Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting an auto in my gq, it already has the 5L in and it's running with the Nissan 5 speed, just un sure about the strength of a Nissan auto and on the other hand Holden autos were never built for hill climbs and pushing around a brick all day. Can I bolt the Nissan auto straight up seeing as it has a Nissan manual already? This would be awesome as I would not need any further adapters! Possibly,
Please enlighten me on your thoughts
The reason this has come up is cause I'm lazy and the cost of gear reductions is more than a new auto box from the wreckers.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
give rodney at wholesale automatics in bayswater a call and he will tell you all you need to know about a nissan auto, if they are built right they are more than strong enough to andle it, you will need a stall to suit the v8 as well, throw a shift kit through it, big oil cooler and then its happy days!!

not sure if it will bolt to your existing adapter, in theory it should but he might be able to tell you that as well

cheers sean

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
The reason this has come up is cause I'm lazy and the cost of gear reductions is more than a new auto box from the wreckers.
id run the Nissan auto! if ya want it a bit stronger, put a auto out of the a TD42.

only because,
if your gonna run a Holden 5L and an auto box, you will loose engine braking! (you will loose this on the nissan auto also correct?)

if you can, jump in aun auto v8, position urself on a 20 degree hill, stick her in D or L1 and take ya foot of the brake... tell me what speed ya get up to?

i personally, if i was going to do this.. would run crawler gears in the transfer.

another $$ factor, you would need an adapot plate to bolt between the holden box and the nissan transfer.

IMO stick with the manual box

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
id run the Nissan auto! if ya want it a bit stronger, put a auto out of the a TD42.
As far as i know the tb42 and td42 autos were the same box, i the gu series were different in the valve body but a stage 2 valve body takes care of that and makes them pretty much the same, well at least thats my understanding of it anyway, i may be wrong!!

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
As far as i know the tb42 and td42 autos were the same box, i the gu series were different in the valve body but a stage 2 valve body takes care of that and makes them pretty much the same, well at least thats my understanding of it anyway, i may be wrong!!

no, i do beleive you are correct. and i retract my statement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts