Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got my v8 in my gq and complyanced and on the road so i took it out today for a play. it is so much fun in the mud. we were at glashouse and went down this track that lead into a gourge type thing with a steep exit. it was tough to get out of. but whil trying the fuel pump shat itself. luky my mate who runs a 5l aswell had a spare fuel pump. anyway i changed it and got out. after all this it feels like it has lost some power not sure if its related to the pump being changed or what. it was very muddy and wet out today. but ther is definatly some difference in power....any sugestions
cheers

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
The 5 litres dont run a regulator do they? Don't they run a fuel return instead? the 5.7's run the regulator, id be looking at fuel pump or fuel filter, also dont over look your air intake if it got some mud in it, it could restrict air flow, my old 5 litre used to do that occansionlly. Id clean it out and it would make a big difference.

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alos why do i get between 22 to 30 litters of petrol per 100klms? its really thirsty?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
have you checked fuel pressure, blockage in intake, make sure the fuel reg vac line is on, they run a dizzy dont they???? it could of got retarded by a hard knock or something???

i would throw a timing light on it and check, retarded timing will cause a very noticable loss of power and bad fuel economy

·
Registered
nissan
222 Posts
put a windsor in it!

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
alos why do i get between 22 to 30 litters of petrol per 100klms? its really thirsty?
Wouldn't have anything to with the right foot would it?

I would check the fuel lines sounds like one might be crushed and the poor thing is starving, although the separate comments re fuel consumption and lack of power are inconsistent.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
easy fix, its a holden motor!!

rip out the p.o.s 5L put in a nice 351 problem solved!! :D

of topic i know but, seems like a funny choice for an upgrade? why not 350 chev or v8 diesel? or 351 for that matter? are they an easier fit?

as for power issue if not air or fuel you may have cracked a head or similar if running through water with engine hot, seen these engines have all sorts of problems from running through a puddle (was in a vh comodore a mate owned) and if it is the one with coil packs, keep them well clear of water they are expensive to replace and don't like water

fuel well its a little v8 in a big car so would use fair bit of juice

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it was cheaper to put a 5l in than a deisle and about 10grand cheaper than a 5.7 or 6l. also there bullet proof and reliable. also if it blows i can get another motor for 1000. everyone bags this conversion but i quiet happy with it. have done fuel filter and air fillter. no change so far. havent had a chance to do the timming light or get the fuel presure tested. cheers

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
for fuel usage get yourself a speed sender from marks adapters, it will be running rich as **** if u dont have it, my mate needs one as his uses about 30lt per hundred on 35s.

i would check your timing or make sure a line isn't kinked or u have put a cable tie on to tight somewhere, sounds like a simple fix

1 - 19 of 19 Posts