Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Wasn't sure exactly where on the forum to put this one - so good as place as any.

I had to take some clients to look over a some parts of a rural property the other day. They wanted to get down into a gulley to check out fencing and some other features.

There were no tracks, just native grass up to about 40cm high. To get to the area we want to (owing to erosion / washouts) needed me to work zigzagging down and then across the face of the slope near the bottom of the gulley - for about a km.

I must admit on a few occasions I did wonder at what angle 1 could still drive the vehcile at safely - not good karma to hurt clients??

Once the angle got too much for the vehicle I'm assuming the vehicle would have most likely broken traction and perhaps slide sideways with the slope of the hill (this didn't happen).

When about to leave the area I knew I had to do a 2 point turn - with the first action in reverse. I must admit I hesitate for a second and wondered whether the best way would be to reverse up the incline or down the incline. I reversed down, then forward a retraced my path.

So the point of thread:
1.) What angle can the patrol get to (and is there a way of measuring from inside the vehicle)?
2.) When leaving as described above - are you best reversing up / or down the slope?

Cheers
Guido

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
angle is to do with center of gravity, grip on surface, track width, and about 100 other things.

some cars when built are awesome, they just dont want to go over, others are weird, you climb out the window, stand back, *look at the car hands on hips* thinking, that shouldn't of happened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts