Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Need a bit of advise regarding a current project.
The old man is doing major renovations and as a part of this I have been lumped with doing the electrical side of things. Just needing some direction as to phone/TV setups as I'm wiring the new data around the house on the weekend. I know there are some pretty elaborate systems now-a-days but I'm only used to wiring fairly basic systems with one coax cable to TV points and one cat 5 to phone points.

We don't need anything too fancy, mainly just computer networking/internet and maybe foxtel at a few select points. My plan is to run two cat 6 cables and one(or two) coax cables to every new/existing data point and then running this back to a central hub in the garage. Am I on the right track or is this a waste of time?

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
What with how many things can utilise wireless nowadays, I'd say go for just one cat6 cable and leave a mousing wire in case coax is wanted down the track. Even then, with the right setup any video can be streamed to the target computer from a central machine via the network.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Wireless will never outdo hardwire (well not with current technology) especially in the reliability, security, throughput and response. Don't get me wrong, it's handy, but I still prefer hardline where I can. Especially if you can get a decent internet line that runs over 100MBps.

I would run at least 1 Cat6 line to every expected TV, Telephone and Computer point, and run to a central router (Gigabit router if you can). Then you can put in wireless access points/switches (wireless N if you can) to a physically central point in the house (or multiple for better coverage).

For TV, Run CoAX from the FTA antenna (if he has one) to a central splitter/distributer (powered if splitting to more than 2 or 3 points, and an end point at each expected TV point... Foxtel, only if you want, otherwise foxtel install that anyway.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Use Cat6 and go nuts, the wire is cheap;)

It does not matter really what he thinks he wants, we ALL change our minds, and it WAY easier to go overboard now in the construction faze, and just run the wires, than trying to retro fit down the track.

As for WiFi, bah it has it's place, but hardwire is where it's at:D

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,167 Posts
Two cat6 and one coax to each point sounds fine to me except that I'd make it four cat6 and two coax to the most used TV location whether that is lounge or family room.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Ho Lee Fuk, I really do wish I knew what you guy's were talking about, too much for my ZD30DI brain :).

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I just wired up my old mans place. Ran teo cat6e cables to each room along with RG6 coax and HDMI. To the "TV" room I wired up all of the above plus an extra hdmi and fibre. I also wired up all the speakers and routed all wires in the whole house to a cupboard in dads study. This way he only has to have one multi zoned amp, one modem, one remote, one foxtel box ect ect. He can have all sources played in each room and I use a ir extender with a marantz macro remote. People pay big dollars for this kind of stuff but it ce in at under $600 for all the wiring and wall plates.
P.S im am an AV installer so its basic stuff for me. If you meed any help Iight be able to advise.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
The hdmi cable would have cost a bit. Everything else is cheap.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42
172 Posts
All I can say get good cable especially for data as cheap cable will effect your data speed, also wire up for data as you can run phone if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts