1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was googling the net & saw this product:

TP-Link Mini Powerline Adaptor Starter Kit

I am not worried about whether the above example is good or bad, I just would like information on how those devices work. According to the spec, you plug it into a powerpoint and also via a lead into the router. Does this mean I can get rid of my wireless router? (I have a ADSL Modem & separate wireless router).

Do I have two plug two in (at opposite ends of the house) & my wireless devices just pick up a signal? Do I need to run a massive ethernet lead to the one at the other end of the house back to the router?

Honestly, I am not technically deficient, I just have no idea how these work.

Cheers,

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Magic

I don't know but my guess would be just inducting a transmission on a wire like anything other wired transmission, but the adapter is to separate the 240V coming into the transmission or receiver device.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
I would have thought they used the common earth throughout the house. After all active and neutral are usually divided into a couple of different circuits, besides if active or neutral wouldn't the neighbours see it if they had a similar modem??

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do they make the speed faster? My ADSL router is a DLINK 504T Gen 2. no idea of the speed. My wireless router is limited to the standard 54Mbps. how do these things give you unto 500Mbps.

In the absence of not knowing how they work, can anyone confirm they do work & how did you connect them up?

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Hey hey. I tried to search, clearly I failed.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question - how does it make your speed quicker - up to 500Mbps. I do not think my ADSL2+ modem is that fast. My wireless router is 54Mbps.

It is wizzadry

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am reading then link you attached & now understand. They are not what I thought they were.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Basically uses the power cabling in the walls as a network cable.
The speed is the transfer speed potential between devices (eg computer to computer) via the power cables, not your internet connection.

A good idea if wireless is just not working for you, and installing dedicated network points is out of your budget.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,573 Posts
they are not wireless as in wifi . I have them in my house to connect foxtel to internet. one near computer plugs into modem and one near tv has lead that goes to foxtel box and yes signal goes through house wiring.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I understand what they are & their use now. They are not what i thought they were, as such, are of no use to me.

Cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts