Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'day guys wanting to know how hard it is to fit the reduction gears and what you need to do it. cheers

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
I had 85% fitted a few years ago (by mechanic) I do know they had to use dremmel to remove some of internals of case and was in the workshop for 2 days - hope that helps

·
Registered
nissan
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fairly straight forward then?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,998 Posts
Had a mechanic install my 85% gears about 10 years ago, took him about 5 hours. Best addition to the patrol by far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: LordMayhem

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
And while replacing it, (assuming your transfer case was tip top condition inside) would the only things to replace be the seals at either end - or other stuff too? Maybe a gasket?

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
We didn't replace seals but we are hard core so no need. No gaskets required just sealant. And oil you need oil unless you keep the old stuff now that would be hard core wish I'd thought of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
How much are the 85% reduction gears & does the kit come with every thing that's needed.
Also are 85% reduction gears the best choice for a go everywhere tourer.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Both 43% and 85% gears require light grinding of the transfer case. Easy peasy with a 5" grinder. If you want to attempt yourself make sure you pick up an assortment of gear pullers. I also found that I had to replace most of the steel snap rings and the brass synchro ring (a few teeth were broken) - so there is a chance you may need to order a few bits and pieces. I also used my 12t press which was invaluable (both for pressing and holding the bastard while torquing the output pinion up to 300 Nm or whatever it is...).

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Both 43% and 85% gears require light grinding of the transfer case. Easy peasy with a 5" grinder. If you want to attempt yourself make sure you pick up an assortment of gear pullers. I also found that I had to replace most of the steel snap rings and the brass synchro ring (a few teeth were broken) - so there is a chance you may need to order a few bits and pieces. I also used my 12t press which was invaluable (both for pressing and holding the bastard while torquing the output pinion up to 300 Nm or whatever it is...).
Ok thanks, I have a 20 Ton press & the gear pullers.

·
Registered
nissan
76 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
425 Posts
After driving my truck with 63% gears i'd say that 85s would definitely be too low for sand driving.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #2
nissan
1,137 Posts
I've never used low range on the beach, is it common for people to drop it back to low range for a bit of sand ?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
what gear in std do you use low range in sand- 1,2,3 same as mud so with 85% use 2,3,4.I suppose if you ain't hardcore and dont like shifting between high and low it might be a inconvenience, but otherwise go hard haha

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
I've never used low range on the beach, is it common for people to drop it back to low range for a bit of sand ?
It is if you drive a 2.8t!

(edit, I've never driven on a real saltwater beach, but some of the sand I've done here is pretty cruel and wants to keep you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts