Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ones for the IT geeks.

I want to get some kind of server or PC I can use for my network that hooks up a few HDD's and even logon remotely to grab files, and mostly for backing up photos off my laptop and gf camera.

I have been looking at things like this:
HP Proliant N40L Microserver With 8GB RAM | eBay

But how much does this actually do? will it run like a PC more or less (can I plug a screen in?)

Basically a central computer to dump my shiite.

Any advice? Recommendations?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
I recommend a unraid server, I've built myself one using a second hand computer, works out to be so much cheaper and more flexible than a NAS. With unraid you have data redundancy so if one drive dies you don't loose any data, and can add any size drive whenever you need. Does take a little to learn everything it can do, but is very easy to get the basics setup and running. Forums are great, any issue I've run into has been solved with a search, I've been using it for a year now and still learning little tricks it can do.

My server is currently 15tb in size and it is setup to automatically download tv shows as soon as they become available, organises them and then serves them to plex along with my movie collection which I am able to watch on any device. It also handles my torrents and various other servers (teamspeak, minecraft, itunes, etc)

By default it runs screenless and you configure and access it via another computer, however you can set it up to run virtual machines, for example have windows running on top if needed. Can also setup a ftp server so you can grab files wherever you are.

That server you linked will work, but be aware you will be limited with how many drives you can put in it, if you use a standard computer, you can have any choice of case to suit your drives.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with unraid, just a very happy user 8)

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Get a Synology NAS for simplicity. Hook it up to network, access from any computer, low power draw, can run some torrent programs on it and some other stuff. Need more space? Stick in another drive. No need to faff around with installing an OS or stuff like that. Low power draw.
Not enough grunt to hook directly up to a telly to watch movies on (I think), for that you'd want to build a dedicated HTPC.

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
I second LordBug recommendation.

I also have the Synology NAS and its the best out there. the thing just works.
I would recommend this one DS415 play

Its got a hardware accelerated transcoding engine to push the video to tv.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
417 Posts
When thinking about raid options, also think about why you want raid. It will protect you if a drive fails, but will help if your motherboard fails, the NAS is stolen or the house burns down...
So if the data is important, think about backup that is not in the same machine. I don't have as much data as the guys above (at my home) but what I have that is important I have a copy in Google drive or on a portable drive at work that I update every 3 months.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I dont know what to do yet.

I could use up this atx tower sitting here, its brand new and needs all the internals. For $666 I think i could build something "better" for cheaper. But the power usage will suffer. It is dual power supply and extra tall for servers.

But then that synology thing is there ready to go with a warranty.....hmmmm....

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
In my experience IDE/SATA and even SAS based raids aren't worth jack ****

I have had customers insist on using them and they are certainly OK, up until you have a drive failure.

Invariably the whole machine locks up on failure and rebuilding them after actually being able to work out which one has lunched itself is a pretty hit and miss affair. If it's a RAID1 you have some hope as the drives can both be removed and hooked onto a normal PC to read, but with a RAID5 you better have a good backup system.

Never use RAID0 except for a scratch partition for ripping, if you store data on one you have lost it irrecoverably on a disk failure.

Not sure how good the firmware on the Synology et al boxes are at handling disk failures, but as all these boxes use a Unix based firmware and a Unix file system you can't readily take a disk out and plug it into your Windows PC to read data.

My suggestion for someone who is not a geek -

Get a NAS box with 1 drive only of whatever size you need, and make sure the box has an ESATA port as well as USB3 ports. Then get a portable USB3/ESATA drive of the same size, plug it in the back, and do an overnight synchronisation of the 2 drives. The external drive is formatted as NTFS.

Now you have a network accessible storage, which will likely have the ability to let you get access from anywhere, and an easy way to move a copy of your data offsite, as well as an easy way to recover your stuff should either one of the drives fail - no RAID B/S to worry about.

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
I'm nowhere near as techy as some of the guys here but I run a pair of 3tb WD nas drives (one in the house and one in the shed) so as stated above if the house burns down, you get robed or whatever it's in 2 separate locations. They automatically backup at midnight every night. I also have a 1tb Dropbox account for offsite backup of important stuff (photos, documents). So I feel I've got good redundancy in case of failure.

Shane

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
^^

Glad I don't pay your electricity bill :)

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
417 Posts
Ignorant and unknowing......but watching and learning........
The more you learn the more you find out you don't know. The people who think they know a lot are normally idiots that know jack s$&t..... There is always another layer and more to know.

Reactions: bigbluemav

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Jealous ^
Yea I'm using plex, Its awesome at serving up movies, housemates access my movies through it all the time. Can play trailers, give plots etc.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Your all talking BS cos if you dont have an ECC ram protected pathway your prone to bit flipping and you just arent server grade. 90% of NAS are rubbish due to no ECC.

I have a LSI raid controller with battery backup I will sell second hand thats 3 years old. I used it for a 60 TB raid 6 home theatre PC build. Ive since moved onto the cloud with netflix etcetc. 4K narcos, anyone watch it? We watched 4k narcos using unblock.us with DNS masquerading to pretend to be in the USA and get 4k download unlike local Aussie. I have a 4k projector and a 140" screen so it was real nice. I ran a real server with ECC ram and this card, it serves over 1 gigabyte per second.......I like my home cinema but now Im either disc or cloud. Why not buy my HW at half price from retail?

I ran SAS HDDs not sata crapsumer stuff and my LSI raid card which is server grade does SAS natively

The hardware supports 256 seperate HDDs for petabytes

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
offer me pls I CBF'd looking up the original retail and the BBU

I could throw in 2x 4 sas hot swap array catridges but i cant be sure they still work. 100% the lsi card and BBU works

1 - 20 of 27 Posts