Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard the news. GM is retiring the Holden brand as it struggles to compete in such a small market, Australia and New Zealand.

Wonder where that leaves the Holden V's Ford conversation? Has Ford won?

What happens in the super cars? Do they just get rebranded as Chevrolet?

Historic event!

Is Ford next?

Let the comments roll in😊

Reactions: turps

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Yes saw that, a sad day for Australia really but that is what a big country with a small population goes through with international free trade agreements, we just can't compete when we have one of the highest hourly rates in the world, we do have the highest minimum wage in the world right now.

25 million people all with many different choices means the automotive industry is dead. I remember when there were at least 4 motor vehicle manufacturers in Sydney alone. One by one they went bust or moved offshore over the years.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,742 Posts
The food industry will be next..
tourism has taken a hit.
Crime is about the only buisness that is booming.

·
Registered
nissan
945 Posts
Wonder if this is what labour minister John Button had in mind all those years ago. Bet he's rolling in his grave now. Successive governments of both persuasions have decided it's easier to dig stuff out of the ground rather than support a manufacturing industry in this country. Wonder where we'll be economically in a decade or two. Very sad.

Reactions: trev zd30

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Govt support comes from the public, with a population of 26 million in a country almost the size of the US that's a tough ask. As a comparison.

The US population is estimated at 331,002,651 people at mid year 2019 according to UN data and is equivalent 4.25% of the total world population. In population the US ranks number 3 in the list of countries.

The UK population is estimated at 67,886,011 people at mid year 2019 according to UN data. The UK is equivalent to 0.87% of the total world population. It ranks number 21 in the list of countries.

The population of China is estimated to be 1,408,526,449 people. This is an increase of 0.52 % (7,230,686 people) compared to the year before. Makes up 18.47% of the worlds population and ranks #1.

The population of India is estimated to be 1,374,937,024, it makes up 17.7% of the worlds population and ranks number 2.

The population of Australia is 25,499,884 which is 0.33% of world population. We rank 55 in the world.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if this is what labour minister John Button had in mind all those years ago. Bet he's rolling in his grave now. Successive governments of both persuasions have decided it's easier to dig stuff out of the ground rather than support a manufacturing industry in this country. Wonder where we'll be economically in a decade or two. Very sad.
Yes Jezza, with no industry being supported by our leaders other than mining, what will our young people do for work?

Interesting times ahead

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,603 Posts
Saw a documentary a while ago. A bloke who was putting the trim around the door sills, he was getting $150K a year, an unskilled worker
, no wonder the industry is broke.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,742 Posts
Think we all better get our home and car security on point.
$50 for a pack a darts..Not that hard to work out where they're gunna start shopping.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,673 Posts
Holden's gone they're $hit cars anyhow.

Reactions: 45/70

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually liked some of there products. Took till the VE until the commode was worth buying though.

Just no profit margin with how much they cost to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61 2014Titanium
39 Posts
I had a VH Commodore which I did about 200k on it. It was by far the worse car that I ever owned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,997 Posts
I reckon Ford Australia won't change much, they're selling lots of Rangers and small cars.

What I'm curious about is whether GM will bother to maintain a presence here or just completely abandon the Aussie market? Nothing appears to have been said about that.

Football, meatpies, kangaroos and German cars.

Australians voted with their wallets... everyone thinks they deserve an Audi/BMW/Merc. They used to be the cars you bought when you had 'made it' in life.

Reactions: trev zd30 and 45/70

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,673 Posts
So no more Lion badged cars imported after 2020. Will be selling all current stock might be able to pick up a cheap new Colorado .

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Holden have said on news tonight all gone but will support purchased vehicles with warranty for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Holden have said on news tonight all gone but will support purchased vehicles with warranty for 10 years.
Pretty sure that’s a regulation thing. For every car model. Built here or imported. They need to support the car for 10yrs.
Only problem will be trying to get them to approve a warranty issue in 5+ yrs time. Nissan struggle with warranty the day after you brought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,673 Posts
executives confirmed the company would “continue to support existing Holden customers” in terms of “warranties, spare parts and recalls” for “at least the next 10 years”.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,673 Posts
Mitsubishi at Tonsley Park still have a parts warehouse from when they pulled out of manufacturing cars here .

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,997 Posts
Ford's response, via Twitter:

1/1 - All of us here at Ford Australia are saddened to hear the news that Holden will cease operations. Holden is an iconic brand that holds a special place in the heart of many Australians, and has done so much to shape the Australian automotive industry and the country...

2/2 - Its vehicles have been worthy competitors both on road and on the racetrack. To our friends at Holden, thank you for keeping us on our toes and inspiring us to keep aiming higher. We will miss you.

Reactions: trev zd30

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,742 Posts
Skegs must be drowning his sorrows.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,766 Posts
The only thing GM have done well in the last couple of decades is cut costs, and it shows in their current vehicle portfolio, 99% of it is garbage.

Trying to blame Holden for their collapse is inaccurate and frankly a load of crap, GM pulled the strings, GM forced Holden's hand and if weren't for a couple of good MDs at Holden through the late 90's and early 00's Holden likely would not have been able to develop Zeta platform for the VE/VF, and possibly died off sooner.

But, they've just killed off their engineering division that had the most experience with mid/large RWD platforms, so I won't be suprised if that means no more RWD Cadillacs, and no more Camaros after Alpha platform is retired.
The bean counters have turned what was once the biggest and one of the most innovative companies in the automotive world into a shadow of its former self.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts