Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not so good afterall:

THE California owner of a Honda hybrid [Hybrid Honda Civic] car has won her unusual small-claims court lawsuit against the automaker over the vehicle's failure to deliver its stated fuel economy.

Peters claimed her car never came close to the promised 50 mpg (21.26 kpl) and that it got no more than 30 miles per gallon (12.75km per litre) when the battery began deteriorating.
Heather Peters wins small-claims suit over Honda hybrid | News.com.au

Considering that you can get fuel economy like that with a diesel 4WD, which can weigh twice as much (Honda 1265kg), that's pretty pathetic.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
I was having this conversation with my dentist just the other day. He has a lexus RX400H and gets the same comsumption on his commute as I was getting in a diesel X5 I had a little while ago.

Why would you bother with hybrid when diesels like this are on the horizon:

Now seems to have been confirmed, triple turbo 3L 6 cyl to go into new sub division of BMW M's X5 and X6 with 280kw, 740nm

"With an acceleration rate of 5.3 seconds for the sprint from zero to 100 km/h, the BMW X6 M50d even outdoes 8-cylinder models, while its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is still only 7.7 litres per 100 kilometres." :shock:

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
the point of the hybrid was not for low MPG but rather reducing total emissions output.

somewhere, and i suspect it is consumerism to blame, things got muddled and we care more about MPG or L/km than total emissions output.

**** eh.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
But then there is the batteries to deal with. In there production and when they have expired.
So much energy going into their construction and destruction.

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
the point of the hybrid was not for low MPG but rather reducing total emissions output.

somewhere, and i suspect it is consumerism to blame, things got muddled and we care more about MPG or L/km than total emissions output.

**** eh.

Its still considered that a simple petrol powered, steel bodied, iron engined vehicle (like a wrangler for example) produces less emissions over its lifetime than a prius regardless of its L/100 or co2 g/km. lol

I feel sorry of someone that bought a hybrid thinking their doing their bit for the environment, lol, suckers.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Read somewhere that in its class the patrol is cheaper to run than falcadores etc.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,660 Posts
The last time work made me drive a Prius. I used 47L/100km. :)

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
It has been pointed out again and again, in a ton of reviews, that ALL hybrids are environmentally unfriendly! It is a FACT that they not only cause pollution by being made, but their batteries are toxic and, given the statistics show they are more often than not, used by a single occupant, make them less fuel efficient (per passenger) than MOST commuter vehicles...

What's more, they rarely make anywhere NEAR their claimed mileage, and are built so small and light (to allow for the heavy battery system) that they are actually a danger to their occupants.

They are the the single best example of the way PC trumps common sense in our modern world.

Do the trees a favour, buy an older car and maintain it, and keep it on the roads for another 20 years...

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
The last time work made me drive a Prius. I used 47L/100km. :)
WTF? 47L/100km? You'd nearly be better off in a helicopter. I think you likely meant 1L/47kms, eh?

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
WTF? 47L/100km? You'd nearly be better off in a helicopter. I think you likely meant 1L/47kms, eh?
Maybe, he was towing a trailer, off road...;)

And, i know it's spelled PRIUS, but it's pronounced PIOUS...

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
If it's milage they're worried about when buying a new car, they should get a small diesel like the golf or the ford focus, i've experienced both through mates and they were both getting in the 4-5L / 100km.

Plus hybrids destroy head light bulbs due the variang voltage in the charge cycle.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
i have driven a prius when they were brand new a few years back, rubbish. even felt worse than a corolla when you took away the "im driving a little piece of engineering history" i would never buy one. hydrogen is the go.

If i buy a little cheap car it will be a VW golf diesel. if its an expensive little car ill buy a BMW 1M. either way it will be from Germany.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
So lets buy a new car and with our personal driving styles TRY and get the same economy the factory claims they get
There will be a line up around the globe for complaints
My GQ has a bigger thirst than my old skool carb V8

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
And, i know it's spelled PRIUS, but it's pronounced PIOUS...
I'll second that. I have had more than one run-in with a PISsed PIOUS owner. They seem to think they are the ones saving the world and everyone should send their non-hyped vehicles to the scrapper in favor of an inbred one. They don't want to hear about the environmental cost of manufacturing a hyped vehicle or "recycling" a perfectly good vehicle. Nor do they want to hear about the environmental and human costs related to the batteries they use and all the plastics in them.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
A woman i work with drives one of these honda hybrid civic things. look OK... She works in marketing, pushing our products to industrial purchasers etc and generally trying to sell as much of out product as possible.

Here's the kicker.

I work for BP :grinroll::victory:

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
i have driven a prius when they were brand new a few years back, rubbish. even felt worse than a corolla when you took away the "im driving a little piece of engineering history" i would never buy one. hydrogen is the go.

If i buy a little cheap car it will be a VW golf diesel. if its an expensive little car ill buy a BMW 1M. either way it will be from Germany.
Hydrogen is the only way to go if you want to save the planet.

Fiesta's are from Germany and far cheaper too, BMWs and VW are getting a bad rap at the moment for reliability.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Hydrogen requires VAST amounts of (coal/nuclear generated) electricity to produce... IMO Hydrogen is probably false economics too.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Hydrogen requires VAST amounts of (coal/nuclear generated) electricity to produce... IMO Hydrogen is probably false economics too.
Is that right, oh well build more nuclear power stations by the coast and warm up the sea so it melts the Antartic.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
A woman i work with drives one of these honda hybrid civic things. look OK... She works in marketing, pushing our products to industrial purchasers etc and generally trying to sell as much of out product as possible.

Here's the kicker.

I work for BP :grinroll::victory:
I just signed on with Total, nous français n'ont tout simplement pas donner une baise.:D

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Embrasse moi, mets don doigt dan mon cul...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts