Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many scammers out there these days trying to rip you off, how do you go about buying a car interstate without losing your hard earned cash?
I've seen a number of Patrols on the east coast that have interested me, but being from the west makes it difficult to purchase with peace of mind.
Have any of you purchased a car interstate and how did you go about it in a way that satisfied the buyer and the seller?
Cheers,
BM.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
personally I would never buy a car wih out seeing it in the flesh first, so my suggestion is pick the ones that most interest you, ask for as much detail as possible, heaps of photo's check this site for any info on the patrols, and finally if you interest is high enough jump a plane and go have look and test drive, and if need be drive one back home.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
There are many places that will check out cars interstate for you
Can even supply (at a cost) a full written report on such

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Find a Forum Member in the area that the Patrol is in, that is willing to go have a look and take it for a test drive. On the understanding that they get 1st pick (if they like and want it too) after you have made up mind on it. A fair bit of trust each way is required.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
tassie patrol said:
and finally if you interest is high enough jump a plane and
priced flights to/from perth lately :( Last time I priced thru works travel agent was close to a grand.
Expensive if it turns out to be a hunk of **** (Like the one I drove to bendigo today to pickup, and left there)

Its cheaper to go east coast to UnZud.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are many places that will check out cars interstate for you
Can even supply (at a cost) a full written report on such
I like the sound of this. Ok, lets assume I get this done. Car checks out. It's mechanically A1 and passes an inspection with flying colours so I arrange freight to the West.
How do you go about the transaction? If I pay direct debit, he can take the money and run (with the car). So that's out of the question. Same for bank cheque. Both parties need some sort of assurance the other is genuine.
The seller is not going to load his car onto a train that's going to the other side of the country unless he's got his money. I know I wouldn't. At the same time I don't want to pay him the money unless I know absolutely that the car is getting on the train.
So here we have a catch 22. What do you do??? (apart from jumping on the plane).

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
You bite the bullet and jump on a plane,
if it checks out and you've gotta transport it over there what's another grand for a plane ticket.
You never know the seller might really wanna sell you his car and a face to face meeting may get a nice discount if he sees that you have put alot of effort into the deal.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Look into escrow services. The money is held by a 3rd party ( for a fee). When you get the car and are happy the money is released to him.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Fly over there, purchase it face to face. . . and then drive it back for it's maiden 4x4 voyage straight up the guts of australia! haha.

:)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The 3rd party issues with money handling could pose an issue
Its good from the buyers point,but who would release their car without the $$$ first
Then you have the issues with encumberance on the car
Best to do,once you have got it all inspected and its satisfactory,is on the plane and of you go
Once there youll have to sort out what money is owed to who (finance companies ect)
The said car would have to be a fair bit cheaper than whats avaliable to you local

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Are there any car sales brokers out your way? They seem to do a good job here in Brissie. You tell them what you want, they find one within your specs, you go look, you like you buy. What's better is they can get better deals (if from a caryard of course) beacuse of fleet deals etc the do...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Where is it?

I am offering to drive a car to WA ( I put a post up about it ), I could get my Mechanic to have a look ( he is very good and old school in his abilities and techniques ). If you are interested I can probably help you out, give me a call on 02 6684 5395.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
The issue with "jump on a plane" is that sellers are full of ****.

He will dish out a grand on airfare etc and find its a chunk of ****. Do that 2-3 times and then you could buy locally

ymmv

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Good point Truckster
Ya certainly wouldnt just jump on a plane a whim
After youve shelled out good $$$ for an inspection and then your happy with the car
Maybe then on the plane
With mention of using forum members , that is really a good idea
Just seen it done in another forum
Saved the bloke a tho or more,let alone the purchase price
The seller told him it was a pot of gold
Forum members told him it was a total POS and wouldnt have made the return journey
Many will help this way

With mention of finance owing
That would be more an issue ,especially IF theres more owing than the sale price

1 - 15 of 15 Posts