Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at getting our house air conditioned. Our previous place in the NSW Southern Highlands had reverse cycle (Daicon) ducted. The question is, should I go ducted? What brands are good? The house is 5 bedrooms and a bucket load of other rooms. Not too worried about the cost within reason. It is only cold here for a month or so and not overly hot during summer, I do have solar for electricity but not for hot water (another story).

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,630 Posts
Good brands are Daiken and Mistubishi.

Up to you as to whether you go ducted.

Ducted vs splits

Look better. No split hanging on wall. Only one drain that can be run thru fascia into gutter.
Only one penetration for out door unit. Splits need a penetration for each unit and drain for each.
High initial cost. Better resale. Split after about tens years look dated. Ducted stick some new outlets on and return air grill and looks like new.

FWIW we have a ten kilowatt ceiling cassette in our main area and split in the bedroom. Ducted for us was not an option.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
I’m looking at getting our house air conditioned. Our previous place in the NSW Southern Highlands had reverse cycle (Daicon) ducted. The question is, should I go ducted? What brands are good? The house is 5 bedrooms and a bucket load of other rooms. Not too worried about the cost within reason. It is only cold here for a month or so and not overly hot during summer, I do have solar for electricity but not for hot water (another story).
We have a 15Kw ducted Daikin system, reverse cycle, had it for probably 8-10 years, bloody marvelous. We do have a single small split unit, also a Daikin, in our bedroom that we use from time to time when we don't need the ducted unit on. The one in the bedroom was replaced around 6 years ago as its predecessor was a bloody cheapie that basically fell apart so be careful about what you buy.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,475 Posts
Go ducted reverse cycle you will never regret it. And with solar power you be a double winner.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,730 Posts
We have a 15Kw ducted Daikin system, reverse cycle, had it for probably 8-10 years, bloody marvelous. We do have a single small split unit, also a Daikin, in our bedroom that we use from time to time when we don't need the ducted unit on. The one in the bedroom was replaced around 6 years ago as its predecessor was a bloody cheapie that basically fell apart so be careful about what you buy.
We have a Panasonic rc ducted,compressor unit on the verandah,very quiet,I specified the drain goes down the wall into a vent for the drainage plumbing under the paving-- the reason,I've seen a couple run into the gutter and the constant wet has caused it to rust out in that area.The unit can be run as a circulating fan only which we use to pump the warm air from the slow combustion stove into selected rooms.

Cheers,G.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
We have a Panasonic rc ducted,compressor unit on the verandah,very quiet,I specified the drain goes down the wall into a vent for the drainage plumbing under the paving-- the reason,I've seen a couple run into the gutter and the constant wet has caused it to rust out in that area.The unit can be run as a circulating fan only which we use to pump the warm air from the slow combustion stove into selected rooms.

Cheers,G.
Ours is situated beside the garage but is very quiet anyway, it drains into the guttering but no issues there so far. Mine can also be used as a dehumidifyer and circulating fan. The abilty to turn rooms on and off is a good feature, we have a couple of rooms that are mostly turned off and doors closed when AC is on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts