Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went and test drove a very late 11/2004, manual 4.8 (update model) 128,000km and was very underwhelmed with the power! It was dual fuel but i only tested it on petrol. Under 2000rpm it was less exciting that my TB42 GQ. Being a manual with 4.3 gears i really did expect it to be much more torquey down low.

Is this normal or do you think it may have troubles with the head from the lpg? It idled ok but i don't really have anything to compare it to.

Another dissapointment was him telling me that the interior was "Immaculate" and i would not find one better! Sure the leather was in good nick but the dash was all bubbled!!!!! Bloody hell. On top of that the clutch slave or master or the clutch itself was stuffed.

On a positive note it was very smooth and quiet inside.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I drove a 2002 TI Auto on Venturi LPG several weeks ago and although it went well it did however backfire and blow the airfllter housing apart
Havent driven a manual yet but the auto TB48's that I've driven do have a definite power and torque advantage over my TB42 and mine's no slouch as it revs ok with the lower ratio hence why i still own it

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Was a a while ago but I drove a 4.8 manual dual fuel and I thought it went really well.

I reckon the manual gearing is spot on always found the auto gearing too tall resulting in very poor engine braking.

Cheers

Justin

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Funny that you mention that, I'd always thought that TB48's would have very good torque down low being a big, undersquare petrol.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the one i drove had head problems because of the lpg. I just thought enen lpg 100% of the time 128,000km was too low for that.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Maybe the one i drove had head problems because of the lpg. I just thought enen lpg 100% of the time 128,000km was too low for that.
Perhaps it is way overdue for a valve adjustment

·
Registered
nissan patrol
426 Posts
Depends what your expecting when you try them. They do go well with nice smooth power for a stock 4wd. That said they are still a big heavy, boxy 4wd.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I drive a GQ on gas with a 360,000km TB42, so a fair bit better than that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts