Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a Dellow Holden V8 bellhousing fit a Chevy small block? If not, can you make it fit pretty easy or would this be a huge job?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
im not familiar with the dellows gear. their product list lists chev v6/v8 and also holden 253/308. holden v8 came in 2 bolts patterns, aussie pattern (aka holden or trimatic pattern) and the standard chev turbo pattern. they are slightlyt different in a couple of the bolts, see here: Block Patterns - Holdenpaedia
the last pic and 2nd pic should show the difference fairly clearly.

its possible the dellows kit is pre-drilled with both bolt patterns, CRS offer this with their kits (another conversion joint). if not drilled and you get an aussie pattern kit, there will be enough meat to drill it anyway (the chev pattern is smaller). there are also adapter plates available here, and some people also re-drill the block to suit, but i wouldnt do this with a chev, because if you want to put a new chev in then you would have to redo the mods.

if your buying a second hand kit, almost all 253 (carby 4.2L) are holden pattern (there are some rare turbo pattern), most 308 (carby 5L) are turbo pattern, but there are a fair few holden pattern (maybe 70-30 ratio), and all 304 (efi 5L) are turbo pattern.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i belive the holden to chevy pattern is just a complete set of offset gearbox bolts try revheads.com.au they had some there good luck smokey

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
hey jelmer, i notcied youre chasing that dellows bellhousing on ebay. i can see from the photo it only has the aussie bolt pattern, but you can see all the meat in the area where the chev would need to be drilled.

also, i asked him the question about which gearbox this come off, he said petrol but that doesnt answer the question, because L28 is different to P40 input shaft, but i think you have both drivelines so you should be right.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was chasing that one but for that price I think it's better to get a new Chevy one. That way it wil fit with no problems. Only thing I don't know yet is which clutch fork and trust bearing they use.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i thought you were a L28 man!

you would need to speak to dellows to find out your fork and bearing question. im guessing it would use the standard bearing, but dont know about the fork.

ive got a rod shop (CRS) adapter plate here to suit the diesel. apparently this is better than their bellhousing, because you can fit an 11" clutch. and the bellhousing only suits L28. the adapter fits between the engine and the SD33/P40 bellhousing and comes in 2 different widths, to suit the 4 and 5 speed shaft lengths. you may be better getting one of them. mines also drilled with both bolt patterns, but that doesnt help you anyway

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am a L28 man:cool:! And my stroker is still "the" engine but I just want to try a V8. Rules changed a bit overhere so it is not that difficult anymore to get a V8 engineered.

Maybe I buy another MQ/MK for the V8 swap.

Ive had contact with CRS but all they say is "yes" or "no", no further information. I can't contact Dellow by mail, only by phone but that I have to call them in the night.
I currently only have a L28 5 speed but diesel 5 speeds are very cheap so that's no problem at all. Maybe the adaptor plate (like yours) is the best cause you can use the bigger SD33T clutch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
run a nissan diesel sd33 clutch n pressure plate just drill your flywheel to suit make sure the drilling is done properly good luck

·
Registered
nissan
145 Posts
Hi
When i rang Dellow, the kit as i was told by them about my converion im doing with the ford engine comes with bellhousing, fork, thust bearing, sprigeg bearing and engine mounts cluch & pressure plate.
Not shaw about the flywheel have to check that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I think the CRS adaptor is the best way to go, so I can run the big Chevy flywheel which we only have overhere. And the SD33T clutch will suit this flywheel better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts