Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

Registered
So no more Lion badged cars imported after 2020. Will be selling all current stock might be able to pick up a cheap new Colorado .
I would make sure it's dirt cheap and you're keeping it for a long time because it will be worthless the day you take possession (even more so than a normal new car)

Parts, warranty etc support for the next 10 years by a company that has next to no financial interest in our market and backed up by 200 staff who probably don't give a rats rectum about their employer or their work opportunities doesn't bode well in an industry not known for their customer support now.

Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
I reckon Ford Australia won't change much, they're selling lots of Rangers and small cars.

What I'm curious about is whether GM will bother to maintain a presence here or just completely abandon the Aussie market? Nothing appears to have been said about that.

Football, meatpies, kangaroos and German cars.

Australians voted with their wallets... everyone thinks they deserve an Audi/BMW/Merc. They used to be the cars you bought when you had 'made it' in life.
In fairness, the other end of the market voted also. They wanted value for money and the likes of Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi etc are delivering that with inclusions and warranty's that Ford and Holden don't or can't seem to match.
I think you will see those brands continue to climb the ladder.

This kind of says it all. No Holden. If Ford didn't have the ranger, I'm not sure where they would be also. The only reason Hilux maintains the mantle is due to all model variants that they have. Ie 2wd etc etc. Think there is at least 10?? They have lost the dual cab 4x4 mantle as people got sick of paying Toyota tax for a substandard featured product.
  • 1st Toyota Hilux
  • 2nd Ford Ranger
  • 3rd Toyota Corolla
  • 4th Toyota RAV4
  • 5th Mitsubishi Triton
  • 6th Hyundai i30
  • 7th Mazda CX-5
  • 8th Kia Cerato
  • 9th Nissan X-Trail
  • 10th Mazda3

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
If someone just bought a Colorado or such from a Holden Dealer with a 5 year warranty, I wonder how far you would need to drive in say 3 years to get that 'free' servicing?

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
The best Holden that I ever owned was an EH ute. Paid $450 for it and sold it 3yrs later for $750. Also had a VC Commode wagon with a 173 in it, it was okay.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Registered
If someone just bought a Colorado or such from a Holden Dealer with a 5 year warranty, I wonder how far you would need to drive in say 3 years to get that 'free' servicing?
What about those that signed on for fixed price servicing for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB

They'll get it for 10 years.

I would expect other manufacturers lifetime capped price servicing to last for 10 years too, that seems to be the generally accepted 'lifetime' of a vehicle. After 10 years most cars aren't worth enough to continue with dealer servicing anyway

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Discussion Starter #28

My experience, which is limited, says most private garages can easily match fixed price servicing.

I found the dealer rarely charged as much as the 'fixed price' for most of the early services of my 2016 patrol.

As Geeyoutoo said it will be interesting for those that have 'free schedules servicing' agreements.

I guess time will tell............

Anyone care to chime in on what the super car will be rebadged as?

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Discussion Starter #30
Ford's response, via Twitter:

1/1 - All of us here at Ford Australia are saddened to hear the news that Holden will cease operations. Holden is an iconic brand that holds a special place in the heart of many Australians, and has done so much to shape the Australian automotive industry and the country...

2/2 - Its vehicles have been worthy competitors both on road and on the racetrack. To our friends at Holden, thank you for keeping us on our toes and inspiring us to keep aiming higher. We will miss you.
That's a very politely written response, given the rivalry between these brands. Almost like a 'guard of honour' as Holden walk off the field for the last time!

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Discussion Starter #32

Registered
What I'm curious about is whether GM will bother to maintain a presence here or just completely abandon the Aussie market? Nothing appears to have been said about.
They are pulling out of all RH drive markets. They have already sold off Opel and Vauxhall in UK/Europe and have abandoned all other markets except aust, NZ and Thailand, but as we know now, they are also abandoning those as well.
I heard they may consider a special vehicles business along the lines of HSV to import and convert certain GM vehicles in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
CRD Wagon
GM really screwed Holden, the customer, the Aussie tax payer and those here that worked for them and believed in the brand. We all knew this was eventualy coming but it still feels a bit of a shock. I'd like to know what's happening with parts availability because I was going to change the VE sedan over for a VF sedan at some point.

I dont think the product the commodore was bad. The cruze and the Daewoo stuff was/is for sure and I got some satisfaction by seeing their sales plummet after the Aussie made commodore was axed.

What's happening with luxury car tax and import tarriffs?

Are they gone? Hmmmm.

Registered
That's a very politely written response, given the rivalry between these brands. Almost like a 'guard of honour' as Holden walk off the field for the last time!
Or a smartly worded ploy to try and appeal to ex Holden customers , you know humble in victory or some crap. At least that's probably what they are hoping behind the scenes as they teeter on the edge of the precipice.

Registered
GM really screwed Holden, the customer, the Aussie tax payer and those here that worked for them and believed in the brand. We all knew this was eventualy coming but it still feels a bit of a shock. I'd like to know what's happening with parts availability because I was going to change the VE sedan over for a VF sedan at some point.
This is where they have said they will keep around 200 staff to manage this and warranty etc. That is the 10 year magic number they have indicated as that to my knowledge is legislated. All manufacturers have to support spare parts for 10 years from a model introduction. The question is how well will this be managed. Will the call centre be the whole environment and will it be local or subcontracted to Indiasia. How supportive will the disgruntled and screwed over local dealerships be etc. I wouldn't be buying one unless it is dirt cheap and you intend to run it into the ground as I can't see it holding any value past the day you buy it.
I dont think the product the commodore was bad. The cruze and the Daewoo stuff was/is for sure and I got some satisfaction by seeing their sales plummet after the Aussie made commodore was axed.

What's happening with luxury car tax and import tarriffs?

Are they gone? Hmmmm.
I doubt they will be axed without significant pressure and I'm not sure where that pressure will come from.
I see one of the news shows this evening were saying that dealers were keeping tight lipped for fear of retribution but they asked one about who he thought would still be buying the existing stocks and he fumbled and flustered dramatically and eventually said he had no idea.

I am sure there are going to be some bargains out there but how painful the longer term ownership will be is anyones guess, regardless of how they try to sugar coat it now. I've always liked commodores over the various non Euro options but there is no way I would be going there anytime soon now.

Does make me wonder about the future and direction of HSV. I guess their whole market now could be imported LHD conversions and if tax breaks were given this could open up an interesting niche market maybe.

V8 Supercars becomes interesting too. They could run a Chev Camaro which is more aligned with Ford running the Mustang but at least Ford sells the Mustang as a local dealer. And how does that make Nissan feel, why should they be stuck with a family sedan based race car. And if there is no more Ford "v" Holden/GM rivalry locally then what does that do to the format without another reinvention.

Registered
Since HSV hasn鈥檛 been on the Holden books for awhile. You can see some of there business cases like the Silverado have been leaning towards having nothing to do with Holden for awhile.
So I would expect they will just develop the business in to something more like American Vehicle sales. And other US importer converters.

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
Or a smartly worded ploy to try and appeal to ex Holden customers , you know humble in victory or some crap. At least that's probably what they are hoping behind the scenes as they teeter on the edge of the precipice.
I would say you are right on the money.

Make no mistake, it's all about sales and adding a disgruntled former rival bogan group into their bottom line with a bit of bogus sympathy is a win.

I was a Holden man, but that ended with the last of the Holdens (HZ Kingswood, Premier), I never liked Opel Rekord E (aka Vauxhall Carlton, Holden Commodore).

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
nissan
Agree..Hz was the last real holden, after tthat, they just made the badge on the grille larger to try and cover the junk behind it.

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Only Holden I ever owned was an ex company car HZ 202 SW that was my last race car tow vehicle, sold that in 83 to get my first 4by when I quit racing, it was quite good in its job as tow vehicles are not renowned for getting unsurpassed maintenance, but my earlier old ZB 302 Windsor Fairlane was the unsurpassed best (sorry I sold it really), it travelled the country with almost no maintenance, I drove it with 2nd gear missing from the auto for 2 years, one trip being from Sydney to Philip Island to race there, later fitted a C6 to make up for it, lol.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts