Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just looking for some feedback from the auto drivers on the forum, i am at a crossroads as my partner is really struggling to drive manual. pondering the possibility of getting a newer patrol with an auto.

i want to know what the advantages and disadvantages are? both onroad and offroad

particularly i was interested in how they go behind the 3ltr either Di or CRD....

i dont just want comments about the 3ltrs just some insight in how the auto is driving.

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Have owned both manual and auto 4X4's, currently own manual ZD30, If I changed vehicles now I would probably go for an auto. I suppose the main thing is what are you going to do with it, if your going to tow then you may need to do some mods on the converter lock up, there's point's for and against, but I think the auto may come out the winner, my wife has similar issues.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
have a search around, this has been asked a few dozen times.. theres even polls.

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have owned both manual and auto 4X4's, currently own manual ZD30, If I changed vehicles now I would probably go for an auto. I suppose the main thing is what are you going to do with it, if your going to tow then you may need to do some mods on the converter lock up, there's point's for and against, but I think the auto may come out the winner, my wife has similar issues.
only little towing, small box trailer to dump and a campertrailer everynow and again but mainly just driving during the week and 4wding on time off.

haha since you've gotten the auto has your life been easier wife wise? does she feel more comfortable and confident driving it?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
I have the auto on my 05 3l.
IMO they are great they do use a bit more in fuel than a manual but over all in the sand they are brillant and on rocky ground they are good. Over all I think you can't go wrong but that is my opinion.
The only down side that I have come across is the downhill braking is less than the manual but you learn to drive accordingly.
Towing you are limited to 2.5T.
Keep them servicing up to them and they will just keep going. Also have a good oil cooler fitted to the box cool.
Over all I am happy that I have a auto as my wife also does not like manuals thats why I got a auto so she can drive aswell.
Hopes this helps mate.

Wayne

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Autos are pretty much brilliant at "everything" except steep downhill decents, but with a little practice, you can drive to help that situation, or you can do mods to aid decents if you need to do them often.

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really appreciate the opinions! especially those with wives that enjoy it more because it is an auto!

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I went for an auto for the first time (other than a special build auto in the 80s), because my wife doesn't drive a manual. I wouldn't go back to a manual after having it now for 2+ years. If there's one thing that I don't like about the auto, it's towing up steep hills on the road; the gearing isn't as good as the manual. My camper towed much better with the manual than the auto, but in every other respect, the auto is better.

Steep hills in low range aren't as bad as I expected and the hand brake (not the wife) comes in handy on the really steep pinches. If you really wanted to improve off-road performance, then the reduction gears are an easy option.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
Have a manual 3l patrol for work and a auto 3l for personal use. I think overall the autos a much nicer car to drive around in not to mention better offroad in 9 out 10 situations. FYI the work car is a 2010 CRD wagon and my car is a 2003 DI wagon.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
THe autos use less fuel on the highway than the manual... Agree with everything else above.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
THe autos use less fuel on the highway than the manual... Agree with everything else above.
When not towing, my auto uses 1lt/100km, on average, more than my manual Di used, though the exhaust has made it a lot closer to the standard manual. The fuel economy when towing seems to be much the same.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys raelly helps out, i will be taking her out in the next few weekends to do some test driving of auto patrols, i really need her to feel comfortable as she drives it 5 days a week.

and just between us...i am not giving up a patrol to get a mazda 3 or corolla....its an auto patrol is my last chance, and i am very interested in trying it out.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
When not towing, my auto uses 1lt/100km. Cheers Ray
Man! that's really good. Haven't taken anything out of context so far today.:sorry:

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
When not towing, my auto uses 1lt/100km, on average, more than my manual Di used, though the exhaust has made it a lot closer to the standard manual. The fuel economy when towing seems to be much the same.

Cheers

Ray
The CRDs use more than the Dis use. But the autos have a higher OD ratio than the manuals - hence better mileage on the highway - make sure you compare apples to apples Ray ;).

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
The CRDs use more than the Dis use. But the autos have a higher OD ratio than the manuals - hence better mileage on the highway - make sure you compare apples to apples Ray ;).
As a general rule of thumb, autos have always used about 1lt/100km more than manuals, because of the frictional forces etc at work within an auto that consumes more energy. Autos may have taller gearing and take advantage of the torque converter, but that doesn't always mean better fuel economy. This of course is based on the older style autos, some of the newer ones can be very fuel efficient.

On another note, my CRD doesn't use more fuel than my previous Di, taking into account the fuel economy difference caused by the auto; and I have first hand experience of Di autos and their fuel economy as well. I always compare avocados with prawns. :D:D:D

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
177 Posts
the only thing i dont like about my auto, is driving down step hills any terrain. still not use to it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
the only thing i dont like about my auto, is driving down step hills any terrain. still not use to it.
I thought this was one of the BENIFITS of autos...

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Autos are for the handicapped and injured, lazy people, women/men who have never been taught to drive properly, little car in the city, taxis.

Long term, autos are more expensive to maintain.

4by is your vehicle, teach her to drive, or buy her a speedbump auto.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts