Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

just wondering what is too much lift for a shorty gq... i have an 88 model 4.2 turbo diesel which has a 2 inch body 2 inch susp lift but the springs have sagged and want new ones, but while im there, why not go higher?? but how high to go is the question...

any advice/info is muchly appreciated.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
My personal opinion is 2" max if you go anywhere near hills.

If you are more the rock hopper sort then 4" max. Trouble here is that you need to start spending big $$ on the suspension and drivetrain to make it all work.

I'd also take out the bodylift. They serve no purpose anymore.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Matters how much you wanna spend on pinion angle correction. Personally 2inch body lift and three in spring is perfect with 35's. You should be able to get away with a 15mm crossmember spacer and 20mm longer bottom arms...
Just my opinion..

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
What terrain do you drive and what size tyres do you run?

With this info we can suggest something that may be suited for you.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Matters how much you wanna spend on pinion angle correction. Personally 2inch body lift and three in spring is perfect with 35's. You should be able to get away with a 15mm crossmember spacer and 20mm longer bottom arms...
Just my opinion..
you do not need body lift for 35" tyres. A 2" lift is also sufficient and the damn thing goes everywhere and sits perfectly confident at huge angles.

I know because its been done on my mates Mav with no scrubbing! :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its on 35's, all the suspension is stock except for 2 inch coils and 3 inch shocks.
what mods would be necessary for a 4 inch spring lift?
cheers

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
You can fit 35" tyres but I would rather be that bit higher and gain the extra up travel...
No bumpstops extensions were added.

Simply creative guard trimming and removal of the front bumper (could have been modified but was easier to remove in this case).

The vehicle looked very stock afterwards too. Even refitted the factory nissan flares with some slight modifications as they had no more mounting tabs (think zip ties, holes drilled in the body and a general frankenstein look about it).

Also it works very, very well. The offset of the rims is unknown but with the flares on all the wheels sit perfectly in line with the factory flares.

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Castor correction on the front - aftermarket radial arms/caster plates and drop boxes.
Upper and lower trailering arms for the rear - will correct drive saft angles
May also need gearbox spacers.
Brake lines and brake balance valve extension.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
its on 35's, all the suspension is stock except for 2 inch coils and 3 inch shocks.
what mods would be necessary for a 4 inch spring lift?
cheers
castor correct in the front, control arms will also be a bad angle and the front end will work poorly compared to standard. would need correction with either drop boxes or drop arms.

the rear will need adjustable control arms so you can adjust the pinion angle properly. You may not be able to do this (it completely defeats the point of lifting your vehicle if you then use spacers to move the gearbox further down) without fitting an expensive double cardan driveshaft (you still need the adjustable control arms to fit this though).

Then you need adjustable panhard rods, new brake lines, adjustable drag link and there's probably more things I have missed (not to mention things you will need to replace once you pull it all apart and find things worn out!)

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
2" lift: approx $900
- 2inch raised coils
- 2/3inch raised shocks

3" lift: approx $1450
- 3inch raised coils
- 3/4inch raised shocks
- steering damper
- 2 degree rubber caster bushes
- brake bias bracket
- extended rear brake line
- 15mm XHD lower rear control arms or adjustable upper arms

4" Lift: approx $2400 to 2700.00
- 4inch raised coils
- 5/5inch raised shocks
- steering damper
- F+R extended brake lines
- droped radius arms or drop boxes
- F+R adj panhard's
- brake bias bracket
- 15mm XHD lower read control arms
- adjustable upper arms
- 12mm trans spacer

(if you get vibrations still, will need a high pinion diff.. no you dont need a double cardinal joint for a 4 inch)

i will not go on, because you get more components that i cant be botherd writing.

my recomendations to you, replace your sus lift with a 3inch one, with a 4inch shock and run your 2inch body lift.

i will be doing the same over time, in my SWB.. 3"+1" and running 35's.
i will over time add, adj drag link, and all the shizz needed for a 4inch kit.

suspension guru's can correct me if i am wrong. but we are all different.
if you need good solid guru advice, i would recomend Zordo or Oondy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
my swb sits at 11" lift atm, anything over 2" lift you will need many mods costing $2500 to $3000, you can buy full kit for $2500 but will stil need gearbox spacer and adjustable upper control arms to correct diff angles

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Having read all these comments coily don't be put off! if you want an awesome offroad patrol this is the way to go - but remember listed above is just off the shelf stuff there is more out there.
Have a look around at what you want from your rig then find people doing just that and have a chat and a look at there set ups.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having read all these comments coily don't be put off! if you want an awesome offroad patrol this is the way to go - but remember listed above is just off the shelf stuff there is more out there.
Have a look around at what you want from your rig then find people doing just that and have a chat and a look at there set ups.
im basically trying not to put all these spacers and the rest in, but i would like 3 or 4 inch flexy coils with 5 inch shocks.. but now knowing the gear box needs to be spaced, arms have to be replaced. sounds like a big effort

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
my swb sits at 11" lift atm, anything over 2" lift you will need many mods costing $2500 to $3000, you can buy full kit for $2500 but will stil need gearbox spacer and adjustable upper control arms to correct diff angles

11" lift in a shorty...

:worthles:

im basically trying not to put all these spacers and the rest in, but i would like 3 or 4 inch flexy coils with 5 inch shocks.. but now knowing the gear box needs to be spaced, arms have to be replaced. sounds like a big effort
yes, its a huge effort. and really, if your just out for touring medium to hard stuff, you dont need anything above 3" suspension, and you have a 2" BL, you have ample of clearence running 35" .. any more and your seriously going way over board.
the shorty its self, is already an advantage with the wheels being closer to gether.

if your serious about spending 2k - 3k, IMHO id go for a good 3" suspension kit, go 4/5" chocks, build urself some coil retainers and put the rest of the cash into a air locker in the front.

3" sus, 2" body, TD41 turbo, 35" treats, R' LSD, F' locker .. i dare you to try find something that will out perform it, with saftey and comfort in mind! (road registered, engeneered... no comp stuff)

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Mate if you do it right it is a very big effort, i've done a 6 inch in my wagon (wish i'd gone 4 now lol) and to make it behave onroad and work well offroad is the key - you can't cut corners.
As i said look at what you want to drive then set it up to do just that and talk to as many people already driving what you want to drive, always get first hand knowledge.
At the end of the day it is worth it, mine drives quite well on road (my mrs drives it no probs) and flexes nicely off road.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

thats her, and not looking for on road performance, want the best flex and offroad performance... eventually it will end up in the comps.
EDIT: its the tough one :)

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
(if you get vibrations still, will need a high pinion diff.. no you dont need a double cardinal joint for a 4 inch)

Where can i get one from ( high pinion diff ) also is it just the centre u are refering to?

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts

Where can i get one from ( high pinion diff ) also is it just the centre u are refering to?

you will need to ring around,
mechanic shop may know, anyone that does drivelines etc.

what do you have as suspension wise?

longer lowers?
adj uppers?
trans spacer?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts