Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
nissan safari swb
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry to bug, just wondering how its done as I'm doing it myself and need it facing upwards so I can mount an intercooler with running minimum hosing as I am going to use a top mount intercooler. Also any advice on how I should connect the snorkel to the air intake of the turbo? was thinking of building a fibre glass box around a pod filter then connecting 3 inch tubing from the snorkel to the box then to the turbo so no water gets in. Sorry don't know much, 16 and first time putting a turbo on cheers. This is a photo of my cast iron manifold and reconditioned garret turbo.
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Its so easy to touch the wheels with the housings and once you remove whats locking them in place so be careful.

CHRA-" Center Housing Rotating Assembly" the part with the bearings in between the compressor and turbine housings

Clocking a Garrett

I dont see a waste gate actuator but it would be the first thing to remove
Sit the turbo on the manifold and check that the CHRA will be in the correct position with the oil drain hole facing down. If its not place it on the bench with comp wheel facing up loosen the bolts that clamp the turbine housing to the chra and rotate the chra so the oil outlet is in the correct position then do the bolts up. check

To rotate the comp housing you need to remove the large circlip at the back of the housing. Place the turbo on the bench with the turbine wheel facing up and remove the circlip a pair of bent Nose Internal Circlip Pliers work best for this. Once this circlip is loose you can rotate the housing and refit the circlip.
Just be aware once the circlip is loose or the bolts are removed there's nothing stopping the comp or turbine housings from separating from the chra and possibly damaging the wheels. Thats why i like to do it on a bench with the wheels facing up. It gives me some control in keeping the parts together and aligned.

If your using a internal waste gate there's a good chance the actuator no longer bolts up and will require a bit of customization to fit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts