Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, bought a new nylon bushing for the gear shifter on the gq. how do u get the boot and stick out to get at the top of the box from inside the cab?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
Ive only ever done it in my rodeo, but yes it came out from inside the cab, once you pull the boots off there will be a plate with a rubber boot connected, remove the 3 bolts and the shifter should just come straight out. the upper nylon bush was hard to get off, so i put it between my rims and pulled it and it slipped off, i put it back on by pushing between the rim.

it shouldnt take any longer than 10 minutes once you get the interior off.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate but hoping someones done it on their GQ. havent really had much of a look to be honest but wanna kno how the boot comes off, seems to be screwed down to the floor pan and the carpet overlaps it quite a bit, looks difficult to get out, jus wanna know what the go is before i tackle it, nothing in the manual. Done em in my commodores before and stuff but they jus clipped down

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Sorry mate not what you want to hear but you have to start with taking out the carpet unless you are happy with putting a cut in it somewhere.
The rubber boot is sort of stapled to a big metal plate which is bolted to another even bigger metal plate which goes down the side of the tunnel next to the 4wd lever.

So the upper plate has the boots attached, to both gearsticks. they are 10mm heads some are bolts and some are self tappers, the "border" of the plate is about the same width all the way around, but the space between the 2 sticks is filled in with metal.

Now is a good time to pull the whole front carpet out, vacuum out all of the sand and add some extra insulation.

You could try dropping the gearbox crossmember, lowering the gearbox onto an axle stand (not a jack) and try to do it reaching over the top of the gearbox. there are 6 bolts to remove the gear stick, 12mm heads and you should be able to get them off with an upside down gear wrench. They are often stripped for some reason.
It wont be much fun pushing the gearstick up against the boots, and making sure you got all of the bits of the old bush out will be tricky too. You might be able to get away with this but it might take longer than pulling the carpet out too.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Done it a few times.
-remove front seats and centre console (lets you pull the carpet back more)
-remove 10mm screws from around the gear and low range levers
-unscrew gear stick and low range knobs
-slide boot with metal plate off
-remove round boot on the base of the gear stick
-There are 2 circlips holding the stick in, remove these
-pull the stick straight up and out (it may be abit stuck due to age but it will eventually come free.
-replace bush and reverse what you did to pull it out.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
thanks mate but hoping someones done it on their GQ. havent really had much of a look to be honest but wanna kno how the boot comes off, seems to be screwed down to the floor pan and the carpet overlaps it quite a bit, looks difficult to get out, jus wanna know what the go is before i tackle it, nothing in the manual. Done em in my commodores before and stuff but they jus clipped down
It is screwed to the floor. Move the carpet out the way.
Circlip holds the stick in the selector housing. Leave it in neutral when you take it out. Bush just pops off with a bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
I've done it without removing or cutting the carpet. Is bloody tight & good chance of cut fingers around the metal bit but doable. take about an hour or so. Did you get the bottom bush & the cup?
Dippa

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So as i suspected its a mission...

thinking of putting new carpet in it, and getting the drivers seat recushioned (adding some comfy supportive bits) and reupholstered so might hold off untill then to undertake the rebush. yeh ive got a lil round bush and a bigger cup like one with 2 little metal dowls in it, bought it as a kit so assume its all i need? as for the centre console... mines got a heater box in it (safari) so might blank the lines off and piff that out while im at it, get some storage space happening. back seat comfort/luxury and SWB dont go together in the same sentence anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts