Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This is my first post on here but i have a question.

I know this depends on alot of variables, but id really love the heap for a ball park answer.

Im looking to by a N/A td42 that has 400k on the clock. the motor was rebuilt at 300k. Is it safe to turbo it running a safe maybe 10psi and still expect good use out of it? Im expecting it to have good service history and no or little blow by.

Id love to hear your thoughts cheers.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
I know people that have put turbos on original unopened N/A engines with over 300,000 on the clock with no obvious issues so I doubt that a reco engine with 100,000 on it should have any problems.

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
SHORT answer - its never too late as long as the motor is healthy !Good compression good oil pressure etc. Kms don’t mean anything to these motors.

LONG answer - Unopened silver tops are considered very strong amongst the td42 cult followers. I know that mine is, with over 465,000 kms on it , it gets 28psi rammed down it every day and doesn’t skip a beat . I decided to turbocharge it (at 450,000) with a a Gu turbo(ht18) and ran 12 psi for a while and it loved it. Every time I drive it hard with the current 18g set up I am a bit concerned about the integrity of the crank , touch wood.

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
I believe the two important questions are what internals the engine has, and how healthy it is.
For peace of mind, consider having a compression check and oil analysis done?

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Hey man,

Turboed my N/A blacktop at 300k with no previous rebuild. All i recommend is to make sure engine is healthy first and get a good tune when you have the turbo fitted. Should be sweet 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts