you find friends you never thought you had...
to be honest though it spends more time with broken toyotas on it than anything else.
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Those guys with hoists. How talks your sheds?
As I am planning my shed. Just trying to keep it as low as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts
How tall is the tallest vehicle you plan on working on (probably your Patrol)? Add the height to which the hoist can list, then add a safety margin.

And don't forget that the whole area of the hoist needs to have that much clearance, not just the highest point of the roof ;). Seen the pictures of that scenario.

·
Registered
913 Posts
How tall is the tallest vehicle you plan on working on (probably your Patrol)? Add the height to which the hoist can list, then add a safety margin.

And don't forget that the whole area of the hoist needs to have that much clearance, not just the highest point of the roof ;). Seen the pictures of that scenario.
That’s what I thought. 4m walls. If i has room to make it longer than 9m. I was thinking I could get away with a 3.6m wall. As by the time it got to the car. I would then have 4m above the car. But I don’t have room to go any longer. Also don’t have funds to make bigger.
And I’m not putting a put in. As I don’t like pits.

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
966 Posts
Bear in mind that if a hoist can lift let's say 2m and your patrol is 2m tall you don't necessarily need 4m clearance because .5m of the hoist lift is taken up just getting the arms to the chassis so may only raise the roof height of the car 1.5m from where it usually is

·
Registered
913 Posts
I really should do a search for sheds or start a dedicator thread. As I have asked these questions more than once.

That’s a good point about lifting. So for me comfortable would be if the chassi was atleast 190cm off the ground.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,235 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wish I remembered the height of my mates shed. It was mint. But I do remember It was probably only 1.5m longer than a patrol Ute. 500mm at the front and a meter at the rear. Actually maybe a bit more.

But you could get a GQ wagon high enough to clear the fuel tank while standing up. Wasn’t much more room though.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts
Bear in mind that if a hoist can lift let's say 2m and your patrol is 2m tall you don't necessarily need 4m clearance because .5m of the hoist lift is taken up just getting the arms to the chassis so may only raise the roof height of the car 1.5m from where it usually is
For a two post hoist, certainly. Or a scissor type hoist. But not for a four poster.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those guys with hoists. How talks your sheds?
As I am planning my shed. Just trying to keep it as low as possible.

The hoist is a Tecalemit 3000XB,twin motor screw hoist,height to the top of the limit bar is 3.9m,and at that point it's 3.3m wide.Don't forget to allow for the diameter of the roller door when locating the hoist,mine is 3450 from the centre of the column to the door track and there is plenty of clearance when the door and patrol are both raised.If you play with things like Impalas,Fairlanes and Phoenixes you might have to reconsider that distance.Details for the base specs are on the manufacturers site

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
11,008 Posts
my shed is 7m long 6m wide and 4.2 to the gutters.
hoist needs 4m head height and wont get taller as its a clear floor design so all the cables run over the top.
but with the hoist as hard to one side as i can get it. i cannot get a vehicle in the other side. i have a 600mm work bench at the front and with just enough room to stand at the front i have to keep an eye on the spare tyre hitting the roller door at the other end. working around it is reasonably tight.
fwiw i have a tufflift 4t clear floor extra height unit. was i think just under 5k delivered and professionally installed. its closer to a pro level hoist than the cheapies they sell. but its been awesome, can lift the troll with a monster roof rack high enough to be able to walk under it with the exception of clearing the diffs without ducking. and single point safety release was the deal sealer for me.

·
Registered
nissan
43 Posts
Went through this not so long ago was keen on clear floor but went with standard as height wasn’t an issue.a mate has a 16x8 shed with doors along the side if that makes sense,so he can lift slightly higher than the walls

1 - 15 of 15 Posts