Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just crawling around under the patrol and spotted some coolant leaking out off the bell housing. Heater hoses don't seem to be leaking. Would it be leaking from the back of the head? It's a td42t GU.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just poked a mirror and torch around the back of the head and can see coolant stains. What sort of cost involved in a new head gasket? Might be a bit advanced for my backyard skils

·
Registered
Nissan
807 Posts
You could try (or get someone to do it ) just cracking the headbolts undone a poofteenth....and then retensioning them.....not sure if this would work with studs tho. I had a 1200 Goldwing a few years back ....and the RHS head would weep around the headgasket. Cracked the head nuts and retensioned them and it would stop weeping for a cuppla years ....and then do it again ...same thing again... Dunno why only the RHS and not the other side tho ....but maybe it had something to do with engine dynamics and boxer vibrations or some such....but it never got any worse than a weep....and always stopped after "treatment"

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
11,008 Posts
is it definitely coming from the head or maybe from the front timing cover or thermostat and running down the back?

Heads on a td are pretty basic to do. but needs a few special tools and the ability to lift a 30+kg head.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it definitely coming from the head or maybe from the front timing cover or thermostat and running down the back?

Heads on a td are pretty basic to do. but needs a few special tools and the ability to lift a 30+kg head.
Definitely coming from the back of the head. Hard to see where exactly, I was just using a small telescopic mirror and torch. Wasn't a puddle there but could see the green stain below the head

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
731 Posts
As others have said, heads are not too hard to remove on the TD provided you dont snap an exhaust manifold stud off! Head gaskets and head bolts are relatively cheap too.

I know others dont bother to remove the inlet and exhaust manifold when removing heads but I did as I wanted to replace exhaust gaskets and put new studs in the head.

I was on my own doing the job so found it easier to just hook the head up to the engine crane so I didnt blow my back out.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is it just a matter of pulling it off giving it a bit of a buff up replace gasket and put back on or is there more to it?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
So is it just a matter of pulling it off giving it a bit of a buff up replace gasket and put back on or is there more to it?
The td curse..
How far do you go, well you could do studs, valve mods, port match all ya manifolds, new turbo.. etc
The head really should go and get a clean and skim regardless.

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
I'd say it depends on the condition of the head and block in the area where the leak is. If they didn't look too bad I'd be doing exactly what you suggest but if either looked pitted then some machining would be in order. This isn't that much of a drama with the head but is a major issue with the block.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd say it depends on the condition of the head and block in the area where the leak is. If they didn't look too bad I'd be doing exactly what you suggest but if either looked pitted then some machining would be in order. This isn't that much of a drama with the head but is a major issue with the block.
Ok thanks. I will leave it to the "professionals"

·
Registered
nissan
11,008 Posts
to machine the head means you have to remove precomps from head. not hard to do but most better to replace them once removed. They require protrusion when installed.
just something to consider.
But i would be sending the head for a skim and pressure test regardless of whats involved. just make sure that if your machinist machines the precomps flat with the rest of the head. clock him over the head with your head.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's starting to sound very expensive. Will most mechanics no all this stuff? It will be going to a small family owned and ran Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Surely they will put a straight edge over it?
Does it need machining if that comes up ok?
I was just talking to a mechanic mate and he reckons I should get it machined anyway. I'm really thinking about just ripping it off myself and taking it to get machined. I'm sure I would take more care when putting it back together then any shop.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
The td curse..
How far do you go, well you could do studs, valve mods, port match all ya manifolds, new turbo.. etc

Haha tell me about it! My old girl keeps pushing coolant into the overflow bottle and tonight I confirmed my fears by checking for bubbles in the old clear bottle installed in the radiator neck trick. :sad:

Seems I need to pull the head off the unopened silvertop to check it out. But how far to go, lol. Skim, crack test, 5 angle seat, new pre-comps, stud kit the list goes on!

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
The td curse..

Haha tell me about it! My old girl keeps pushing coolant into the overflow bottle and tonight I confirmed my fears by checking for bubbles in the old clear bottle installed in the radiator neck trick. :sad:

Seems I need to pull the head off the unopened silvertop to check it out. But how far to go, lol. Skim, crack test, 5 angle seat, new pre-comps, stud kit the list goes on!

Cheers

thats just what mine did a few months ago, started pushing coolant(225k old 42t running 30psi), lucky i was lazy and just kept emptying and topping up the rad as a few months later i broke a crank.
so pulle3d the motor and the big girl got everything you just said plus balance the entire rotating assembly. first and last time it gets opened..lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts